Thread: Customising

Senior Member Senior Hangar Mechanic Lufthansaboy's Avatar

Customising

This has probably been asked before, but how easy/difficult is it to customise a 1/400? Whats it like removing existing decals and applying new? I have been looking at the Draw Decal website for ideas. Thanks for any advice.

Senior Member Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmasters View Post
    This has probably been asked before, but how easy/difficult is it to customise a 1/400? Whats it like removing existing decals and applying new? I have been looking at the Draw Decal website for ideas. Thanks for any advice.
    Acytone (NOT nail varnish remover) can bought from your local chemist for about 1.50 for a small 50mL bottle, and with careful use will easiliy remove existing "decals" from a model.
    As for creating new liveries I create my own decals from data and logos downloaded from the internet and then using MS Exel to gernerate windows/doors etc. So far generated over 40 custom liveries this way.

Professional Hangar Mechanic Senior Hangar Mechanic virginaustralia787's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmanGB View Post
    Acytone (NOT nail varnish remover) can bought from your local chemist for about 1.50 for a small 50mL bottle, and with careful use will easiliy remove existing "decals" from a model.
    As for creating new liveries I create my own decals from data and logos downloaded from the internet and then using MS Exel to gernerate windows/doors etc. So far generated over 40 custom liveries this way.
    how do you print them?

Senior Member Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time
    Quote Originally Posted by virginaustralia787 View Post
    how do you print them?
    Once you have the design/decals set up you do a few paper print outs to adjust the print size you need, the use clear inkjet decal paper to print them. Then seal them with 4-5 coats of acrylic gloss varnish.

Professional Hangar Mechanic Senior Hangar Mechanic virginaustralia787's Avatar
    @modelmangb
    thanks! i really need the info as i was looking to make a custom.
    voz787

Senior Member Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time MSX's Avatar
    Guys I have the following question, is there any official company/firm/shop that can make a customized model based on the molds, liveries and reg. numbers of your choice? By official I mean not some individual craftsman doing this stuff privately but some registered site, company, firm whatever that has some physical address, accepting credit cards, etc and specializing in orders like this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eastern Airlines Mogul A Retired Hangar Mechanic Capt. Rickenbacker's Avatar
    Most nail polish removers are acetone based. Only bottles marked as "non-acetone" remover have a different solvent...usually less harsh.
    "Aviation is proof that given the will, we can achieve the impossible."

The Downtrodden Worker's Credo: We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much for so little for so long, soon we will be doing everything for nothing forever.

Junior Member Junior Hangar Mechanic JBCousin's Avatar
    Therefore it is possible to erase the impressions of an original model with acetone without damaging the white (or other) bottom? No need to repaint the fuselage in white to make the desired livery? I prefer to ask than to try on my models.

Then seal them with 4-5 coats of acrylic gloss varnish.
    Is it not too much? The decals aren't too thick after so many layers?