Page 1 of 72 123456781151 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar

Perth Airport, Western Australia

I have been busy this week adding landside structures to my Perth Airport diorama.

I am building the airport the way I remember it as a teenager (when I spent many hours on the open air observation decks).

It is just a tiny airport by world standards. The terminal building was opened in 1962 in time for the Commonwealth Games which were held in Perth that year.

The basic terminal structure remained the same from 1962 through until the late 1980s when it was progressively demolished to make way for more modern Qantas and Ansett terminals (complete with airbridges).

I laid out the basic shape of the original 1962 structure in balsa wood.

Gavin

It has been a REALLY tedious modelling task replicating the 1962 architecture which was all columns and glass around the central courtyard.

After painting the blue and black "background" to represent the glazed walls I had to cut every damned window mullion to the correct size - quite time consuming!

Here's a progress shot

Then on to the main open observation deck - the part of the airport with the fondest memories for me. Unfortunately, lots of columns to measure and glue correctly here.

Finally more columns and handrails around the second observation deck in front of the "Orbit Inn" - a great place to buy an ale and watch aircraft!

In this photo I have also completed an adjacent TAA cargo structure.

[some Quebecair F-27s and USAF DC-3s "stand-in" for the locally based airline, MMA. Unfortunately, I can't get models of MMA aircraft in 1/400 scale ]

By the mid-1970s my much loved open observation deck had been built over

The original 1962 terminal structure was designed to cope with one or two 707 loads of passengers at a time.

In anticipation of increased passenger traffic with the arrival of the 747, the international arrivals & departures area was expanded.

A new structure was built forward of the old building line and over the old observation deck.

This building had to cope with the growing international traffic (sometimes handling up to four 747s at a time) until a brand-new international terminal was built on the opposite side of the airport (opened 1986).

To represent this era I built a "lift-off" module so I can portray the early 1980s period. Here are a couple of photos with the (still incomplete) building extension added to the diorama.

More work to do yet. This is still a work in progress. [a Qantas freight building has been added in balsa block form for the time being]

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 04-24-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic kiwiball's Avatar
    Very nice my friend, very nice!

Being a prototype modeller at heart, I do appreciate such work!

Thanks Kiwiball.

Here are some photos of the actual courtyard showing the architecture of the time. Black swans (the symbol of Western Australia) paddling in the pool and green lawns welcomed interstate and international passengers in those days.

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Here's a photo of the (then) "new" terminal building shortly after it was opened in late 1962.

Would you believe it, Perth's "old" terminal buildings were those converted war-time Nissan huts to the right!(demolished soon after the "new" terminal building was opened).

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic Hornet's Avatar
    Beautiful airport and something very special! It's different to those big airports with "mass dispatch" terminals.

Good work Gavin, I like it

Aging Collector Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    This is without a doubt, the best airport modelling effort I've ever seen. The accuracy of your re creation of this airport and its infrastructure is just outstanding.

We've seen a great many superb efforts on this forum, however this one will really take some beating mate.

Well done.

Tnat
    Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1147models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic PK772LR's Avatar
    very interesting and accurate piece of work Gavin, Even if it is time consuming the work and time has paid off

Quote Originally Posted by transnat
    This is without a doubt, the best airport modelling effort I've ever seen. The accuracy of your re creation of this airport and its infrastructure is just outstanding.

We've seen a great many superb efforts on this forum, however this one will really take some beating mate.

Well done.

Tnat
    Wow! Thanks Tnat! I didn't think it was THAT good!

Here's another real life view taken from the opposite direction to the photo above (from the "Orbit Inn" observation deck) showing the sunny side of an Air India 707 (note this one is carrying a spare engine in a 5th pod!)

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Lets Go Devils!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic sammyk's Avatar
    I am just loving those Air-India shots!

Got anymore?

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic Jeremy F.'s Avatar
    Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by sammyk
    I am just loving those Air-India shots!

Got anymore?
    Here are a couple more for you then Sammy. Both taken at Perth.

Back in the late 60s, the one international 707 (be it Qantas, MSA, SAA, BOAC or Air India) in the afternoon was the highlight of the day for the spotters at Perth! Hard to believe when compared to our much busier airport today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-30-2015 at 10:00 PM.