Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar

Model Review: GJ British Airways Landor BAC 111-510ED

Model: GJBAW208
    Airline: British Airways
    Aircraft: BAC 111-510ED
    Release Date: 9-15-2008
    Units: 1,500
    Notes: Landor

British Airways is the national airline and flag carrier of the United Kingdom and one of the largest in Europe. Its main hubs are London Heathrow and London Gatwick. British Airways holds a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Type A Operating Licence, and is permitted to carry passengers, cargo and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats. British Airways is a founding member of the Oneworld airline alliance.
    The British Airways Group was formed on 1 September 1972 consisting of BOAC and BEA. These two companies were dissolved on 31 March 1974 to form British Airways.

Background of Walter Landor’s professional life.

In 1939 Landor went to the US as part of the design team for the British Parvilion at the New York World's Fair. He then continued west to San Francisco. He decided to settle in the US and two years later founded Walter Landor and Associates in San Francisco. Landor had a talent in designing packagings and logos that appealed broadly. His work included brands like Del Monte, Marlboro. Fujifilm,Tab. and Bank of America. He also designed the corporate identities for many airlines, including Alitalia, British Airways, Japan Airlines, Delta Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, and Singapore Airlines.

The Pros
    With over 100 British Airways models in my collection and being a die-hard BA collector, this model was on the most wanted list. When it was released by Gemini Jets a few months ago I had to have it to go along side my standard Landor BAC-111 made by AeroClassics. I’m sure that many of you did the same, building up your Landor fleet. I’m also sure that you placed each model side by side and noticed major differences between the models, and it is not just the length of the fuselage I am talking about. These difference are both good and bad and I will explain throughout my review these features.

First up, the mould. It ain’t half bad! It is quite good actually. There are no horrible seems on show, the nose seems decent, the wings look ok and the engines are stellar. They are in fact better than AeroClassics’ BAC-111 engines as AC’s are too large, not true to scale.

The colour palate Gemini designers used is ok too. It is not the best in terms of the classic Landor grey used on the majority of the fuselage (more on that in the cons section), but the dark BA blue is spot on. The ‘British Airways’ titles are in their correct positions at the forward part of the fuselage just behind the forward exits and the classic red arrow-like line and red stripe on the tail is also the correct bold red. The crown on tail is subtle yet visible. All in all, a good finish.

Detail on this model includes the normal high standard of detail on models today. Everything from gear bay doors to rotating beacons and even tiny Rolls Royce labels on the engines give this already elegant model even more appeal. The cockpit windows are framed in silver borders but the cabin windows are basic black which actually turned out better rather than each window having a silver frame, as that would be an overdose of print for such a small model. Silver paint was also used to highlight the leading edge slats and engine inlets. A nice touch.

The Cons.
    Although this model is mostly accurate in colour palates and the overall finish is good, the Landor grey as mentioned earlier is quite poor. Every time Gemini produces a Landor model, they fail the Landor grey, the only model really passing the grey is their DC-10 and to some extent the 777. They failed with the BAE 146 and especially the 767 which was a total abomination. The BAC-111, in my opinion just passed by 0.0001. Albeit the grey is not as bad as the grey used on the 767, which is a stark blue-grey colour, but the grey on the 111 still has a hint of blue in its tint which is far from the colour palate Gemini used on the DC-10. Perhaps they lost the colour palate/charts for this model? The only company really to pass with flying colours on the Landor grey goes to Big Bird 400 and even they got it wrong in some instances. AeroClassics passed on their 111 but the colouration is wrong again, with a creamy-grey used.

The landing gear on Gemini’s BAC-111 is too short and the wheels are too fat. Gemini added printed bay doors to the model which is great to see but if this was a 1:1 version and the landing gear were to retract, they would get jammed on the outside. The doors are simply too small and unrealistic. Plus what makes it worse is that Gemini have fitted this tiny model with silly rolling gear which causes the ‘fat gear’ issue. Had they used normal plastic wheels, the gear would have been slim lined and more realistic.

The tail is the worst thing about this model. It is just too small. Looking at it closely, one would think whether this was even a 1:400 tail! It looks like a reject from Herpa Wings’ 1:500line. The tail is so small that even at a distance one can easily see that tail is not meant for this mould. It is noticeable at best, in your face at worst.

The wings are also on the small side. When compared to the smaller AeroClassics version, the wings on the AC are larger. Gemini’s BAC wings resemble the wing of and EMB-145.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
    1: Worst
    2: Bad
    3: Poor
    4: Could be better
    5: Satisfactory
    6: Average
    7: Good
    8: Great
    9: HOT!
    10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 7.0
    Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 9.0
    Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 5.5 (for paint accuracy and colour, 8.0 for finish)
    Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.5
    Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.0
    Verdict: 7.0/10

Final Verdict
    Although the model just passed the colour palate (thanks to the correct blue of the underbelly), the model does feature correct fonts and the overall finish is superb (AeroClassics standard). A nice classic little model does fill the gap and blends in with the other Landor models in the collection. Albeit, is has its issues but it is still an elegant model with a standard of quality and finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Adam

Moderator / Dark Jedi Master Collector R. Minor's Avatar
    Nicely done...
    Ron / Mr. Polo / Posted With A Mac / Honorary Australian Citizen

Watcher of the Skies A Retired Hangar Mechanic egpx's Avatar
    Great review, Adam. I think you are being a bit harsh on the tail. It is just a tad too narrow but not nearly as much as you suggest IMHO. I've attached a couple of pictures of the real thing taken at Duxford three weeks ago. It is also good to compare the colours, though the Duxford example has weathered quite badly.

My biggest 'con' is the cockpit printing which, on my example at least, is a bit cock-eyed. Over all I think it is a pretty decent model from GJ, not quite as good as their F100 but not far off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by egpx; 10-26-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    Try a little VC10derness

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egpx View Post
    Great review, Adam. I think you are being a bit harsh on the tail. It is just a tad too narrow but not nearly as much as you suggest IMHO. I've attached a couple of pictures of the real thing taken at Duxford three weeks ago. It is also good to compare the colours, though the Duxford example has weathered quite badly.

My biggest 'son' is the cockpit printing which, on my example at least, is a bit cock-eyed. Over all I think it is a pretty decent model from GJ, not quite as good as their F100 but not far off.
    I would agree with the cockpit windows, although Gemini's and AeroClassics' cockpits on both their BAC-111s are very similar.....but then again you probably know more about the details of the 111 then what I do

I still feel that AeroClassics did a much better job of the 111 tail on their shorter mould..........but hey, its all good.
    Cheers,
    Adam

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic Abraxas's Avatar
    Another great review.

I was recently at Duxford and surprised to see the aircraft on static display there was the same as the model released. Unfortunately, quite badly weathered as egpx has shown in the photos above :(

Dan
    Reaching for the Skies...

COLLECTION | TRADE | VIDEOS

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Great review Adam! I'm a real novice when it comes to types like the 1-11 ( I wouldn't know a good mould from a bad one if it bit me in the arse) Reviews like this, and the feeback, do help greatly when pondering a purchase.
    The DC-8 is the best commercial supersonic aircraft ever built!
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Proud to be a honorary Australian citizen.

Chris

Watcher of the Skies A Retired Hangar Mechanic egpx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Another great review.

I was recently at Duxford and surprised to see the aircraft on static display there was the same as the model released. Unfortunately, quite badly weathered as egpx has shown in the photos above :(

Dan
    The weathering of the paintwork is bad but I suspect it will be due a respray soon. The Viscount was in the preservation hangar where it presumably got a fresh coat of paint and I'd like to think that the other airliners will be getting the same treatment. I'd heard that the Trident was going to get a change of livery as well to the BA Negus scheme but I'm not sure if that is the case.
    Try a little VC10derness

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    I have two of these GJ 1-11s, as I wasn't happy with the demarcation line between the blue/grey round the nose on my first one. Result = both the same - higher on the starboard side than the port side round the nose!!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Air Niugini. TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

1/400 scale new mould wish list ; Tupolev Tu-114, Tu-134, Antonov An-12, An-24, Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31, Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy, Airspeed Ambassador, Avro York