Thread: 1/72 Vickers Viscount 839

Relief Pilot Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time QF747SP's Avatar

1/72 Vickers Viscount 839

I have been working with the much maligned Mach 2 Vickers Viscount for a few weeks.

I will be converting the kit's -700 airframe to a -800 by way of the Hamilton Hobbies conversion set.

It will be marked as one of two aircraft operated in the VIP role by 34 Squadron at RAAF Fairbairn during the 60s, decal from Hawkeye models Australia

I did make a start on the surgery the back in January (before the mojo well and truly kicked in) at a club build night, I managed to make the cut in the fuselage for the plug.

Another club build session a couple of weeks ago at our interim club comp and build day.

And I am into it now, started plugging window opening as I am using decals for the cabin windows, the fuselage plug was also cut down the centre and glued in

One side down

The other down and some putty applied, test fit of both halves together and some tweaking will be required

And starting on Friday last, some decent progress, Cockpit installed and painted

I have it on good authority the seats were close to this colour! Not you will see much when the 'transparency' goes on

Wings and nacelles

Also added prop shafts as the kit has a small stub on the back of the hub

Fuselage halves together with some help

Putty on and first round of sanding done, filling the recessed door details as they are wrong for the 800, I will be using decals to replace them with correct shaped doors.

and second round of putty going on

Overall fit is good after parts clean up, not sure what all the fuss about Mach2 kits is about :D

Next up was off with the nose so the radar nose can be installed

replacement nose on and the other horizontal stab and wings going on after more sanding

Finally the props assembled now

A little more filling and sanding to do and then the gear will be going together, I have also sanded and polished the notoriously poor windscreen part. It is look good after being dipped in future and has now been glued in.
    Ray

The windscreen has been installed and faired in, some milkiness at the bottom is future I think, hopefully it will be painted over after masking up the windscreen panels or goes away when the future dries properly.

The gear leys went on next, you can see a fuselage repair next to the nose wheel well where the fuselage was short shot, an easy fix with card and putty

The wheels were next, some pour stubs to clean up I think

and assembled

Final shot on its wheels, I think the nose gear leg is a tad long, the model has a rear down pose but should sit level.
    Ray

Windscreen masked and primer on, some small pinholes to fix up at this stage, I also chopped the nose gear down to give a more level stance

Filled and re-primed with the antennas installed. I had to scratch build the two on the tail, more to go underneath. So how I go with those.

(RAAF Convair 440 sneaking into the pictures in the background, trying to finish that one off that was started back in 2017)
    Ray

After some touch ups (read mask and respray all the white and a few sections of the light grey) I managed to mask and paint the wheel wells and exhausts

I then moved on to the slipper tanks, HH has moulded them a tad thin, so I did some surgery and modified them by adding a 4mm shim to the centre of each tank.

First one partly done

The dirty truth

Both reshaped and putty setting
    Ray

Some more assembly and painting, props still need to be finished. I had to add a shim behind the prop else it would rub on the cowl

I think I should have lengthened the gear rather than cutting the nose strut down. The nose doors look over size so I might trim them down a tad

And finally some decaling started

I am still working on the slipper tanks when when filled will ned some fairing in and touch up paint. I will leave the rest of the decals until after they go on and are finished. The anti glare panel on the nose will need painting as well
    Ray

Until I had a minor disaster with the decals after I masked over them to paint the antiglare panel.

I tried to match with paint which did not go well, so Pete at Hawkeye to the rescue with a replacement sheet. These new decals were done on a new printer so the colours for the cheat line are a touch different. I could not just cut a section out to replace the damaged area.

Off with the cheat lines, so some masking tape on the cheatline decals took them off nicely, I also removed one of the wing roundels as I had placed it too far outboard.

The slipper tanks were fitted...

and faired in with PPP which was tidied up and painted.

Masking of the nose after the decal/paint stuff up.

And finally masking off and ready for cheatline decals to go back on.
    Ray

And it is finished

Ray

OMG, I just watched all of your progresses and this was like a roller caster, lot of suspense!
    This is an outstanding result, very neat, I love it. You are very talented for sure.

Seen the way you work and the whole process is very interesting. It gives me the will to start modelling. Thank you for sharing.

PS: I like the beer in the first pics, it looks very yummy and nice name. Ales are my preferences in beers
    Philippe

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Very good and a master class in how to make a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear'. Well done.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Thanks gents
    Ray

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Terrific. Even the slipper tanks are there.
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Administrator Regular Hangar Mechanic
    Fantastic. Thank you for that. I noticed the spitfire ale. Hilarious.

David

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWA Man View Post
    Fantastic. Thank you for that. I noticed the spitfire ale. Hilarious.

David
    Yes, known as 'the bottle of Britain' ale!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines