Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model Review: GJ Virgin Atlantic Concorde

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jann Eejit's Avatar
    A stone's throw from Glasgow Airport, Scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabena747 View Post
    I got 4 Herpa Concordes. They are all great. Only DW that would interest me is the pre-production AC, BUT.... those aircraft still had the small tailcone, unlike the larger one from the production ACs.
    I think you may be mixing up the first two production Concordes (as represented in the Dragon releases) with the two prototypes which had the shorter tail cone and pre-production visor. And come to think of it, that's another two Gemini could have done to help justify that all expensive re-mould. Not to mention, the one from the Airport 80 movie and the 'British' livery negus.

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic Sabena747's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jann Eejit View Post
    I think you may be mixing up the first two production Concordes (as represented in the Dragon releases) with the two prototypes which had the shorter tail cone and pre-production visor. And come to think of it, that's another two Gemini could have done to help justify that all expensive re-mould. Not to mention, the one from the Airport 80 movie and the 'British' livery negus.

Correct, those are the ones i meant.

About the airport 80... perhaps that is a bit sensitive since the plane that stood model for that film was the very same that crashed in Paris. The model already exists in the old AF livery (made by Gemini).

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    The DW prototypes had the extended tailcone or is that what he said!?

The GJ version is quite winkydink and toy-like but the Herpa is fine and petite.
    I would prefer HE to release the redtail, redtail Braniff and the BA/SQ.
    Last edited by QFA388; 07-24-2008 at 06:09 AM.

I'm not sure if he meant he wanted a short tail prototype version or if he thought the long cone production versions were wrong in the house colours releases (which they weren't)...

Either way, I've yet to see the Herpa mould for real, maybe I should investigate. The Dragon mould suffers from excessive tooling on the wing detail, giving a rutted 'rain gutter' effect which is mildly distracting. The sharp end also appears to be attempting to morph into 1:500 scale, compared to the Gemini version.
    Last edited by Jann Eejit; 07-23-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jann Eejit View Post
    I'm not sure if he meant he wanted a short tail prototype version or if he thought the long cone production versions were wrong in the house colours releases (which they weren't)...

Either way, I've yet to see the Herpa mould for real, maybe I should investigate. The Dragon mould suffers from excessive tooling on the wing detail, giving a rutted 'rain gutter' effect which is mildy distracting.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the HE version. I is extremely well made. I agree with the DW wings. Too much scribing.

Here is the HE and big-brother Hogan together.
    Both are beautifully executed. Both the same reg. too.
    G-BOAE
    Last edited by QFA388; 07-24-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic Groover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QFA388 View Post
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the HE version. I is extremely well made. I agree with the DW wings. Too much scribing.

Here is the HE and big-brother Hogan together.
    Both are beautifully executed. Both the same reg. too.
    G-BOAE

Tim, Is that the same rego of the one on which you travelled?

Éminence Grise A Retired Hangar Mechanic TK-421's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that the Herpa mould was retooled before producing the excellent Landor model.
    I saw a Herpa Union Jack Concorde and the rear of the model was very fat from where the fuselage leaves the wing leading to the rear point.
    This was in direct comparison to the sleek Landor model.
    Trent

Quote Originally Posted by Groover View Post
    Tim, Is that the same rego of the one on which you travelled?
    Indeed it is Ray.

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic Abraxas's Avatar
    A question for anyone who owns the Virgin Atlantic Concorde:

Is the card that comes with the model supposed to be numbered? All of my other GJ VS releases include the card with Sir Richard's signature etc and tells me my model is number XXX of how ever many, but my Concorde only tells me it's one of 2000. Just wanted to check this is what everyone else has?

Dan
    Reaching for the Skies...

COLLECTION | TRADE | VIDEOS

Aging Collector Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Excellent report on a real collectors item.

Sure it never flew, but it wasn't for lack of trying on Sir Richard Bransons part. I'm pleased to have one in my collection.

Tnat
    Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1147models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Quote Originally Posted by Sabena747 View Post
    Correct, those are the ones i meant.

About the airport 80... perhaps that is a bit sensitive since the plane that stood model for that film was the very same that crashed in Paris. The model already exists in the old AF livery (made by Gemini).
    Yes but as it wasn't doing a 'cameo' role, so to speak, it could still be released as a reg free model or perhaps it in fact assumed a fictional reg for the movie..?

"Still Red Hot For 25 Years" Junior Hangar Mechanic VS747's Avatar
    This is a great model, Love your pictures.

I have been after this a for a long time now, As part of my many Virgin Atlantic models. I remember flying with VS back in 2003, The virgin concorde was in the inflight shop but you had to ring up to buy it. They never sold it on board

Back then it was £18.50, Now it goes £80+ on ebay, God why they never sold it on board i don't know.

This was so close to being real, But BA basicly told Virgin were to go. Its not surprising after all they hate each other.

If any of you guys are selling a VS Concorde, Please let me know.

Here is my Virgin models, On youtube :

P/S : Sorry for bring this old thread back !

Master Yoda Ultimate Collector backfire's Avatar
    OH Boy!!! Virgins on Youtube!!!

OH Yeah! WELCOME to The Forum!!!

Sal

I saw the Video!!! Shakira Shakira!!!
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic DPS1's Avatar
    I just snapped up the little Virgin yesterday, little pricey but not my most expensive.
    The Virgin bubble wil probably burst next month when its released by phoenix.

Considering the popularity of Virgin why have phoenix never made a virgin model or BA.
    ... ... Aeroclassics Garuda Indonesia F28...

Aging Collector Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    One of the only fantasy models in my collection. I love it.

Tnat
    Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1147models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/