Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AVATAR..............

United Airlines Fan!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jet 8595's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    Look what I have right here with me Todd!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Master Yoda Hangar Trainee backfire's Avatar
    Nice choppers!!

Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Eastern Airlines Mogul A Retired Hangar Mechanic Capt. Rickenbacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet 8595 View Post
    Didn't know this thread existed so here are my thoughts on this movie:

I didn't really want to see the movie, as it didn't look that good. Further into the movie i thought it was going to be a pretty good movie. Thats until it started to get, to me, a little bit silly. For me, i was going for the Humans and really, they should have won, but for some silly reason the "avarats" won and that just ruined it for me

End of Rant
    That would have been a crappy movie...the humans kick the ass out of the primitive natives by virtue of superior technology...duh. The fact that it was all geared toward the heroism of the Na'vi and the one main human character is what made the story interesting...how would the natives prevail? What would give them the edge? As I said before, this is a story told many times, but it's how the story is told each time that makes it great...and this was well told. Even if you didn't like the big blue kitty people.
    "Aviation is proof that given the will, we can achieve the impossible."

The Downtrodden Worker's Credo: We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much for so little for so long, soon we will be doing everything for nothing forever.

Not bad!!! Not bad at all!!
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

United Airlines Fan!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jet 8595's Avatar
    Very well put Capt. Eddie, though i stick to my "view of the movie"

Avatar 2 will head to the oceans

Sorry!! Had to change my shorts after this one!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36698664...ess_hollywood/

‘Avatar 2’ will head to the oceans, Cameron says
    Director also says a potential third film could soar into space

LOS ANGELES - “Avatar,” the top-grossing film of all time, showcased its groundbreaking 3-D technology as the Na’vi soared through the skies of Pandora — but in the film’s sequel, James Cameron intends to go aquatic.

The director told the L.A. Times that a planned follow-up to the blockbuster film would head for the fictional planet’s oceans.

“Part of my focus in the second film is in creating a different environment — a different setting within Pandora,” he told the newspaper. “And I’m going to be focusing on the ocean on Pandora, which will be equally rich and diverse and crazy and imaginative, but it just won’t be a rain forest. I’m not saying we won’t see what we’ve already seen; we’ll see more of that as well.”
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

He also hinted at space travel — and a potential third film.

“We created a broad canvas for the environment of film. That’s not just on Pandora, but throughout the Alpha Centauri AB system,” he said. “And we expand out across that system and incorporate more into the story — not necessarily in the second film, but more toward a third film.”

While “Avatar” cost hundreds of millions of dollars and took years to produce, Cameron said he’d have to trim the costs and time for “Avatar 2.”

“The challenge will be on the next “Avatar” picture… to do what we did before at half the price and in half the time,” he explained. “Again, that’s an impossible goal, we won’t accomplish that, but if we can reduce by 25 percent in both categories, we’ll have really accomplished something.”

In the meantime, “Avatar” will make a return to theaters in August with an extra six minutes of footage, with the DVD arriving this Thursday — just in time for Earth Day, a cause close to Cameron’s heart.

“I figured I’d be on vacation right now. I figured I’d make my big statement with the movie and let everyone else sort out what to do,” the director said of the film’s environmental message. “Turns out there aren’t that many people figuring out what to do… The average American doesn’t even believe climate change is real, they think it’s all a hoax… You’ve got to work against that.”
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

Hangar Crew - Moderator A Retired Hangar Mechanic Bravo-Alpha-Golf's Avatar
    I finally saw the movie last night. The graphics and technical genius were amazing. I was somewhat a little disappointed by the plot. It reminded me alot of a movie I had seen before in nearly every aspect of the story. Did anyone else see "Dances with Wolves"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo-Alpha-Gulf View Post
    I finally saw the movie last night. The graphics and technical genius were amazing. I was somewhat a little disappointed by the plot. It reminded me alot of a movie I had seen before in nearly every aspect of the story. Did anyone else see "Dances with Wolves"?
    I never saw Dances and the plot is one of the few complaints of people that still liked the movie. It didn't bother me any as I was there for the experience although, yes it was a certainty predictable.
    Now as for the graphics and Technical genius part... in IMAX 3D just multiply that by 100 times!!!
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

Training Captain Ultimate Collector JustPlaneCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    I never saw Dances
    You missed one of the best Westerns ever made.

You better check it out!
    Correct response to being robbed at gunpoint
    ---------------------------------------

THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF DEATH
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eastern Airlines Mogul A Retired Hangar Mechanic Capt. Rickenbacker's Avatar
    The plot is very old, there are quite a few movies with similar story lines. It's the way it's told that makes it interesting, though. By the way, the main character in "DwW" wasn't sent to infiltrate the Sioux, so there is a difference. A really good movie, but "Unforgiven" is a better Western.
    "Aviation is proof that given the will, we can achieve the impossible."

The Downtrodden Worker's Credo: We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much for so little for so long, soon we will be doing everything for nothing forever.

Cantankerous curmudgeon Supreme Hangar Mechanic Geoffll's Avatar
    I don' remember the part in 'Dances with Wolves' where the Sioux climb the floating mountains to fly the reptile beasts or where the Kevin Costner character transfers his consciousness into an alien body. Oh yes, and what great, undiscovered resource did the Sioux in Dances with Wolves have to offer the 'civilised' Americans? Hmmm.

Same story? That's like saying 'Titanic' is 'Romeo and Juliet' or 'Some Like it Hot' is 'Tootsie'. There are superficial plot resemblances, but then aren't there only about eight essential stories in all of literature? Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back etc etc.

What 'Avatar' has more than any of the other stories mentioned here is vision and imagination. Breathtakingly so. THAT is why it is a significant movie.

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic Abraxas's Avatar
    VirginBlue have painted up one of their 737's for the release of Avatar on DVD and Blu-Ray... VH-VUL

Dan
    Reaching for the Skies...

COLLECTION | TRADE | VIDEOS

Cantankerous curmudgeon Supreme Hangar Mechanic Geoffll's Avatar
    One of the best moments in the movie - ***SPOILER***

"Toruk makto. I will fly with you."

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffll View Post
    One of the best moments in the movie - ***SPOILER***

Oh Yes!!!!

Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

Hangar Crew - Moderator A Retired Hangar Mechanic Bravo-Alpha-Golf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffll View Post
    I don' remember the part in 'Dances with Wolves' where the Sioux climb the floating mountains to fly the reptile beasts or where the Kevin Costner character transfers his consciousness into an alien body. Oh yes, and what great, undiscovered resource did the Sioux in Dances with Wolves have to offer the 'civilised' Americans? Hmmm.

Same story? That's like saying 'Titanic' is 'Romeo and Juliet' or 'Some Like it Hot' is 'Tootsie'. There are superficial plot resemblances, but then aren't there only about eight essential stories in all of literature? Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl back etc etc.

What 'Avatar' has more than any of the other stories mentioned here is vision and imagination. Breathtakingly so. THAT is why it is a significant movie.
    You obviously forgot "Dances with Wolves". The white man destroyed the buffalo heards the Sioux needed for survival uprooting their whole village. It was too similar. Jokingly, even the length of the movies were nearly the same.