Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Review: SMAC Air Nauru 737-200

400scalehangar model reviewer Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar

Model Review: SMAC Air Nauru 737-200

While sitting at home on the lounge sick as a dog watching Jerry Springer, I decided, with a box of kleenex under my arm and a warm mug of earl grey tea with lemon, to head off to my study to write, you guessed it! another review.
    I was bored and read all the positive feedback so I thought what the heck, I write up another.
    This being the first review posted in the new review section of this site, I would like to again thank Todd and Faheem and everyone else for letting me have this opportunity to share my thoughts with you.

Here we go....

Model: 7CRON002
    Airline: Air Nauru
    Aircraft:Boeing 737-2L9
    Release Date: 11/29/2001
    Units: 744
    Notes: 737 Club model

Air Nauru was first established on 14th February, 1970 as an experimental airline providing a link between Brisbane, Australia and Nauru.
    The airline operated many aircraft all at different times during its years of operations including F-28s, 727-100 and five 737-200s.
    During the years, Air Nauru suffered heavy losses due to hardly any passenger traffic and the airline became notorious for cancelling flights and using aircraft for searches to try and find lost fishermen off Nauru's coast while reletives were served alcohol onboard.

The Airline changed it's equipment to a sole 737-400 but was repossessed by a Melbourne company due to the government in Nauru not paying their loan entitlements to the import-export bank of USA, leaving the carrier with no aircraft.

On 14 October 2006, the company was re-branded as our airline and uses a sole 737-300 for services to Kiribati, Brisbane and Honiara.

The Pros
    The elegant livery of Air Nauru, the SMAC mould, the detail and an unusual airline from a beautiful part of the world are the features that make this model a fantastic 1:400 collectible suitable for any collection.
    The printing, fonts and colours are all correct, well aligned and in their correct positions.
    The blue on the tail is a dark ocean blue, almost black colour while the two yellow stripes encasing the white star are a perfect sun gold colour. All the colours combine to give a fantastic representation of the real deal.
    The wing detail is amazing for such a small model. features such as spoilers, flaps and even the lights are a great addition on such a small piece of metal.
    Personally, I love the tiny 'BOEING 737' and the distinctive soaring eagle of Pratt & Whitney both printed on the engines.
    These features highlight the effort and detail which went into the SMAC collections.
    The model even features a tiny black nose cone, very 737!

The Cons
    As with all SMAC and now AeroClassics 737-200s, the landing gears are way to fat.
    The nose gear in particular is too short and the gear doors are a tad too big thus giving the illusion of the tires touching the doors.
    The short nose wheel might have something to do with controlling the model's centre of gravity. Some SMAC/AC 732s have issues with constantly falling on their butts but luckily this one doesn't due in part to the short gear.
    The fuselage also needs a trip to Jenny Craig and should be slimmer.
    There is something about the cockpit that just doesn't cut it with me. I feel that the angle about where the cockpit windows start and head down towards the top of the nose, should be much steeper as the windows are much more relaxed and slopped back.
    But for such a small model, the above faults are not that noticeable and probably hard to avoid.
    One final gripe. I simply don't understand why you can't glue the wings into the body but rather have a large ugly seem on display. This is the only feature which stomps on the great look of the model.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
    1: Worst
    2: Bad
    3: Poor
    4: Could be better
    5: Satisfactory
    6: Average
    7: Good
    8: Great
    9: HOT!
    10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 7
    Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 7.5
    Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9
    Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.5
    Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.5
    Verdict: 8.5/10

Final Verdict
    In all the American, United, Canadian, even British Airways models available, it is good to break away from these mainstream models and go for something a bit more unusual almost Bohemian in style compared to the norm. This model is fabulous and it flaunts it.
    Even with it's imperfections this model screams 'look at me' and always vectors the eyes in through the mass of others, to it's small yet svelte self.
    This model has not been given enough credit and is a prime collectible.
    I would recommend that if you ever come across this model in your collecting career, snatch it for yourself before someone else does!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Adam

ba777-236
    Get well soon Adam!

Nother great review

Hangar Crew - Moderator A Retired Hangar Mechanic Bravo-Alpha-Golf's Avatar
    Interesting review. If you really want to feel better, stop watching Jerry Springer....geez, I can't believe you have him down under as well. His show highlights and showcases trailer-park trash. I hope he's not worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo-Alpha-Gulf View Post
    Interesting review. If you really want to feel better, stop watching Jerry Springer....geez, I can't believe you have him down under as well. His show highlights and showcases trailer-park trash. I hope he's not worldwide.
    When you are bored and sick, the best thing to do is watch a couple of red-neck hillbillies beat each other up...

Cheers,
    Adam

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic ykiki's Avatar
    One of the first (and finest) models in my Polynesian-themed collection.
    Steve E

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Excellent review. Much appreciated.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

21 Left Senior Hangar Mechanic 21 left's Avatar
    To feel better: take two SMAC Air Narau and call me in the morning.......

Banned A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    Couple Things.
    This Is A Gemini Mould.
    Fuselage Is The Right Thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by L-1011-Heavy View Post
    Couple Things.
    This Is A Gemini Mould.
    Fuselage Is The Right Thickness.
    Couple of things:
    No, it is the SMAC mould, and compared it myself to my EG&G 737-200, both quite different.
    Fuselage is not correct.
    Cheers,
    Adam

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic kiwiball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird91 View Post
    Couple of things:
    No, it is the SMAC mould, and compared it myself to my EG&G 737-200, both quite different.
    Fuselage is not correct.
    Adam, Rick is right about the mould's origin. This, along with the Copa and Air Bahamas 737's were released on the Gemini's mould by the 373 Club - the predecessor to SMAC and before the SMAC/AC 737 mould was developed. It is the reason all three suffer form the "Cockpit Too High" syndrome that a lot of GJ releases of that time had (much to my irritation for both the Air Nauru and Air Bahama releases)

Santos Dumont 1st to fly Pro Collector Otavio Santos's Avatar
    Interesting review. Like their onboard service. eh eh eh

I got this model in an open store for only CN7.00.

Thanks Adam.
    Ummm....And how about an Austral BAC 1-11 and a PLUNA 707 delivery colors?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiball View Post
    Adam, Rick is right about the mould's origin. This, along with the Copa and Air Bahamas 737's were released on the Gemini's mould by the 373 Club - the predecessor to SMAC and before the SMAC/AC 737 mould was developed. It is the reason all three suffer form the "Cockpit Too High" syndrome that a lot of GJ releases of that time had (much to my irritation for both the Air Nauru and Air Bahama releases)
    Ooops my first stuff up.
    I'm going with what you guys said only because I couldn't find any information otherwise......

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Adam

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Planecrazy's Avatar
    A very detailed, well done review. I had overlooked this model when it first came out. Your Review got me interested and I bought two of them from Jet Collecter.com, who had them on sale for only $19.95 a piece.
    Planecrazy

Get that cow out of the way, I'm coming down!

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic
    Even with all the obvious defaults, the SMAC B737-200 remains one of my favorites! They did a great series. Too bad SMAC is no longer around...

Jan

Glass Madhouse Resident Hangar Mechanic with too Much Free Time QFA777's Avatar
    A lovely little model that I also picked up at JetCollector.com recently. I remember the repossessed 737 sitting on the Qantas ramp in Melbourne for quite a while in 2005
    Cheers,
    Ian

Latest Arrival's : AeroClassics Alitalia Caravelle : AeroClassics Jetstar A320 : Aeroclassics Air New Zealand/QANTAS L-188 ELECTRA