Thread: Question on selling models at enthusiast fairs

Relief Pilot Senior Hangar Mechanic

Question on selling models at enthusiast fairs

I am thinking of selling a large chunk of my 1:400 scale models at aviation enthusiast fairs over the coming years, as I find selling online a bit tedious if Iím honest.

My question is this; how many models (approximately) can you fit on a 6ft table, if they are displayed individually in their boxes, as opposed to in cardboard boxes or plastic containers?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.
    GC

Fellow Aviation Collector. Pro Collector Cpt.Canuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I am thinking of selling a large chunk of my 1:400 scale models at aviation enthusiast fairs over the coming years, as I find selling online a bit tedious if Iím honest.

My question is this; how many models (approximately) can you fit on a 6ft table, if they are displayed individually in their boxes, as opposed to in cardboard boxes or plastic containers?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Hi Jake,

Honestly depends on the amount of model, for instance if you have one table you should be able to fit around 100 if you had them on their side. Like Gemini jet and Dragon wings that have the model information all around. What I've done is had them on their side and with a sticky note priced them.

The only downside to having them out of the box and in the cradle is you will get the odd person who will then insist on taking it out and checking it cause in their mind its half way out so why not. I can understand if the buyer is serious in that case I then take out the model and place it on the table safely.

If you don't have around 100 ( of course I was just using that as a example ) and can place them on the back then why not. Again if you can fit them all on the table on their backs, I usually take out the model and place them in the cradle on top of the box with the price. Hope this help my friend, good luck.

Paresh.

Proud to be a; Honorary Aussie

Paresh's Wish List;
    Air Pacific DC-10-30 ARRIVED
    Air Pacific B767-200/300
    Air Pacific B737-200/300/500/700
    Canadian Airlines A320 Goose. ARRIVED

Hi Paresh,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding.

How many do you reckon I could display if I laid the boxes flat; the tables are 6ft by 2ft. Im just after a approximate figure so I know how many models to bring along with me to the fair.

I have in excess of 600 models with more being added to the collection monthly.

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Tom
    GC

Fellow Aviation Collector. Pro Collector Cpt.Canuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Hi Paresh,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding.

How many do you reckon I could display if I laid the boxes flat; the tables are 6ft by 2ft. Im just after a approximate figure so I know how many models to bring along with me to the fair.

I have in excess of 600 models with more being added to the collection monthly.

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Tom

Hi Tom

Well 600 is a lot and you won't be able to have them on flat, all of them. However having them on the side you can fit nearly that amount. I'd say about 30 to 40 flat on the back depending on the size of the model, what I would do is have a group laid on their backs that are rare or limited etc etc and the rest on their side. Or as you sell them replace with another model. For example if there's one that you know will sell cause its limited or highly sought after then have that first and as you sell them replace them, I've don't that in the past my self.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions if you have em.

Paresh.

Proud to be a; Honorary Aussie

Paresh's Wish List;
    Air Pacific DC-10-30 ARRIVED
    Air Pacific B767-200/300
    Air Pacific B737-200/300/500/700
    Canadian Airlines A320 Goose. ARRIVED

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Well Jake, you're going to have a long wait as due to lock-down, all aviation fairs have been cancelled til further notice, so tedious or not, your only option is to sell on-line.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Air Niugini. TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

1/400 scale new mould wish list ; Tupolev Tu-114, Tu-134, Antonov An-12, An-24, Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31, Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy, Airspeed Ambassador, Avro York

Well, I’m hoping the Kempton park fair will still go ahead as planned in November. As far as I know it’s still going ahead, but we shall see what happens nearer the time, and where we are at in terms of the lockdown.
    GC