Thread: Atlas C.1 ZM406 70 Squadron RAF

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic QF747SP's Avatar

Atlas C.1 ZM406 70 Squadron RAF

This is the Revell A400M 'Grizzly' kit but as an RAF example. Built almost OOB I updated the model with some features the operational aircraft has that the kit does not.

• - added airborne self-protection sensors on the wingtips
      - added additional antennas and drain masts on the lower fuselage
      - repositioned the ailerons, elevators and rudder in power off positions
      - added nano LEDs to the cockpit and cargo bay

Decals were from the excellent Babibi sheet which included the 100th Anniversary tail markings for 70SQN and the later release kit with correct walkways and door outlines.

Underneath

Lighting in operation

On display at this weekend's ScaleACT18 RAF 100 display
    Last edited by QF747SP; 11-12-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Ray

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Very nice. Just a couple of points, the name 'Grizzly' has never been adopted, as it was disliked by operators and the RAF call theirs Atlas C.Mk.1. Also you appear to have finished the model in a gloss finish, but ALL A400Ms are painted matt. I guess a coat of matt lacquer would solve that? Love the interior lighting .
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airway, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain.

1/400 scale new mould wish list ; Tupolev Tu-114, Tu-134, Antonov An-12, An-24, Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31, Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy, Airspeed Ambassador, Avro York

Great modelling skills, this is very nice. I love the added details and the lighting.

The Grizzly is the official Airbus name for the five test aircrafts, not the military variant which is the Atlas.
    Philippe

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic
    Very very nice!

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic QF747SP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Very nice. Just a couple of points, the name 'Grizzly' has never been adopted, as it was disliked by operators and the RAF call theirs Atlas C.Mk.1. Also you appear to have finished the model in a gloss finish, but ALL A400Ms are painted matt. I guess a coat of matt lacquer would solve that? Love the interior lighting .
    Thanks All,

Yes Adrian, I am aware that Grizzly was not adopted. The thread title states it as an Atlas, Revell first boxed the kit as Grizzly as that was the Airbus marketing name at the time and I was just naming the kit used... 'This is the Revell A400M 'Grizzly' kit '

I will eventually matt coat as I was trying to finish it to a deadline and time ran out for another coat to finish it off.
    Ray

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Juneau_Flyer's Avatar
    Fantastic work! I don't have that kind of skill.

Thanks for sharing

Aging Collector Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Very, very impressive. Thanks for posting.

Tnat
    Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1147models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/