Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic
    Your modeling skills are most impressive. The "time lapse" affect of going from raw basla the final finshed model is fascinating. You clearly have an abundance of patience and dedication!

Henry

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    This weekend I finally had a go at a job I've been putting off for ages - constructing a group of Qantas flight catering and ground services buildings that were built on the open ground adjoining the terminal.

I have been procrastinating on this task because the buildings are uninspiring - the sort of utility buildings you wouldn't look twice at in real life - and yet they are quite complicated to model.

I have spent the weekend turning a block of balsa into a passable representation of the buildings Qantas constructed in the 1970s then demolished in the late 80s when they moved their operations to Perth's new international terminal.

Here are a couple of progress work bench shots.

Gavin

It isn't finished yet, but here is where it will be positioned on the diorama. I will have to remove the "lawn" in front of the structure and asphalt the area (as happened in real life).

Gavin

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic
    Have you done all of this from photos and memory, or have you been able to obtain old architetural/construction plans to help you?

It's really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 707227
    ... have you been able to obtain old architetural/construction plans to help you?

I WISH!

No, just photos and memory, so I accept it is not going to be completely accurate. As long as it evokes memories of the old airport in all those who knew it then I guess I'll have succeeded.

Thanks for your kind remarks.

Gavin

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic convair 580's Avatar
    I feel like I am really there.Nice work!

I was surprised and amused to receive this CD in the mail today from a member of the Aviation Historical Society (also a friend of mine who knows of my interest in the "old" Perth Airport).

The CD contained over 200 images relating to Perth Airport.

Wow! I'm in heaven! Lots of new views to glean further details from and confirm stuff I had guessed at.

If I'd known he was going to put my model on the front cover I would have taken more time to set up the scene.

Gavin

One of the images on the CD was of an architectural concept model of the complete (proposed) Perth Airport built back in the early 1960s! It didn't end up getting built exactly like this - there were obviously some changes made between design and construction.

Interesting to compare to my own model (which was built "freehand" from memory and photos).

You gotta LOVE that Comet!

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:07 AM.

There were some lovely old B & W shots taken from the control tower.

What I wouldn't do for these two liveries on the AC 707-320 mould.

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:08 AM.

And, of course, this is MY "holy grail" - a V-jet on the AC 707-320 mould would be fantastic! Perth Airport isn't complete without it (please don't tell me to buy the Gemini version).

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Yesterday I stripped all the grass I had glued down in the "paddock" next to the terminal and replaced it with tar and cement (as happened in real life). I added two new structures.

Qantas erected a cluster of buildings on the site in the 1970s and these are what I have tried to represent.

Gavin

The buildings I am trying to represent can be seen in the background of this photo.

Gavin

... and at the left hand side of this shot taken in the early 1980s. An extension to the terminal building was underway at this time (just in front of the lonely Tristar). I will have to build another "lift-off" component to represent that period.

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic davesoda's Avatar
    Gavin that looks fantastic mate! Hey would you consider building me a Essendon Airport terminal mate?

I agree with you on the Caribou I love that aircraft maybe one day in 1:400???
    Cheers,

Dave

See the OVER 600 (1:400) models in my collection at:

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...tion-3626.html

Please AK make me a fleet of IPEC aircraft! DC-3, Argosy and DC-9s! (Jet-X beat you on the DC-9s AK!)

Quote Originally Posted by davesoda
    Gavin that looks fantastic mate! Hey would you consider building me a Essendon Airport terminal mate?

I agree with you on the Caribou I love that aircraft maybe one day in 1:400???
    Dave,

I have a soft spot for Essendon Airport - great memories of flying into that airport as a youngster with my dad.

The good thing for you is you can still go back and visit Essendon (it's like going back in time!!).

The old terminal there is very similar in design to the old Perth Airport terminal. Ours is completely demolished now <SIGH> but when I'm in Melbourne I love to visit Essendon and imagine the ramp full of TAA and Ansett aircraft again.

Gavin

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic psalover's Avatar
    Alright Gavin Your making some of us extreeeemy envious.

Your modeling skills are some of the best I have ever seen. I do not know how you do it. How long does it take you to make something? Take the newest addition, How long? I know you say you use Basal wood. Do you measure it in highth, or are they cut from blocks?

Simply amazing. Have you sent your pictures into any modeling magazines?It would definitely get in them.
    1985 was a good year for aviation.