Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151858 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic psalover's Avatar
    Alright Gavin Your making some of us extreeeemy envious.

Your modeling skills are some of the best I have ever seen. I do not know how you do it. How long does it take you to make something? Take the newest addition, How long? I know you say you use Basal wood. Do you measure it in highth, or are they cut from blocks?

Simply amazing. Have you sent your pictures into any modeling magazines?It would definitely get in them.
    1985 was a good year for aviation.

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic davesoda's Avatar
    Gavin I agree I grew up at Essendon Airport, my grandmother would take me there everyday when I was a kid and let me spend hours there just watching....

On a side note my Dad lived in Strathmore (just opposite) and actually managed to stow away on a TAA Electra and nearly got to Sydney, until a hostie checked the toilets and got him kicked off!!

Here is a pic of essendon as it is today complete with DC-3s on the tarmac.
    Cheers,

Dave

See the OVER 600 (1:400) models in my collection at:

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...tion-3626.html

Please AK make me a fleet of IPEC aircraft! DC-3, Argosy and DC-9s! (Jet-X beat you on the DC-9s AK!)

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalover
    How long does it take you to make something? Take the newest addition, How long?
    Well, the Qantas Air Cargo hangar I put together in an afternoon (it was a basic shape). The catering and ground services building took a lot longer because it was more complex and required more time in research - I did that one over a couple of weekends.

I know you say you use balsa wood. Do you measure it in highth, or are they cut from blocks?
    I don't actually measure in height - I just use the nearest standard block size. If it needs to be a little higher I just "shim" it up with a piece of thinner balsa strip. Pretty easy really. But I wouldn't claim 100% accuracy either - I'm happy if it "looks right".

The exterior is made of Evergreen scribed plastic sheet (measure, score, snap and then glue to the balsa).

Gavin

As Tnat has pointed out in an earlier post, Air NZ Electras flew through Perth in 1970 on the Sydney-Jo'burg route.

I therefore ordered an AeroClassics Electra in the AirNZ/Qantas scheme (even though I am not over-awed by the AC mould).

It arrived yesterday and is very nicely printed.

In this scene I have put the open observation deck back in place for a 1970 AirNZ Electra visit (the Ansett scheme had actually changed by 1970, but what the hell, it's one of the few other Aussie prop jobs available).

Gavin

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Gavin,

I never cease to be amazed by what you're doing with your outstanding model airport. It really is quite wonderful!!!!

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

I will have to agree with transnat. I am always amazed.

I vote this to be the Airport Diorama of the year for 2006

Thanks for your encouragement guys. Makes all the hours of tedious model making worth while!

Yesterday I received TWO Lockheed airliners in the post.

My Air NZ L-188 and a CX L-1011. Two different eras; two of my favorite airliners!

Wind the clock forward 10 years from the photo above and it is 1980. Cathay briefly operates Tristars to Perth before commencing 747 operations. Replace the open observation deck with the built-up terminal, add Qantas buildings and ground equipment to the scene and 1980 is brought back to life ... (not sure if Qantas was still operating the 707 by then though).

Gavin

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic
    The more I look at your diorama, the more in awe of it, and your model building capbilities, I am.

Henry

I could look at these pictures all day long. They are top notch.

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic SNBA's Avatar
    I think this is one of the best threads in the model airports section, if not the best. I always look forward to seeing new shots added!
    Davy

Wow, you guys are WAY too generous!

I think possibly the real star is the old Perth Airport itself - a genuine old fashioned 1960s-style people-friendly little airport with "atmosphere". What it lacked in mega-movements it made up for in it's quaint charm.

Don't we all sometimes wish we could go back to those simpler, less-stressful times?

If I'm not boring you with these shots, here's one more from the other end. By the early eighties F-28s had replaced F-27s operating local intra-state routes but as I can't buy any 1/400 F-28s, the Friendships will soldier on (Quebecair standing in for Ansett/MMA).

Gavin

L-1011-Heavy
    Cripes! The Get-Up Is Getting Better All The Time!

Yes, Im sure we all wish we could go back to simpler times, I know I do.

Perth is the star, but you are what brings that star to life. Don't be so modest. your modeling skills are top notch, and you, and your skills are what made this diorama come alive. exellent work.

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Yes, Im sure we all wish we could go back to simpler times, I know I do.

Perth is the star, but you are what brings that star to life. Don't be so modest. your modeling skills are top notch, and you, and your skills are what made this diorama come alive. exellent work.
    Very well said. I agree 100%

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

You're all too kind!

Here are a couple of planes I would really love for my diorama.

MMA (by then a division of Ansett Transport Industries) was based at Perth Airport and flew DC-3s then F-27s and finally F-28s all over the State of Western Australia.

The US Air Force was a regular visitor (especially during the Apollo program in the 1970s) and we saw many C-141As and Bs over the years.

There are actually THREE aircraft in this photo. Can you spot the four-engined bomber in this picture?

Gavin