Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Review: DW Lufthansa A330-300

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic Speedbird91's Avatar

Model Review: DW Lufthansa A330-300

With the memories of me visiting this site years ago to read the reviews of a 1:400 model and now with all the interest in a review section, every Friday (Sydney Time), I will be adding one or two reviews to inform and entertain, as many of you like to read the reviews, well here is some reading material.
    Thus bringing us to the first cab off the rank.

Model: 55516
    Airline: Lufthansa Airlines
    Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
    Release Date: 9/6/2003
    Units: Limited Production
    Notes: Corporate Model Only.

This model is from Dragon Wings pre 2005 collection which were the days when people couldn't wait for the next announcement of 1:400 DW models.
    These days it is like "who basically cares when they are announced!".

Anyways, this model is a fine rendition of the real thing. The A330 mould used by Dragon is the 2nd version which was arguably the finest A330 mould Dragon ever produced.

The sequence goes like this:
    1st DW A330 mould: Bad cockpit, wonky landing gear, low details, crapy wings.
    2nd DW A330 mould: The best A330 mould made by DW, Good cockpit, improved landing gear, more detail in wings and paint work, correct printing.
    3rd DW A330 mould: Not as bad as the first mould but the worst in the 1:400 scale when compared to GJ/PH mould. Terrible cockpit windows and nose don't know why they changed it when it was good to start off with, cut backs in choice of airline liveries.

The Pros
    DW got the colours right with this model and the wings are painted all white like on all other real Lufthansa aircraft.
    The printing is superb and the font and colour of 'Lufthansa' titles and the tail logo are all correct, in line, and accurate.
    One of the benefits of having plastic wings is the fact that DW are able to show more detail on the wings including spoilers and inboard flaps, a feature which GJ cannot apply on their A330s/A340s, don't understand why? Especially when all their other moulds have it.
    The grey colour on the belly and engines are correct and match up even with my other LHs in the collection.

The Cons
    Yes, with every model there are faults and this model isn't an exception.
    Even though the nose is great on this particular model, the cockpit windows are the downfall, as the centre front two windows are a tad smaller than the side windows, not too bad though but when looked at closely, noticeable.
    The interior of the engine blades is a bright silver and not really realistic when compared these days to the black blades (far more realistic)
    The plastic gear drives me insane especially the nose gear! It is too short and the gear doors are longer than what they should be.
    I don't understand how you can get plastic gears wrong, they are not that realistic either. If they were all metal then fair enough as then it would be harder to work with, but plastic!
    But again not something that would put me off buying this model anyhow.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
    1: Worst
    2: Bad
    3: Poor
    4: Could be better
    5: Satisfactory
    6: Average
    7: Good
    8: Great
    9: HOT!
    10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 7
    Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 8
    Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 7.5
    Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 8
    Value (Price, Money well spent):8
    Verdict: 8/10

Final Verdict
    This is a fine model which correctly represents the Airline's Logo and the Aircraft.
    The model is now quite rare and it is a corporate model making it a valuable piece in any collection.
    If you ever come across this model I would suggest you purchase it as it is a treasure.
    For people that don't like plastic, don't buy it as it is about 60% plastic but you are missing out on a fine model.
    For me the plastic issue isn't that annoying but if a GJ/PH version comes out it will join this model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Adam

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic Groover's Avatar
    Nice review, thanks for taking the time. I read it with interest.

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    Thanks for the review!

Aren't the engines wrong though?
    ...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic crashlander's Avatar
    Thanks for the review!

However i would give it less points mainly because of what Sporty said, engines are wrong!
    Also it doesnt have a regstration or a name...

I've been waiting for an LH 333 for a long time from GJ... I hope it comes soon...

Yes the engines are wrong and it doesn't have a registration because I think this model was released when LH was planning to add the A333 to their fleet thus not having a reg. and wrong engines (PW)
    Take the A380 and 787 models.

It would be silly to deduct marks simply because it doesn't have a registration!
    I marked the model not the reg number.
    Cheers,
    Adam

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    According to the Wings900 database, this model is a LH exclusive: it was released in 2003 while the real thing was delivered in 2004. So both reg# and engines cannot be killer deals. In fact this is a replica of what was supposed to be, not what is! Maybe it is a hybrid between a real plane and a fantasy one!

IMHO, of course!

...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

L-1011-Heavy
    Good Review & You've Hit The Nail On The Head For The Most Part, Except I Will Disagree With You On The Cockpit.
    The Center Windows Are SUPPOSED To Be Smaller In The Center & The Side Panels Both Taller & Lower.
    IMO DW Cockpit Windows From This Era Is The Closest There Ever Was In Die Cast Any Scale To The Real Deal. (Except Herpa Premuim)
    I Seriosly Doubt Any Manufacturer Will Make A More Accurate Cockpit.
    I'll Take This Opportunity To Also Point Out DW Is The ONLY Manufacturer Of ANY Airbus Widebody To Feature The Distinct Indentations In The Fuselage At The Side Cockpit Windows. Even The Aeroclassics A300 Doesn't Have It.
    Note I've Shaded The Second Pic To Highlight What I Call The "Cheeks"
    I Guess Temples Would Have Been More Appropriate, But Cheeks Sounded Better For Some Reason.
    To Me The Cockpit, Nose & These Features Many Do Not Notice Are The "Face" Of The Aircraft. I Can Live With Many Flaws Including Wrong Aft Section (DW A-300 B-4), Wrong Engines/Pylons Or Bad Gear As Long As The "Face" Is Done Right. It's What Makes The Aircraft.
    Subject: A-300.
    The Reasons Given Was Why I Was One Of Those Collectors That Couldn't Wait For The Next DW Release.
    These Days, I Only Hope...
    Attached Images Attached Images

L-1011-Heavy
    Forgot To Mention. Does Anyone Have One Of These For Sale Or Trade?

Lets Go Devils!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic sammyk's Avatar
    Man, I've been looking for this model or hoping for someone else to release it. Perhaps one day!

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic cmnguyen's Avatar
    Thank you very much for taking time to write such a detailed review.

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Nice !.

Very informative. Great info.

I mean that Adam.This is a great thread to read I'll look forward to more every Friday!

p.s. - Don't do a review on the BAX DC-8 ok? I already know that review
    The DC-8 is the best commercial supersonic aircraft ever built!
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Proud to be a honorary Australian citizen.

Chris

Senior Member Supreme Hangar Mechanic DTWMetroSkies's Avatar
    I've been waiting for an LH 333 for a long time from GJ... I hope it comes soon...
    I'm on the same boat. Along with a Northwest 333.

Good review, btw.
    Tim
    Long Live the RedTail
    82 years of flight...

See my Videos on JetVideos, or on FlightLevel350

Quote Originally Posted by DC-8-556 View Post
    Nice !.

Very informative. Great info.

I mean that Adam.This is a great thread to read I'll look forward to more every Friday!

p.s. - Don't do a review on the BAX DC-8 ok? I already know that review
    I hope you didn't take it personally but I was hoping for United saul bass or something different
    Cheers,
    Adam

Junior Member Junior Hangar Mechanic
    which dw A330 airline models fall under the second generation mould. I have an Air Canada A330 and a Qantas A330 and they all have differnt noses and cockpits. So which ones are the second generation models?

Well the Air Canada is a 1st generation and the Qantas is a 3rd generation.
    I don't have the Air Canada release but I have the Qantas and the downfall is the nose.
    Cheers,
    Adam