Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model Review: GJ Virgin Atlantic Concorde

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar

Model Review: GJ Virgin Atlantic Concorde

For those of you that love a hot, fast, sexy Virgin...

Supersonic Voyager.....

Model: GJVIRXXX
    Airline: Virgin Atlantic
    Aircraft: Concorde
    Release Date: 3/4/2004
    Units: 2000
    Notes: Metal Box.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. (operating as Virgin Atlantic) is a British airline which is owned by Richard Branson's Virgin Group (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%). It operates long-haul routes between the United Kingdom and North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia from its main bases at London Heathrow and London Gatwick. Virgin has a smaller base at Manchester Airport. The company holds a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Type A Operating Licence, which permits it to carry passengers, cargo, and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats. Virgin Atlantic carried around 4.6 million passengers and made an annual profit of £31.4 million in 2006.
    Virgin operates the 747-400 and A340-600.

The Pros
    The striking livery of Virgin Atlantic with silver pearlescent paint adorning the sexy concorde make this model truly irresistible and a must have for any collection, although the ability to find one at a reasonable price is something different.
    I honestly can say that I am not a fan of fantasy models but this one is by far the best fantasy around.
    Although there is no 1:1 version to compare this model to, Gemini have depicted the Virgin titles and logo accurately, and the 'Virgin Atlantic' titles are a 'billboard' type size at the forward front of the aircraft.

The Font of the "Mines faster than Yours" and "Supersonic Voyager" slogans and "CONCORDE" titles is the correct Virgin font and the tail logo is the correct boldness and size to tail size ratio.
    The dark blue colour around the tail and rear fuselage encasing the violent red is the perfect colour blue as seen on Virgin aircraft, not too dark but not too light either.

I especially like the way Gemini decided to include the Virgin flag carrier maiden and paint the engines in the bright red as featured on the tail.
    Some detail such as printed vents, basic doors and landing lights and other minor details are on display.

The Cons
    One thing that bothers me about this model is the huge seem running all the way down the side of the fuselage and wing. It sticks out like dogs balls and wrecks the model's overall appearance because you cannot help but constantly stare at it everytime you gaze upon the otherwise beautiful complexion.

The red colour on the tail and engines is far to bright and should be a few shades darker.
    The windows and to some extent cockpit are not that noticeable because the dark grey colour of the windows blends in with the silver pearlescent paintwork, thus giving the illusion of a fantasy freighter Concorde rather than a PAX version.

The model has some detail but overall lacks the detail found on the far superior Dragon Wings/ Jet-X Concorde mould.
    Features such as the ribbed wings, detailed intakes of the engines and landing gear doors that are actually part of the mould and not painted on are non existent on this model as they are on the DW/JX mould.
    The landing gear is too chunky and is reminiscent of a 747 not the slender legs of Miss Concorde.

The shape of the nose is not way off but not at all accurate either and the wings are quite rounded and slowly curve around unlike the DW version which has very sharp cuts and curves in the wings, much more realistic on DW's part.

One final gripe, the tail is not inline with the paintwork on the fuselage and therefore gives the final product and imbalanced look.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
    1: Worst
    2: Bad
    3: Poor
    4: Could be better
    5: Satisfactory
    6: Average
    7: Good
    8: Great
    9: HOT!
    10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 6.5
    Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 6.5
    Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 7.5
    Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.5
    Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.5
    Verdict: 8.0/10

Final Verdict
    I gave this model a higher value rating beacuse as many who are searching for this model would know, it has become a very rare collectors piece and I only know of one on sale right now on ebay in the virginfans section.
    I feel that this model is a fantastic insight into what may have occured in the aviation world and too bad that Lady Concorde could not stay around a bit longer, because she would have looked mighty fine in this colour scheme.

I would say that the main thing that takes points off this model is that bloody ugly seem, but if you can forget about this negative and do ever come across this hard to get model, snap it up and let it grace your collection.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Adam

Daft glider pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic GliderPilot's Avatar
    Personally speaking, I'm glad the real aircraft never saw this livery.
    It's not flying, but falling with style!

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic soobhash's Avatar

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by GliderPilot View Post
    I think that too! This livery is Fugly on that airframe... I hate fantasy models!
    BA for long HAUL

And why is that?
    It would probably never happen due to the fact that the paint would have been too much weight, thus may effect Concorde's performance.
    Cheers,
    Adam

Daft glider pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic GliderPilot's Avatar
    It looks too brash for my taste on this classic airframe. You are right about the paint scheme though. It has to be white for technical reasons.
    It's not flying, but falling with style!

Master Yoda Hangar Trainee backfire's Avatar
    The Cons
    One thing that bothers me about this model is the huge seem running all the way down the side of the fuselage and wing. It sticks out like dogs balls and wrecks the model's overall appearance because you cannot help but constantly stare at it everytime you gaze upon the otherwise beautiful complexion.

Yuck! I don't like "Dogs Balls" on my airplane models so I definitely won't be getting this one!!!

Backfire
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jann Eejit's Avatar
    A stone's throw from Glasgow Airport, Scotland.
    I would have liked a white livery Virgin fantasy to be honest, as that is what it would have flown in had Branson's audacious plan come to fruition... That said, I have this one and it does what it was intended to do, it made for a nice little curio for inflight sales and became one of those 1:400 cult pieces.

As with the other Virgin releases in this livery, I think they got the base colour a little wrong. I know we've already had debates about the true colour and how difficult it is to replicate metallic or pearlescent tones, but I can't help thinking Gemini could have done a little more work on these. When they released the Birthday Girl 744 and then the new livery pair last year, I felt they'd gone from one extreme to the other, with the pale washed out tones seen on the new 744 and A346. But to be fair, even if you witnessed the same Virgin 1:1 aircraft on a daily basis, it's probably going to look different under every varied lighting condition.

…minence Grise A Retired Hangar Mechanic TK-421's Avatar
    I like mine. My one and only fantasy apart from Charlize Theron.
    Trent

…minence Grise A Retired Hangar Mechanic TK-421's Avatar
    One other thing.
    If you think Dragon's Concorde is good, go get yourself a Herpa 1:400 Concorde.
    IMO, the best of the bunch.
    Trent

Ca$h RuLe$ eVeRyThInG aRoUnD mE Supreme Hangar Mechanic aviatorisu's Avatar
    This is one of my most prized models based on availability out there. I like the overall look and presentation of it as well in its tin box with collectors' card. Glad I sold my SMAC Frontier 732 before the bubble burst! I MAY be a little GJ bias, I'll admit that, but consider how long ago this model was made before being so harsh on its quality.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorisu View Post
    This is one of my most prized models based on availability out there. I like the overall look and presentation of it as well in its tin box with collectors' card. Glad I sold my SMAC Frontier 732 before the bubble burst! I MAY be a little GJ bias, I'll admit that, but consider how long ago this model was made before being so harsh on its quality.

Z
    What are you talking about?
    It was released in 2004, so the date excuse doesn't quite cut it.
    Perhaps if it was the first Concorde produced in 1999, then yes a tad harsh but 2004.....
    Cheers,
    Adam

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jann Eejit's Avatar
    A stone's throw from Glasgow Airport, Scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviatorisu View Post

Z
    I had to think about that one myself. It's the same mould as the current Gemini Concorde is it not ?

Watcher of the Skies A Retired Hangar Mechanic egpx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jann Eejit View Post
    I had to think about that one myself. It's the same mould as the current Gemini Concorde is it not ?
    The mould itself first appeared in 2003 so it is a bit middle aged by now. I don't have a DW Concorde (though I keep meaning to try and source G-AXDN) but I've got a Herpa. I agree that the mould is a bit more refined than the GJ but the model is not as well printed IMHO. No matter who makes them they all have that seam and with the light colours they are all painted in it is hard to disguise it. Herpa's fin seam is also more pronounced than the GJ.

Great review Adam
    Try a little VC10derness

Ca$h RuLe$ eVeRyThInG aRoUnD mE Supreme Hangar Mechanic aviatorisu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jann Eejit View Post
    Yes it is, but it never would have paid for itself to develop a new Concorde mould for so few release options. Either way, I still love having this model.

Z

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic Sabena747's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
    One other thing.
    If you think Dragon's Concorde is good, go get yourself a Herpa 1:400 Concorde.
    IMO, the best of the bunch.
    Trent
    I got 4 Herpa Concordes. They are all great. Only DW that would interest me is the pre-production AC, BUT.... those aircraft still had the small tailcone, unlike the larger one from the production ACs.

Herpa only has two flaws: at 1:400 I think they should have done the 'moustaches' and the visibility of the 'drooped' nose should have been better too.. Otherwise I fully agree this is the best mould around.