Thread: 3D PRINTED ACCESSORIES IN 1/400 SCALE.

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic SPEEDBIRDGLA's Avatar

3D PRINTED ACCESSORIES IN 1/400 SCALE.

Providing that you are willing to do the painting and detailing, there is a wealth of 3D printed airport equipment on sale here:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplac...00+airport+gse

Also military aircraft, light aircraft, propliners, commuters and unusual types BAe ATp etc. Different scales to suit and buildings and other useful stuff.
    ukcolumn.org - for all the real news that controlled MSM never report.

it seems very porous, I don't think it will give a good result once painted and decalled
    Philippe

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic
    I purchased 4 under wing tankers from the 1960's and put a few coats of yellow paint on them and very satisfied with the results. Shapeways is a very good company to deal with they give you updates on the progress of your order.

Frank, Thanks for the feedback. I hope to order a few items soon.

CBL, The 3d printing process can leave a grainy finish but it certainly should not be porous. A coat of plastic primer and some fine finishing sand paper should smooth out any rough finish before applying a topcoat.

Not many here know my job (and I can't really describe it in a public forum ) but I can tell you that we have run porosity & surface area measurements of 3D printed item (from different media) and they all have high porosity (compared to castings) which is a limitation for many applications and require as you mentioned extra step rendering the 3D advantage moot.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDBIRDGLA View Post
    Frank, Thanks for the feedback. I hope to order a few items soon.

CBL, The 3d printing process can leave a grainy finish but it certainly should not be porous. A coat of plastic primer and some fine finishing sand paper should smooth out any rough finish before applying a topcoat.
    Philippe

Thanks CBL, I was not aware of that. Is the porosity due to the material used or due to air gaps caused in the production process? Hopefully the problem is not insurmountable.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDBIRDGLA View Post
    Thanks CBL, I was not aware of that. Is the porosity due to the material used or due to air gaps caused in the production process? Hopefully the problem is not insurmountable.
    It is due to both for all powder material, a bit less with thermoplastics and minor with liquid resin printing.
    Philippe