Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 206063646566676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1074

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Ribbon View Post
    Hello Gavin.

I am rereading this thread (I read it as a guest last year), and have came up with some questions. Please forgive me as I have a horrible memory.

What are the dimensions of your Perth?
    Hi Yellow Ribbon,

Sorry for the delay in replying. My diorama is now all packed away in storage so I can't quickly measure it but, from memory, the main section was a standard piece of 600mm x 1200mm melamine covered particle board from my local hardware store.

How did you attach the extention to the main area?
    The two semi-circular ends are not physically attached to the main board, just resting on the same base frame (to keep them all the same level) and pushed up against the main section. I haven't found the need to attach them (although I originally intended to create some way of latching them on the underside - you've just reminded me I never got around to it, LOL!)

What is a "lift off module?"
    LOL. That's just my own terminology to describe an alternate piece of the airport terminal building I can substitute for another to represent different periods in the life of the building. I can "lift off" one "module" of the building (e.g. the open-air observation deck of the early 1960s) and replace it with another "module" (e.g. the redeveloped, closed-in terminal of the late 1970s) to represent a different era in the structure's life.

What type of foam did you use? How thick? Is it black?
    Not sure what you are referring to here (?)

By the way, your model airport is amazing, one of the best I've seen!

From what I remember, Bump!

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment! I'm starting to miss it and look forward to retrieving it from storage one day and completely rejuvenating it.

Here are a couple of shots of the airport apron area being laid out and masked off, then sprayed with Testors "Camouflage Grey" (from memory).

Gavin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Flagship Liberty Supreme Hangar Mechanic Yellow_Ribbon's Avatar
    Thanks Gavin!

You've answered all my questions. In some photos, the foam looks black on the sides.

I've noticed the perfect balance of aircraft that went to your Perth. Lots of heavies, props, and even the military aircraft, along with a centralized location of all this traffic (the area covered by your dio) gives much action, no matter the era.

Perfect, even without the bricks for the pond.

This thread is getting close to 10 years and still running, what an accomplishment!

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar

This thread is getting close to 10 years and still running, what an accomplishment!
    It's been a mesmerizing thread. I find it quite extraordinary what Gavin has been able to achieve in a small space. His craftsmanship is exquisite and the work he has done creating custom models featuring liveries that aren't commercially available blows me away.

I have saved all the pictures from this thread and hope that one day I'll be able to do something similar. I suspect however that, even if I do, it will be nowhere near as wonderful.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

VC-10 Fan Regular Hangar Mechanic Harry_Bird's Avatar
    I too love this thread. Great work. Thumbs up to you!
    Thanks,
    Harry

Thanks for your kind remarks guys.

LOL! Yes, if you had told me when I started this thread it would still be running almost 10 years later I would have laughed.

My humble little Perth is nowhere near as grand as Adrian's LHR, as architecturally precise as Brian's (Oliver's) New York JFK, as sublimely perfect as Jesus' (Trident One's) creations or as comprehensively detailed as Kabasch's or Ciderman's European airports. Perhaps its charm lies in its basic simplicity, evocative of a bygone era that preceded terminal fingers, airbridges and pushback tugs - when airports had lawns and gardens!

Anyway, I attribute this thread's longevity to the fact it has become a place to hang out and reminisce about those "good old" days.

Gavin

One of the photos from the reject file.

Gavin, all the elements, including the grass, simplicity, lack of jetways, and the Planespotting locations really give your Perth a friendly atmosphere.

Nowadays, the big airports are fenced off, with plane spotters rare. I recently watched an old tv show taking place at a real airport. There was a sign with "listen to the tower: 25 cents" and even some mounted binoculars. What a great time! If I was alive during the Golden Age of Aviation, this little place would be like heaven! I could spend hours apon hours there!

Aviation has really changed for the worst after 9/11, in America, in the eyes of a planespotter.

Spotting from a park is just not the same as being on the airport property, such as the tv show.

I found an airport that is Planespotting friendly, but it is not very busy.

Senior Member Regular Hangar Mechanic mvanwering's Avatar
    It doesn't have to be complex at all. Just enough details to give it a real life appearance and no overkill so we don't drown in the details. Just a perfect balance.
    One of my favourite diorama's over here.

Martin
    Take a look at my ever growing collection at:

http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabas...ion-20729.html

Gavin,

I just reread the entire thread today (I had lots of time on my hands), and your diorama continues to amaze me!

Almost every part of your diorama has been covered.

Did you ever superglue the cars in the parking lot?

I want to build a diorama, and bought some yellow tape. How thick should the taxiway lines be? I have 1/32, 3/64 inch, and some other ones. Which one is the most realistic?

P.S. I also saved all the photographs, for inspiration. I hope you don't mind.

No, I never did glue all the cars down in the car park. I like being able to change things around.

I think, if I recall correctly, I used 1/32 width for the taxiway centre lines. The edge lines were broader - these days edge lines are double lines but back in the 1960s at Perth they were non-existent and in the 1970s they were a single broad line as in this photo.

Gavin

As I can't share any new images of my 1/400 scale Perth I thought I would share some images of the real airport as it was back in the 1960s and 70s.

Hopefully you will recognize some of these scenes you have seen in model form.

Gavin

1st - Perth ramp during the 1962 Commonwealth Games with many visiting aircraft.

2nd - Photo from an early 1960s magazine

3rd - 1970s postcard

4th - close up of the courtyard showing the 1960s architecture of the terminal building

And some more ...

1st - First QANTAS 747 to Perth, 3rd September 1971. Note narrowbody air stair was too short - needed an extension!

2nd - going back in time to the first QANTAS 707 (a -138B) to Perth. Note the small fence (and open gate!)

3rd - first visit of Concorde to Perth - note public allowed up close. Imagine that today!

4th - SAA DC-7B in front of the terminal

Stuck in the 60's Senior Hangar Mechanic Jonathan's Avatar
    eyup. I seem to know it well. despite never having been within 1000 miles.

that's a nice collection of historic images, thanks for sharing.

Gavin, I tried my best, but this is what I could find.

I just can't find a photo of those aircraft in this position, with the camera there.

A tribute to your model airport (although it is your photo).

Heh, heh, clever - thanks for that!

Here is a really old shot of the terminal building under construction in 1962 (for the Commonwealth Games to be held in Perth that year).

Followed by a shot of me trying to replicate that facade on my workbench in 1/400 scale over 40 years later.

VC-10 Fan Regular Hangar Mechanic Harry_Bird's Avatar
    Nice, your airport is what inspired me to build my PFI
    Thanks,
    Harry