Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Model Airport - Jas.me.uk

Lightbulb My Model Airport - Jas.me.uk

I started my model airport by buying the 1/400 scale GeminiJets airport terminal, GeminiJets Airport Mat and additional GeminiJets 14 piece ground accessories sets. I originally kept the 3 piece airport terminal and Airport Mat standard. After a while I decided I wanted to customise my model airport. The original plan was to add model grass, but this slowly changed over time and a simple log is shown underneath with progress bars. A new Herpa Tower set is the latest additional, again customised to fit my model airport.

Progress 100% - Add model grass to ground base and cut out grass areas on Airport Mat.
    Progress 100% - Customise Jetties.
    Progress 100% - Customise 3 piece Terminal buildings with external airline logos, office windows and internal shops, seating inside the terminal buildings.
    Progress 100% - Add Taxiway posts and signage to the model grassed areas and airport mat.
    Progress 100% - Attach mats to a permanent ground board.
    Progress 100% - Add Taxiway, Runway and external terminal lighting.
    Progress 100% - Add wear and tear to taxiways, runways and stands.

Progress 60% - Add a Control tower, add lighting, interior details to control tower.

Progress 20% - Customise Ground Vechicles.
    Progress 20% - Re-design the 3 piece Terminal buildings roof.
    Progress 20% - Complete edges around the Baseboard

.: The Pictures : Part 1 :.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg A.jpg (254.3 KB, 8 views)
    • File Type: jpg C.jpg (287.1 KB, 6 views)
    • File Type: jpg D.jpg (158.3 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg F.jpg (283.6 KB, 2 views)

Lightbulb My Model airport - Jas.me.uk - Pictures part 2

.: The Pictures : Part 2 :.
    • File Type: jpg H.jpg (65.4 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg L.jpg (259.4 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg O.jpg (226.9 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: jpg R.jpg (240.6 KB, 2 views)

Lightbulb My Model airport - Jas.me.uk - Pictures part 3

.: The Pictures : Part 3 :.

Lightbulb My Model airport - Jas.me.uk - Pictures part 4

My model airport has taxiway and runway lighting, taxiway and runway signage lighting, it has been designed with priority given for display purposes. My model airport lighting is created using 5 or 6 rolls of Herpa optical fibre and 1 Herpa LED box (Continious) and 1 Herpa LED box (Flash and chase). (I will be adding a video to Jas.me.uk to show where i have used the continious lighting and where i have used the flash and chase lighting.)

.: The Pictures : Part 4 :.

Lightbulb My Model airport - Jas.me.uk

More pictures/Videos are/will be available from my website Jas.me.uk, but i will also be keeping this thread updated with my progress,

I would like to thank my friends and family who have supported me in creating my model airport.

I do still have a few ideas that are still being planned but i would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, ideas on my model airport

Jas - Jas.me.uk

Master Yoda Ultimate Collector backfire's Avatar
    Are you sure that your not really Taki in disguise.!!!

Really Awesome work and look at all the Concordes!!
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Yes, this is very impressive.

That must have been a hell of a work but the results confirm that it was worthwhile

I also think that you must really like Concorde (and this is very fine )

Made in Japan 日本産 A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    Very impressive. At one point, I could not find any GJ's GSE from the retailers.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    My plane days are over. My ultimate goal is to create a mini Japan in my living room.

wish wish wish, whine whine whine, nothing for me....

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic PRESTWICK PIONEER's Avatar
    Taki, nothing would surprise me!!
    Jas, that is very good work indeed. Cannot fault your handiwork. If it is feedback you are after then how about a nice Cargo Terminal? As an airport worker, I like the clutter around the stands. It gets hectic at times out there on the stand. You should check out some photos of runway lights to improve the accuracy of your runway light layout and the markings (first two pix in post 4), you have done a good job with wiring and it will love you more if it looks even more realistic. Its just a case of fine tuning, you have put a lot of work in and it shows. Like the Jet logos on the bag bins. Well done on customising the jetways too. A fine job, welcome to the forum and look forward to your airport developing.

Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post

Really Awesome work and look at all the Concordes!!
    Im not taki, only Jas Thanks for the kind comments, the three concordes in a line was a memory i have of concorde at lhr, all 3 in a straight line (last day) and the virgin concorde just adds to my virgin collection.

Quote Originally Posted by CBL View Post
    Yes, this is very impressive.

That must have been a hell of a work but the results confirm that it was worthwhile

I also think that you must really like Concorde (and this is very fine )
    Quote Originally Posted by ANA Mohican View Post
    Very impressive. At one point, I could not find any GJ's GSE from the retailers.

Looking forward to seeing more.

My plane days are over. My ultimate goal is to create a mini Japan in my living room.
    Thank you for the kind words CBL, ANA Mohican, i have more pictures available on my website Jas.me.uk.

Quote Originally Posted by PRESTWICK PIONEER View Post
    Taki, nothing would surprise me!!
    Jas, that is very good work indeed. Cannot fault your handiwork. If it is feedback you are after then how about a nice Cargo Terminal? As an airport worker, I like the clutter around the stands. It gets hectic at times out there on the stand. You should check out some photos of runway lights to improve the accuracy of your runway light layout and the markings (first two pix in post 4), you have done a good job with wiring and it will love you more if it looks even more realistic. Its just a case of fine tuning, you have put a lot of work in and it shows. Like the Jet logos on the bag bins. Well done on customising the jetways too. A fine job, welcome to the forum and look forward to your airport developing.
    Hello Prestwick pioneer, thanks for the detailed feedback, Once i have completed the model airport to a point i am happy with, i will be looking at the GeminiJets Wide-Body airport hanger for customisation, but cargo wise i have an idea on a smaller scale (linked with Customise Ground Vechicles).

The Runway lights, i was thinking of doing as landing lights but due to a few limitations at the time decided for a departing aircraft at the end of the runway, but from research pictures it would of been simple lights, so using display as a priority i have added lights to the boxes in the middle, it does not show on the pictures but on the left and right of the runway they are chasing lights going in the same direction as the plane. I did light the 27L but this was just because of display purposes and at night it can be read

thanks for the detailed feedback

Jas

It's raining diecast Senior Hangar Mechanic titanic777's Avatar
    Yes nice effort Jas, I bet those fibre optic lights took some time to wire up?

Shane
    Last edited by titanic777; 06-13-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
    MY 1:400 WISH LIST

United Airlines Fan!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jet 8595's Avatar
    Beautiful work, you have magnificent skill!

Fellow Aviation Collector. Pro Collector Cpt.Canuck's Avatar
    One very cool airport. I can only dream of having a airport like that in my room, a model airport that is.

Proud to be a; Honorary Aussie

Paresh's Wish List;
    Air Pacific DC-10-30 ARRIVED
    Air Pacific B767-200/300
    Air Pacific B737-200/300/500/700
    Canadian Airlines A320 Goose. ARRIVED

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by titanic777 View Post
    Yes nice effort Jas, I bet those fibre optic lights took some time to wire up?

Shane
    Hello titanic777, at the time of designing, and adding the fibre optics it was slow progress, but it has been designed so i can adjust the fibre optic slightly to another hole or add more fibe optics at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet 8595 View Post
    Beautiful work, you have magnificent skill!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Canuck View Post
    One very cool airport. I can only dream of having a airport like that in my room, a model airport that is.
    Thank you Jet 8595 and Cpt.Canuck

Senior Member Master Collector steve k's Avatar
    You have done a great job of it, can only mention that your taxiway centerline lighting is much to close, and lighting the runway numbers spoils it a bit, not aware of any airport that lights the numberd up. Runway side lights again too close, should be 45m, 150' apart. Obviously with space constraints, the taxiway that runs parallel to the runway should be further spaced, but overall its a magnificent piece of work. Just a few things you exagerated for the effect, Im probably being critical to your great effort, just I have worked most of my life airside at Adelaide airport, and know the different spec's required by the CASA, FAA and so on. Anyway, You have done a great job of it.
    Happy to be part of Aviation Delight Forum
    Owner of Facebook group "1/87 Car, Truck and Earthmover Group."