Thread: Be careful when selling on ebay!

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic aviationcombr's Avatar

Exclamation Be careful when selling on ebay!

Be careful when selling on ebay!

I sold an AeroClassics model few weeks ago to an user nicknamed danmarroquin (USA) and he claims he received the model broken (he just showed pictures of a model with the broken landing gear and elevator released). The problem is that he did not present photos of the damaged package (as he claims he received), saying that he had already thrown it away, and he refused to file a complaint with the USPS (I opened one at the Portuguese post office as soon as I received his message and ebay notice and I'm still waiting for response). In the same way that he claims that I sent a defective miniature, I can also believe that he received it intact and dropped it when he took it out of the blister.

Since his word is against mine and there is no concrete evidence from either party, it would be fair for ebay to oblige me to refund 50% of the value (I even offered the buyer another Aeroclassics miniature from the same airline, but with a lower value, without any additional cost as compensation, or something similar to what he says he received broken by the half price), but ebay decided to give reason only to the buyer (even if he did not present the damaged package as proof).

I totally lost confidence in ebay and closed all the listings I still had there (mostly postcards), and felt tremendously unfair that ebay took sides with only one of the sides, without reaching a compromise solution for both.

Therefore, I advise them to be careful when selling on ebay and to think twice before closing deals with buyers they don't know.
    D.R.Carneiro
    Aviation & Ships photography
    www.drcimagem.com

My new 1:400 models wishlist:
    | A300: VASP (first livery) | A310: Passaredo | A319: Brazilian Air Force, Turkish (2000s colors), Swiss | A320: ITA (Brazil), Iberia (old and new basic liveries), Ernest (Italy) | A321: TAM (first livery) | A330-200: TAM (2nd livery, red tail) | A330-900neo: TAP Air Portugal (3 different liveries), L-1049G and Embraer 190/195 | B707-300: Brazilian Air Force | B707-400 VARIG (re-release) | B727-100 Cruzeiro (first livery), Itapemirim Cargo | B737-300: GOL, TransBrasil (last livery), Webjet, Flex, OceanAir | B737-400: VASP, TransBrasil and Donavia | B737-500: Rio-Sul (all liveries) and Transaero | B737-700: VARIG, GOL, Boeing (house colors) | B737-800: Webjet, EuroAtlantic | B747-200: VARIG PP-VNW | B757-200: OceanAir, VARIGlog, TACV Cabo Verde, EuroAtlantic | B767-200: VARIG (old livery re-release, Star Alliance and Landor liveries), TransBrasil (last livery) | B767-300: TransBrasil (last livery), EuroAtlantic | B777-200: EuroAtlantic | F-27: Rio-Sul, TAM, BRCentral | F-50: Rio-Sul, TAM, Nordeste, OceanAir | F-100: TAM, TABA, Portugalia (re-release) | IL-62M: TAAG, LAM | DC-4: VASP, Real, Brazilian Air Force | DC-6: VARIG, VASP, Panair do Brasil, Real, Brazilian Air Force | DC-7: Panair do Brasil | DC-8-62: Air Vias, MGM Grand Air, Rich International | DC-8-71F: VASP | DC-9/MD-80: Cruzeiro | MD-11: VARIGlog | Caravelle: Panair do Brasil, Cruzeiro (1st livery), VARIG (1st livery) | L1011: EuroAtlantic | Viscount: VASP, Brazilian Air Force | BAC 1-11: VASP, Sadia, TransBrasil, Brazilian Air Force | BAe146: Air Brasil, TABA | HS748: SATA Azores, Brazilian Air Force | YS-11: VASP, Cruzeiro | EMBRAER ERJ-135/140/145/170/175/190/195/E2: all liveries not yet released |

I stopped selling on ebay, too many worries.
    Philippe

Santos Dumont 1st to fly Pro Collector Otavio Santos's Avatar
    I sold 4 models on ebay and had problems in two sales. Never more.

Fellow Aviation Collector. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Cpt.Canuck's Avatar
    I am pretty much done selling on ebay.

Proud to be a; Honorary Aussie

Paresh's Wish List;
    Royal Tongan B757-200
    Air Pacific B767-300
    Air Pacific B737-200/300/500/700