Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Adrian's London Heathrow Airport 1960s-70s

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Busy Day today with the weather bad outside. While the BEA Engineering Base was drying. I got on with Terminal's 1 and 2 and have scratch-built both from photos using balsa wood cladded with plastikard and filler. I hope both are recognisable and tomorrow will be a sanding and painting day and hope to return to the BEA Engineering Base to add doors, the roof and painting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic Brundle's Avatar
    Awesome, you are progressing very nicely.

1st June - time for an update!

All apron, taxiway and runway markings completed. Runway changed from 27L to 28L to comply with period accuracy and runways now concrete slabs and not tarmac. Working on Terminal 2, which is now about 50% complete so time for a break to take some photos.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    Adrian, that is wonderful!

Congrats!

...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Wow, I'm loving this diorama!

Keep going Adrian, you're doing great stuff here!!

I bet it all takes you back to when you were photographed in short pants with the Loftleidir DC-6 in the background. I notice the Loftleidir on your diorama - reminiscing?

I especially like the shot across the threshhold of RW 28L - a pilot's eye view.

Gavin

Edit - BTW, I like the shade of grey you have chosen - looks convincing as concrete.

Fly United DC-8's to Hawaii Supreme Hangar Mechanic dc8mainliner's Avatar
    Nice work Adrian...you work remarkably fast!!

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Incredible Adrian Don't let your wife give you any grief on space, or how much time you are devoting to your project lately. Remember, she is expendable!
    The DC-8 is the best commercial supersonic aircraft ever built!
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Proud to be a honorary Australian citizen.

Chris

Senior Member Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time amesmj's Avatar
    What can I add to what's already been said?, amazing!, we definately have a competion going on between you and Gavin, Well Done!, looking forward to the next installment.

Martin.

P.S. Did you see my pics on the Trident that we have here at Manchester?(Spotters allowed)
    Last edited by amesmj; 06-01-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by DC-8-556 View Post
    Incredible Adrian Don't let your wife give you any grief on space, or how much time you are devoting to your project lately. Remember, she is expendable!
    You hit on a raw nerve there Chris! It was all those factors that brought this project to a halt today and had to pack it all up for a few days!
    Adrian

Member Junior Hangar Mechanic

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Just to put you in the picture as to why I am doing this, here is a photo of me on the viewing terrace at London Airport on 7th June 1961 on my first ever spotting trip with my Dad. Yes, that's a Loftleider DC-6B behind me that I'm very happy to have an Aeroclassics model of, which will be placed on the model exactly where you see it. From that day on, I was VERY impressed with what I saw and begged my Dad to take me back, which we did every year.
    Have to say that is some airport project you are doing.
    This page jumped out at me as I know exactly what I was doing on that date in the picture. Being born in Scotland. And just another bit of useless info my brother is another Adrian.

Terminal 2 takes shape

Time for an update and I have been busy working on Terminal 2, which is now about 90% complete.
    Terminal 2 is Heathrow's oldest terminal and was opened as the Europa Building in 1955. Terminal 2, as well as the adjacent Queens Building, will close in 2008 after the opening of Terminal 5, to allow for the construction of the new Heathrow East terminal. According to BAA, Terminal 2 will be demolished in 2009. Terminal 2 handles mainly European routes.

The model incorporates:

. A row of hand-painted flags along the back.
    . In the top-left corner, there is a children's fenced-off play area complete with see-saw and roundabout.
    . Authentic patio roof gardens with tubs of plants.
    . The white 'discs' are ventilators for the floors below.
    . The announcer's box in the centre at the front.
    ...and 'yes', that's a little 'me' on the top terrace!

Still some work to be done, but here is a photo of the real thing to compare.
    Adrian

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Superb!

Awesome work Adrian
    The DC-8 is the best commercial supersonic aircraft ever built!
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Proud to be a honorary Australian citizen.

Chris

Master Yoda Hangar Trainee backfire's Avatar
    Whew! Too much work for me!!!

Beautiful!!

Backfire
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Moderator / Dark Jedi Master Collector R. Minor's Avatar
    Looks lovely Adrian. Very lovely...
    Ron / Mr. Polo / Posted With A Mac / Honorary Australian Citizen

Fly United DC-8's to Hawaii Supreme Hangar Mechanic dc8mainliner's Avatar
    Adrian - very nice. Did you scratchbuild all the buildings? That's something else, I gotta say. Now you just need to people the tarmac and add lots of GSE and it will look just like the picture you posted next to it. Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Cheers,
    Chris