Thread: REVIEW: Inflight200 CAF CP-140 Aurora (High Visibility Scheme).

Moderator A Retired Hangar Mechanic ACpilot's Avatar

REVIEW: Inflight200 CAF CP-140 Aurora (High Visibility Scheme).

Above: The very first Lockheed CP-140 Aurora on a test flight prior to delivery (Note that it still has the American Civil Registration N64996).

Inflight200
    IFP3011
    Canadian Armed Forces Lockheed CP-140 Aurora #140110
    405 “Eagle” Squadron, CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia, Early 1980s
    1/200 Scale

Production Limited 384 Units
    Released November 2011

In 1975, Canada awarded Lockheed a contract to replace 33 Canadair CP-107 Argus ASW aircraft with 18 of the Canadian version of the P-3C Orion known as the CP-140 Aurora. The first aircraft was rolled out on January 25, 1979 and was accepted into Canadian service in June 1980.

The main operating base is on the East Coast at CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia with No. 404, No. 405, and No. 415 Squadrons. No. 407 Squadron is based on the West Coast at CFB Comox, British Columbia.

Below: The Canadian debut of the first CP-140 at the Abbotsford International Airshow August 1979.

The CP-140 Aurora is based on the Lockheed P-3 Orion airframe, but mounts the electronics suite of the Lockheed S-3 Viking.

"Aurora" refers to the Roman goddess of dawn who flies across the sky each morning ahead of the sun. Aurora also refers to the Aurora Borealis, the "northern lights", that are prominent over northern Canada and the Arctic Ocean.

In 1991, Lockheed shut down its production lines in Burbank, California, for the P-3 Orion, which shares the same airframe with the CP-140. Three surplus airframes on hand were purchased by Air Command, but delivered without the anti-submarine fit. These three aircraft were designated the CP-140A Arcturus and were used primarily for pilot training and coastal surface patrol missions. The Arcturus aircraft have since been retired.

Aurora Structural Life Extension Project (ASLEP)

Since entering service in 1980 the fleet has gone through several upgrades including the Aurora Structural Life Extension Project (ASLEP). This project is proceeding with 14 of the 18 Auroras scheduled to receive new wings and the replacement of key structural components. The complete ASLEP solution replaces the aircraft's outer wings, centre wing lower section and horizontal stabilizers with new production components. All fatigue-life limiting structures on the aircraft are replaced with enhanced-design components and improved corrosion-resistant materials that will greatly reduce maintenance costs over the aircraft's service life. This program is expected to extend the CP140s' service life by 15,000 flight hours per airframe.

Aurora Incremental Modernization Project

The Aurora has been in process of being upgraded since 1999. This project is being executed in a phased approach with four blocks; blocks 1, 2 and 3 are complete, and block 4 is in the implementation phase.

Block I: Replace the high frequency radio and a number of obsolete systems.

Block II: Replace the outdated navigation and communication management systems, and associated radios.

Block III: Replace the mission computer and sensors (radar, electro-optics/infrared sensor package, ESM, and acoustic detection systems).

Block IV: Upgrade three key features of the fourteen block III configured aircraft: beyond-line-of-sight satellite communication, link 16 datalink (a military tactical data exchange network used by NATO countries), and self defence system.

The Model

This was the first release of an Aurora by Inflight200. The model represents Aurora #110 in the high visibility Lightning Stripe scheme that was used when the aircraft first entered service in 1980.

Photo of the actual aircraft, CP-140 #140110.

My copy has excellent paint and finish with no quality control issues. One has to be careful though, as often the delicate antennas on the model can easily be damaged or can even be missing entirely. I purchased a copy last year and it was damaged in this regard. I don’t believe that they were manufactured that way - just the wear and tear of the secondary market and poor handling by previous collectors being responsible.

Below: One has to be cautious when buying from the secondary market. A copy I purchased last year had missing and bent antennas.

Overall another must have for the Canadian Collection.

Highly recommended if you can find an undamaged example.

Dan

Site Owner A Retired Hangar Mechanic Cpt.Canuck's Avatar
    Fantastic review Dan, I got to tour a CP-140 during my Air Cadet years at CFB Comox in 1992. Quite the aircraft.

Proud to be a; Honorary Aussie

Paresh's Wish List;
    Air Pacific DC-10-30 ARRIVED
    Air Pacific B767-200/300
    Air Pacific B737-200/300/500/700
    Canadian Airlines A320 Goose. ARRIVED

Fly 'em, collect 'em Regular Hangar Mechanic MAX EGT's Avatar
    Proud to say, my collector card shows 001 of 384 produced.
    Fly it, like ya stole it!

I think they all say that

Quote Originally Posted by MAX EGT View Post
    Proud to say, my collector card shows 001 of 384 produced.
    Philippe

Fly 'em, collect 'em Regular Hangar Mechanic MAX EGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBL View Post
    I think they all say that
    So all the cards are stamped 001 on the back? Geez, now I don’t feel so special
    Fly it, like ya stole it!

Moderator A Retired Hangar Mechanic ACpilot's Avatar
    You can relax as I think someone is pulling your leg.

My collector card does not say #1.

Dan

of course you are special! I was indeed teasing you
    Philippe