Thread: Phoenix 1:400 September releases

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic hkgdave's Avatar

Phoenix 1:400 September releases

Various dealers are announcing Phoenix releases for September.
    Here are the ones in 400 scale:

TAP Airbus A330-300 “Portugal Stopover” livery Reg CS-TOW

Korean Air B777-300 Reg HL7534

Hong Kong Airlines A350-900 Reg B-LGA

China Airlines A350-900 “Urocissa Caerulea” livery B-18908

ANA All Nippon B777-300 "Wave" livery Reg JA751A

Malaysia Airlines B737-800 Reg 9M-MXS

Capital Airlines A320 “Paul Frank” livery Reg B-6725

‘Misc.’ B747-267B Old livery Reg VR-HKG
    Eva Air A321-211 Hello Kitty “Friendship Bows” livery Reg B-16207

Alitalia B777-300ER New livery Reg EI-WLA

Finnair A350-900 "Marimekko Kivet" livery Reg OH-LWL
    Batik Air B737-800 Reg PK-LBL
    Batik Malaysia B737-800 Reg 9M-LND
    China Airlines B737-800 Reg B-1416
    China Airlines B737-800 Reg B-1417
    Etihad A380 Reg A6-APG
    Dave

Playin' mahjong, takin' tea... A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gyrocaptain's Avatar

Cool Not allowed to say Cathay Pacific?

For those of you wondering just WTH 'Misc' airlines is...

VR-HKG B747-267B

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Naughty Phoenix...hmmm, must order!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic
    I'd be wary Adrian, the PHX 747 mould is pretty shitty unfortunately :( (Unless they've updated it?)

I'm delighted to see the ANA "Wave" 777. Always wanted that one!

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic hkgdave's Avatar
    I'm happy I got the BigBird version in 2005.
    Dave

Yeah I got the revived BB -300 version last year. Such a stunner of a model.

I'm hoping JC Wings hurries up with those CX Tristars it announced. The CX and ANA L1011s are the two mega holy grails for me in this hobby!

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic PK772LR's Avatar
    The Misc should be really beautiful. Phoenix is really upping its game against Gemini Jets.

I really hope they decide to do PIA Boeing 747-200 Combi (AP-BAK).

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pakis...COv6BfAnN0c%3D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Pakis...btC%2B/bN0U%3D

It'd be better if someone else did the older 747s. The PHX 747-100/200/300/400 isn't a very good shape. Their -8 is good but if they want to do more of the classics, they need a new mould.

Cadet Trainee Junior Hangar Mechanic br82's Avatar
    My first post here although I've been lurking for some time. I'm mainly active on the 'other forum'...I just came across the Phoenix VR-HKG on the net by accident and then found this thead - it's release completely passed me by and has really surprised me, as I thought Cathay Pacific had clamped down on any models being made without permission? So is this one legit? I too am waiting for those CX TriStars, having pre-ordered way back in May.

I'm frustrated by this one. I also have the original BB400 VR-HKG and my 747 classic collection is made up almost entirely of the original BB400/AC mould releases; it's still the best version of the 741/2 in my opinion and as I'm so familiar with it, anything else pales in comparison - although the more recent Gemini 741 Pan Am release isn't too shabby...

But I've never bought Phoenix, just as Ultimo Tiger points out - it's a poor mould from what I can tell and probably will not display well next to the Big Birds. However they have depicted VR-HKG almost exactly as she appeared in 1979 delivery condition (I say almost - I think the black radome is missing), complete with earlier Swire logo and registration on the tail, which didn't stay there for long - it was moved down onto the cheatline in around 1980-81?

So for this reason I've bitten the bullet and ordered one, as a 'one off' - it will probably be still quite collectible. But I feel 50/50 about it.

Alex

WELCOME TO THE SHIP (....Ummm, Plane?) OF LOST SOULS BR82!

I've heard that the CX Tristars have been postponed. Disappointed as they are my holy grail. Once I've got them, I think I could hang up collecting anymore aircraft!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimo Tiger View Post
    WELCOME TO THE SHIP (....Ummm, Plane?) OF LOST SOULS BR82!

I've heard that the CX Tristars have been postponed. Disappointed as they are my holy grail. Once I've got them, I think I could hang up collecting anymore aircraft!
    Lol thank you

Those CX TriStars are my holy grail too. I still have a few others to go before I can retire myself however. I really do hope they happen, and with the AV400 mould as well!

I received the Phoenix VR-HKG, and it was pretty much as expected; the mould isn't great (wings look quite heavy - and not completely level - and engines are not very well represented; fanblades way too far forward in the cowling etc), however the livery application is very good indeed; the tampo print is crisp and the colours look accurate. All the details are correct to represent VR-HKG in 1979 condition - except the missing black radome, and for some reason, an extension of the grey painted area beyond the center fuel tank and further up the fuselage, which is not accurate. But it does not have the finesse of the BB400 mould; it just looks to heavy and almost toy-like in comparison, despite all the added detailing. No way is it a replacement for the original BB VR-HKG but at least it allows collectors to fill a gap, as that Big Bird model is very hard to find.

I wonder if we'll ever see the original BB400 747 classic mould in use again, or the subsequent revised mould released as Infight400/Aviation400 - which appears to have started back up again.

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Well I ordered the Cathay Pacific 747-200 VR-HKG, but what I received was a 747-400 reg VR-HOO. Never knew Phoenix made this and with no name on the box, it is clearly released 'under the radar'. Whilst I still want 'HKG, I am pretty pleased with 'HOO in the same livery.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines