Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131656 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    Was forgetting that Perth is WESTERN Australia, so of course you would not get TEAL or ANZ Electras there.
    I stand corrected!

My friends (avid log-book types!) tell me TEAL Electras DID come to Perth! (on occasion)

TEAL Electras sometimes operated the South Africa service in place of QF Electras. I guess the correct model would therefore be the one wearing Qantas titles.

I just wish I could like the AC Electra mould. IMHO it is unconvincing - I prefer the DW mould (or the AC Gen 1 mould).

Gavin

Dave,

Just to tease you, here is another shot of the SMA US Navy C-9B at Perth. Not as sharp as Todd would take but I do my best.

I really like this particular model. It is most convincing.

I would like to see this mould adorned in the colours of Ansett-ANA, Ansett Airlines and TAA (old and new colours).

Gavin
    Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-11-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic kiwiball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller
    [..]

My friends (avid log-book types!) tell me TEAL Electras DID come to Perth! (on occasion)
    What dates?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiball
    What dates?
    I was told (by someone going from memory) 1965 or 66.

Gavin

Cadet Trainee Regular Hangar Mechanic
    Wow that's on sweet display you've got there Gavin!

Beautiful!
    Igor

Модели как водочка, вы получают ее никогда достаточно.

Training Captain Master Collector PeeWee's Avatar
    This is one of the nicest looking model airports that I have seen.

Well done, lad.

Even the Bates Boyz would be proud, had they both lived. Sad really. Both mauled and then eaten by a rabid sheltie.

Peewee
    Peewee Airliners-Where Your Very Smallest Dreams Come True http://pwe.hk

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic kiwiball's Avatar
    [..]

I was told (by someone going from memory) 1965 or 66.

Gavin
    Notwithstanding the reliability of memory, if these dates are correct, it is probably an Air NZ version, as TEAL became Air NZ in April 65.

Im not sure exactly when the joint service first showed up, but it is certainly latter than that, possible 1970 when ZK-TED was leased from Qantas for about a hear and got this scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiball
    Notwithstanding the reliability of memory, if these dates are correct, it is probably an Air NZ version, as TEAL became Air NZ in April 65.
    Dave, you are probably right there mate. My source says he only saw it in flight and could confirm only that it wore the blue/turquoise scheme but not whether it was TEAL or Air NZ (he agrees with you, it was probably Air NZ by that time).

This guy has an amazing memory for aviation facts and trivia (he is a past winner of our annual "Aviation Mastermind" trophy) so I trust his account.

Gavin

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    TEAL became Air New Zealand in April 1965. It took only a short while for the branding to be changed on the aircraft as the basic livery remained the same.

The first TEAL Electra arrived in NZ on October 15, 1959.

The South African services operated in 1970 as an extension of joint QANTAS/ANZ operations between Auckland and Sydney.

The last two ANZ L188's left the fold in 1972.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Thanks for that info Tnat.

If I understand your post correctly, you are confirming there were Air NZ Electra flights on the South Africa route in 1970 as part of the joint Qantas/Air NZ operation?

I have been using Google to try and find some information on these flights but haven't been able to come up with anything.

Friends of mine definitely claim to have seen them over Perth though so it seems safe to assume Air NZ Electras did venture as far afield as Jo'burg.

Gavin

I've been itching to add some "crap" to the parking aprons on my diorama but my air compressor has been inoperative. So today I took the thing to pieces and got it going again so I could airbrush some grime around the aircraft parking positions.

At last I have made a start to the weathering process.

Today an Air New Zealand 762 was at Perth.

Gavin

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic
    Gavin

You diorama is amazing, thanks very much for sharing

Neil

On 25th August 1985 All Nippon Airways flew the first of a series of charter flights from Tokyo to Perth with their Mohican-liveried B747SR-81s. My model version arrived in my mailbox from Jetcollector this morning. Very sweet! Another great subject on the BB mould.

All the little 1/400 scale aircraft enthusiasts are out today to watch this unusual visitor roll onto the apron.

Gavin

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Thanks for that info Tnat.

If I understand your post correctly, you are confirming there were Air NZ Electra flights on the South Africa route in 1970 as part of the joint Qantas/Air NZ operation?

I have been using Google to try and find some information on these flights but haven't been able to come up with anything.

Friends of mine definitely claim to have seen them over Perth though so it seems safe to assume Air NZ Electras did venture as far afield as Jo'burg.

Gavin
    Yes, the version with the QANTAS logo painted at the rear of the fuselage. It was only a short term arrangement. The aircraft operated Sydney - Perth (with a stop at Adelaide when winds dictated it) then Perth-Mauritias - J'Burg.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    I've been itching to add some "crap" to the parking aprons on my diorama but my air compressor has been inoperative. So today I took the thing to pieces and got it going again so I could airbrush some grime around the aircraft parking positions.

At last I have made a start to the weathering process.

Today an Air New Zealand 762 was at Perth.

Gavin
    Aha, you've taken my advice -well done! Just a bit more 'crap' like tyre marks, oil stains and fuel spills should do it and I'll believe it's real!! 8)
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines