Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Adrian's London Heathrow Airport 1960s-70s

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dc8mainliner View Post
    Adrian - very nice. Did you scratchbuild all the buildings? That's something else, I gotta say. Now you just need to people the tarmac and add lots of GSE and it will look just like the picture you posted next to it. Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Cheers,
    Chris
    The Control Tower behind is an Airport Designs card kit but everything else is scratchbuilt....there are no other kits of Heathrow buildings! Terminal 2 has a balsa frame, cladded with plasticard.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Moderator / Dark Jedi Master Collector R. Minor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    The Control Tower behind is an Airport Designs card kit but everything else is scratchbuilt....there are no other kits of Heathrow buildings! Terminal 2 has a balsa frame, cladded with plasticard.
    Adrian. It is so impressive. Leaves me speechless.
    Ron / Mr. Polo / Posted With A Mac / Honorary Australian Citizen

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jr.Lopez's Avatar
    amazing...more, more pictures...some upclose picturs..

Moderator / Dark Jedi Master Collector R. Minor's Avatar
    This entire diorama is so lifelike. I can hear the announcements over the PA system in the terminal.
    Ron / Mr. Polo / Posted With A Mac / Honorary Australian Citizen

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Very impressed. The skill you have is something I envy. I hope that, although she may not appreciate your devotion to your hobby, at least your wife recognised your skill.

I look forward to more pictures.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Time for an update and I have been busy working on Terminal 2, which is now about 90% complete.
    Terminal 2 is Heathrow's oldest terminal and was opened as the Europa Building in 1955 ... According to BAA, Terminal 2 will be demolished in 2009.
    Bloody hell! That is excellent work Adrian!

Although I have never been there, I recognize your model as LHR instantly from the many photos I have seen. The comparison photo you posted shows just how faithfully you have reproduced this terminal building and its surrounds.

What a shame to see a bit of aviation history demolished - that will be a sad day for you no doubt. I had to suffer the loss of my old childhood haunts many years ago as the old 1962 Perth Terminal was progressively demolished - can't go back, visit the "old" terminal and reminisce any more, its all different now.

Your model is going to look absolutely fantastic once you have it populated (at great expense!) with hundreds of cars in the parking lot, GSE everywhere on the aprons and lots of little people on the observation decks. BTW, are those observation decks still open today?

Keep up the good work Adrian and post more photos.

Gavin

PS - that is best angle to photograph the AC DC-6 - it actually looks like a convincing DC-6 from above and in front of the nose (just don't look at it side on ).

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller View Post
    Bloody hell! That is excellent work Adrian!

Although I have never been there, I recognize your model as LHR instantly from the many photos I have seen. The comparison photo you posted shows just how faithfully you have reproduced this terminal building and its surrounds.

Your model is going to look absolutely fantastic once you have it populated (at great expense!) with hundreds of cars in the parking lot, GSE everywhere on the aprons and lots of little people on the observation decks. BTW, are those observation decks still open today?

Keep up the good work Adrian and post more photos.

Gavin
    Thanks Gavin - even my wife gave me praise for this and even identified the countries' flags I had hand-painted!! I recently visited a wonderful modeller's shop in London called 4D model shop http://www.modelshop.co.uk/ thanks to Martin (of Manchester Airport fame!) and bought some vital basic materials including several packs of 1/400th cars, taxis and buses(you can order from them on line). I already have all the GSE I need from several AC sets and 3 sets of the recent excellent GJ GSE sets. Disappointed that the GSE in Andrew's BEA Viscount/Comet set were a work of fiction and not painted in the correct colours, so these will need a repaint...but we're getting there!
    Once Terminal 2 is finished, my next task is to give The Queen's Building aka Terminal 1 the same treatment. Alas, the wonderful viewing terraces on both buildings were closed after 9/11 on recommendation of the Government - not sure who is worst, the terrorists or the Government!!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Relief Pilot Senior Hangar Mechanic
    Adrian.

This looks sooooo great!! This is Gavin level = Top level!

So happy to see the Loftleidir DC-6B in your diorama. Also nice to see your old photo in front of the same aircraft. Bring back so much memories. We must be of similar age.

Keep on posting more and more....

Steinar

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic Bealine's Avatar
    Hi Adrian, I've come in late on this but I have to say that's a beautiful example of model building. I'm not a great fan of 1:400 scale aircraft, too small for my eyes. But when you see them added to a centrepiece diorama like this, everything comes alive. I'm reminded of so many various scenes from your books. Do you have any of those BEA buses by the way?
    Bealine

Quote Originally Posted by Bealine View Post
    Hi Adrian, I've come in late on this but I have to say that's a beautiful example of model building. I'm not a great fan of 1:400 scale aircraft, too small for my eyes. But when you see them added to a centrepiece diorama like this, everything comes alive. I'm reminded of so many various scenes from your books. Do you have any of those BEA buses by the way?

Many thanks for your kind words. I consider that 1/400th is the smallest scale you can build model airports in, to achieve a reasonable authenticity. I have seen 1/500th models of varying quality and I wouldn't even attempt this project in anything smaller than 1/400th, hoping that, once completed, everyone will recognise this as Heathrow. Regret you can't get any buses that BEA used in 1/400th. I have some white-metal double-decker buses for this layout but regret they are not even Routemasters, but Atlanteans and have already been painted London Transport red.
    Adrian

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    ... I wouldn't even attempt this project in anything smaller than 1/400th, hoping that, once completed, everyone will recognise this as Heathrow ...
    Absolutely no doubt about that Adrian!!

Gavin

Busy day at Heathrow today

Lovely day at Heathrow today with lots of arrivals and departures. 'Copped' a new BOAC Britannia in my spotting book.

Finished off Terminal 2, painted the sky background and am now fitting the electrics in for the runway lights (you can see the threshold lights are working).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adrian

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    Absolutely stunning! Both diorama and pics!

Congrats Adrian, you did a really good job!

Nice AZ touch too!
    ...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic ProfCaravellius's Avatar
    Wow, looks great!

Adrian, what did you use to build the approach light fixtures?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfCaravellius View Post
    Wow, looks great!

Adrian, what did you use to build the approach light fixtures?
    The approach lights are cut up pieces of styrene plastic rod glued together with the lamps being acrylic jewels from a sewing & handicraft store (used by dressmakers to attach to dresses etc.)
    Adrian