Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Review: GJ Cubana IL-62M

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar

Model Review: GJ Cubana IL-62M

Feeling much better, I decided to post one review before tomorrow's two.
    So grab your $1000 cigar and spicy mojito and pull up a seat.
    This review is in particular, dedicated to South American and Russian aircraft fans.
    I hope my mate Fidel is reading...

Enjoy!

Model: GJCUB688
    Airline: Cubana de Aviación
    Aircraft: IL-62M
    Release Date: 7/15/2006
    Units: 1500
    Notes: Gemini Jets' first IL-62M

Cubana de Aviación was founded on October 8, 1929, and has its corporate headquarters in Havana, Cuba. Its main base is at José Martí International Airport.
    Cubana is wholly owned by the Cuban Government but during the days of PAN AM 1932, the airline was a subsidiary of the great airline.
    Cubana has and is currently operating a diverse fleet of aircraft. IL-96s are used on transatlantic services to moscow on one of the longest routes in the world. The IL-62, TU-204 and A320s are used to link up Havana with other South American cities and the Bahamas. AN 24s and YAK 42s are used on domestic and island link routes.

The Pros
    My love for Russian models in 1:400 scale, the simple yet elegant livery of Cubana and even my interests in Cuba, made me pre-order this model the day it was announced.
    Being the first IL-62 model from Gemini Jets and one more Russian aircraft in 1:400, I had to have it!
    The VC-10ski of Eastern Europe is great and well done.
    The wings look fairly accurate and feature details such as flaps and spoilers which are in the correct position on the wings but don't stick out like dogs balls either but rather blend into the final product and make it more realistic.
    The grilles over the landing lights and indentations in the wings proves that this model was to be a leader in quality and detail.
    I use the word 'quality' lightly due to some issues I will explain latter.
    Im not a huge expert or nit picker on landing gear but the gears on this model seem fairly good excluding the chunky nose gear.
    The T tail was executed well and I must say that for a Gemini model, the printing quality and detail can be compared to that of an AeroClassics model!
    Correct colours and details and features even down to the tiny windows on the cabin doors, vents running along the fuselage, 'cut here in emergency' titles and small titles revealing IL-62M on the engines have been done well and accurately.
    The cabin doors and windows are correct and in the right places where they would normally be and no crooked windows or cargo doors.

The Cons
    What angers me a tad is that for such a fine model which I was really looking forward to recieving, it arrived to me in a terrible state!
    The 'Cubana' logo on the forward front fuselage section on both sides has been smeared something shocking.
    Someone had hobbyist glue on their fingers and obviously grabbed the forward part of the model, smearing the glue in the process.
    I have herd reports from other collectors that they too had issues with smeared logos on their Cubana IL62s.
    This isn't good on both the manufacturer and seller as they both obviously don't have a quality control system in place, so I got a $27 credit which I never used for other reasons but it still doesn't fix the fact that now I have a messed up model worth nothing.
    Apparently, some people say the major downfall are the engines being inaccurate. I feel that although a tad big and the paintwork and cutting of plastic work dodgy, they are not that bad.
    The seem is probably the most annoying part of the mould apart from the shonky logo quality which is the model's printing, not mould.
    It sticks out and is very noticeable probably due to the fact that the wing seem doesn't match the body or viceversa and that glue seeps from beneath the wing attachment.
    Final gripe is that if you as a model company or even quite possibly a retailer are going to touch up a model with paint, then make sure the paints match and are done properly so the customer cannot tell.
    Also, dripping white paint on the grey wings is a bid noticeable, don't you think?

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
    1: Worst
    2: Bad
    3: Poor
    4: Could be better
    5: Satisfactory
    6: Average
    7: Good
    8: Great
    9: HOT!
    10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 7
    Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 8.5
    Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 8.5
    Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 5.0
    Value (Price, Money well spent): 5.5
    Verdict: 6.5/10

Final Verdict
    After much contemplation on what scores this model should recieve I didn't beat around the bush, they may seem harsh to some or too fair for others but the model has fantastic printing, too bad about quality and that bloody seem!
    It is a great shame as this model deserves much more credit but how can it recieve good reviews when the craftsmanship is bodgy?
    With mixed reviews floating around, the fact that this model is still readily available isn't a suprise but rather an insult not beacuse I and many other paid under 30 bucks for it, but rather that there were many people wanting it or had it as number one on their holy grail list only to recieve it and go what the........ I know I did!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Adam

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic Phantom's Avatar
    Great review.

You may know me as a stickler for engine detail, so the engines on this one stand alone are enough to withdraw at least 2 points from the mould rating in my book. It's not just that they are slightly too large and crude in appearance. The fact that this huge flash is running around the nacelle is killing this for me. Flashes take away lots of a model's appeal and degrade them down to cheap toys.

I see the GJ Il-62M isn't the only one affected. Other prominent examples are the GJ's C-17 and others. I'd wish that manufacturers would not only deflash their diecast blanks but would also apply this treatment to their plastic parts like engine cowlings - or to go with better engineered moulds from the start...
    Alex

Relief Pilot Senior Hangar Mechanic Renyf1's Avatar
    thank u for the review(s)

Watcher of the Skies A Retired Hangar Mechanic egpx's Avatar
    Great review Adam. Must admit that the smeared Cubana titles are a bit of a shocker - they would have definitely induced a 'return to sender' had that model arrived at my house.

As for the big engines, GJ oversized the VC10 engines as well. They do give a bit of a cartoon-like appearance to the model but wouldn't stop me from getting one. At least the VC10's engines don't have that seam.
    Try a little VC10derness

Training Captain Master Collector PeeWee's Avatar
    yes, I agree, you could have returned it. From the retailer's standpoint this model would have been returnable to GJ as well. Is this one now sold out? If not then it is not to late to return it.

I wonder if you might write a review of this past years's 400SH model of the year? Tell us why this was such a great model or why many were so crazy to vote for it?

Peewee
    Peewee Airliners-Where Your Very Smallest Dreams Come True http://pwe.hk

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
    yes, I agree, you could have returned it. From the retailer's standpoint this model would have been returnable to GJ as well. Is this one now sold out? If not then it is not to late to return it.

I wonder if you might write a review of this past years's 400SH model of the year? Tell us why this was such a great model or why many were so crazy to vote for it?

Peewee
    I didn't return it because my seller, airplanesuperstore.com told me to forget about it and he will give me a $27 refund on next purchase.

Wasn't last years 400SH a BOAC VC-10? Correct me if I am wrong.
    If it is, I cannot review it because I don't have it in my collection.
    Cheers,
    Adam

L-1011-Heavy
    The Overall Verdict Of 6.5 Is What I Would Give This Model Too, But I Would Arrive At That Conclusion A Bit Differently.
    Glad To Have An IL-62 Mould, But The Manufacturing Is Of 1997 Era.(AKA Similar To Their 707 Quality) It Would Be Nice If Current Technology Was Applied To This Mould.
    I Will Comment On The Engines Too. As Well As Being Too Large, They Also Span Too Wide & The Assembly Has An Almost Secondary Wing Appearance. Last The Engines Should Have A Slight Pitch Along The Fuselage Axis, Not Be Parrallel.

Alex, What Do You Mean By Flash?

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L-1011-Heavy View Post

Alex, What Do You Mean By Flash?
    Flash, burr, fin, grout? What do you guys call this excess material that forms this noticeable line around the engines? In German it's called a "Grat" or in this case "Gussgrat". It's there on every casting but much less prominent on well crafted moulds and usually the flash is sanded off on a quality product.
    Alex

L-1011-Heavy
    Ah, Excess Material, As In The Seam? Simply A Mould Seam Or Bleed.
    Terms For Other Defects In Mould Making Would Be Spatter (Quite Prominent On Chrome Finishes In This Scale) Which Is Like Random Sized & Random Shaped Balls Of Excess Molten.
    Pitting. Holes In The Mould, Again Random In Size & Shape.
    A Burr Is A Sharp Edge From Punching & Forming Sheet Metal.

Grout Is A Mortar Filler Used For Floor, Kitchen & Batch Tiles.
    I Never Heard The Term Fin Used In These Industries.

Fly United DC-8's to Hawaii Supreme Hangar Mechanic dc8mainliner's Avatar
    Thanks - good review and I agree about the engine detailing and sizing. For now, until someone comes up with a better mould, I will stick with my sole IL-62M being the GJ Aeroflot model.
    Chris

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic SkyEurope's Avatar
    Gemini's Il-62 mould is horrible. This mould is the prefect example for Gemini's total carelessness. If it wasn't an Il-62 I'd never touch a single piece of this. Of course because it's an Ilyushin I'll getting each and every one.

1:400 scale collector Supreme Hangar Mechanic UK_Dispatcher's Avatar
    I noticed my model has the insert for a tail wheel but no tail wheel was included.

Airbus A330-200/-300/-200F Pilot! Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time ERAU Pilot's Avatar
    I'm looking for that model if anyone has one extra laying around

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic ShipArch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Dispatcher View Post
    I noticed my model has the insert for a tail wheel but no tail wheel was included.
    Look for it in the lower left hand side of the blue plastic case, it's taped into a hole. I thought mine was missing this piece too.

Quote Originally Posted by Piloti CM View Post
    I'm looking for that model if anyone has one extra laying around
    Check Adamjets.com, this is were I got mine not long ago. They always have almost everything you can't find anywhere else.

1:400 scale collector Supreme Hangar Mechanic UK_Dispatcher's Avatar
    [QUOTE=ShipArch;364966]Look for it in the lower left hand side of the blue plastic case, it's taped into a hole. I thought mine was missing this piece too.[QUOTE]

Found it.... thanks! Pity it doesn't fit though.