Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

United Airlines Fan!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jet 8595's Avatar
    It's amazing!!!

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    Celebrations indeed and don't forget to watch it on the NWS-9 news broadcast.
    This is a very exciting wet lease arrangement and a new dimension to our little hobby.

And another PER regular but a rarebird for ADL, the BOAC service arrived today and I am struggling for words to describe how magnificent that model is without sounding false.
    It is without doubt the highlight of my AC B707 fleet and one of the most beautiful models AK has ever produced.
    I don't really think it can be fully appreciated unless seen in person.
    Bravo!

Senior Member Master Collector steve k's Avatar
    Pictures by 11??? LOL
    Happy to be part of Aviation Delight Forum
    Owner of Facebook group "1/87 Car, Truck and Earthmover Group."

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QFA388 View Post
    ... It is without doubt the highlight of my AC B707 fleet and one of the most beautiful models AK has ever produced.
    Quite agree ... although for me it's hard to knock Qantas V-jet VH-EAH "City of Perth" out of #1 spot!

AK's BOAC 707 is right up there though.

Gavin

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    And quite right as that was a special dedication from AK to you.

I also received my British Caledonian which I know you have and again, just beautiful craftsmanship.
    Mental note to me selef, take some pics of it.

Perhaps, just perhaps a Convair 440 in Airlines of South Australia scheme could be dedicated to me, now that would be real nice!!

Master of the Cougar Arts Supreme Hangar Mechanic cougar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steve k View Post
    Perhaps, just perhaps a Convair 440 in Airlines of South Australia scheme could be dedicated to me, now that would be real nice!!
    A South Australian Convair would be sweet, there are so many models to do and add. Its an overload just to write a wishlist these days.....

Good looking airports boys, Gavin and Tim are showing the way proudly..

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Well Gavin, I'm about 6 mos behind in sending you a special package. They will be coming. I know, you say so is Christmas...hahahahah...
    The DC-8 is the best commercial supersonic aircraft ever built!
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Proud to be a honorary Australian citizen.

Chris

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic CYYZ Guy's Avatar
    Did you cut a hole out of an SIA 707 to make it a freighter or combi Gavin? Superb work my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller View Post
    By the mid-1970s my much loved open observation deck had been built over

The original 1962 terminal structure was designed to cope with one or two 707 loads of passengers at a time.

In anticipation of increased passenger traffic with the arrival of the 747, the international arrivals & departures area was expanded.

A new structure was built forward of the old building line and over the old observation deck.

This building had to cope with the growing international traffic (sometimes handling up to four 747s at a time) until a brand-new international terminal was built on the opposite side of the airport (opened 1986).

To represent this era I built a "lift-off" module so I can portray the early 1980s period. Here are a couple of photos with the (still incomplete) building extension added to the diorama.

More work to do yet. This is still a work in progress. [a Qantas freight building has been added in balsa block form for the time being]

Gavin

Jeff

Check out my airline livery blog!

https://justplanecrazyairlineliveries.wordpress.com/

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
    -Leonardo da Vinci

Jets make a lotta noise, but they don't talk back! Pro Collector DC-8-556's Avatar
    Jeff, you got fooled like I did when I saw the 1st photos of Gavin's work years ago. The model is intact. Electricians tape, and some clever modifications do the trick.
    OK, so it was only one flight, for a short time, and in a shallow dive. It still counts!

Chris

Bloody looks the part though, very convincing thats for sure!!! Genious at its best!

Jeff , check out a thread from January 2007. Search "Finnair DC-8" . You'll see the magic. I was only on this forum as an active member for a few days at that point.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CYYZ Guy View Post
    Did you cut a hole out of an SIA 707 to make it a freighter or combi Gavin? Superb work my friend.
    Yes, it is all done with "smoke and mirrors" (and electrical tape).

Here is a Qantas 707 done the same way. I would never actually mark or cut one of my models.

The Air India freight door belongs to another project (just test fitting). By then I had developed the concept beyond blank white electrical tape - I printed the door out on glossy photo paper instead.

Gavin
    Attached Images Attached Images

United Airlines Fan!! A Retired Hangar Mechanic Jet 8595's Avatar
    Any more updates Gavin? Any special Christmas flights arriving?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet 8595 View Post
    Any more updates Gavin? Any special Christmas flights arriving?
    Nuthin's happenin' with the airport itself but I have a heap of unfinished airliner projects on the go at once. My problem is having too many ideas in my head and not enough time to devote to each project - result, many partly finished projects. Right now I am back to working on the first Aussie domestic jets to replace the poxy half-arsed hybrids I created some time ago.

I've reworked my Ansett-ANA decals to correct the height of the fuselage titles and have done a test fit on another donor - still got more corrections to do to make it fit properly around the tail and #2 intake ... and got to repaint the wings to eliminate all that Boeing grey (they should be coloured like the 707s' wings).

Gavin
    Attached Images Attached Images