Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Love the photo. The first aircraft I ever flew on was an Ansett Airlines of NSW F28 from Dubbo to Sydney. Fantastic aircraft.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    This is why a new dedicated international terminal had to be built at Perth in the mid-eighties.

The relatively small apron at the "old" terminal wasn't designed to cope with the growing traffic volumes and larger aircraft sizes of the wide-body era.

Here, no less than FIVE 747s crowd the apron shortly before the end of international operations at the old terminal. Can you spot the 5th one and name the airline?

I hope we see Garuda's livery on the BigBird mould soon. I have all the other 742s in this scene.

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic IKONOS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller
    Can you spot the 5th one and name the airline?
    Qantas? in between the Singapore and Garuda?

Quote Originally Posted by IKONOS
    [..]

Qantas? in between the Singapore and Garuda?
    Yep. So that's a Gemini Jets version amongst the BigBirds

Gavin

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Hi Gavin,

I have just seen these releases today and thought that these are a MUST for your layout?
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic kiwiball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    Hi Gavin,

I have just seen these releases today and thought that these are a MUST for your layout?
    Unfortunately not - Air NZ didn't start services to Perth until '81, with a DC-10. The only appearacne before then was a few moths earlier with a DC-8 taking the Queen and hubby to Perth from Auckland

We'll work on him though!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiball
    Unfortunately not - Air NZ didn't start services to Perth until '81, with a DC-10. The only appearacne before then was a few moths earlier with a DC-8 taking the Queen and hubby to Perth from Auckland

We'll work on him though!
    Dave, you just sent me back into our local club's logs to find this DC-8 you referred to (Queen's visit). Sure enough, an Air NZ DC-8-52 ZK-NZE is listed on 20th October 1981. I must have missed it at the time but I'm glad to know about it because now I have an excuse to buy a pax DC-8 if one is ever released. I thought the only Air NZ DC-8 to visit Perth was the converted freighter ZK-NZD I got an airside visit to photograph on 16th March, 1986. I think they are the only Air NZ DC-8s to visit Perth.

As you said, DC-10 services commenced a few months after the Queen's visit on 3rd December 1981 (ZK-NZL).

I don't think TEAL Electras ever ventured this far west, but I would happily stand corrected.

Gavin

There haven't been any progress shots of work on my model of Perth Airport lately because there hasn't been much progress!!

Thought I would post this shot of the "new" international departures building coming together on my workbench just to show you that I haven't completely forgotten about my project.

I don't have any working drawings so construction is purely by reference to old photographs. It wont be an exact replica but hopefully will capture the general "feel" and "look" of the old airport. Still more details to add to this building but it is nearing completion.

Hope you don't mind a "workbench" shot.

Gavin

Here is where the new structure fits on the layout. (It was built over the old open air observation deck

My latest two additions (which arrived today), AC SIA B707 and SMA US Navy C-9B, sit in front.

Gavin

Co-Pilot A Retired Hangar Mechanic davesoda's Avatar
    Gavin you lucky bastard!! Where the HELL did you get that SMA USN DC-9?? I soooooooooo want one!
    Cheers,

Dave

See the OVER 600 (1:400) models in my collection at:

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...tion-3626.html

Please AK make me a fleet of IPEC aircraft! DC-3, Argosy and DC-9s! (Jet-X beat you on the DC-9s AK!)

Cadet Trainee Senior Hangar Mechanic psalover's Avatar
    Gavin, I do so admire your work. You are probably one of the most talented airport builder I have seen to date. I am very impressed.

Dave
    1985 was a good year for aviation.

Relief Pilot Supreme Hangar Mechanic SNBA's Avatar
    Gavin, excellent pictures! Your airport is just amazing! What building materials are you using for the terminal in that second to last shot? Is it cardboard or plastic?
    Davy

Quote Originally Posted by davesoda
    Gavin you lucky bastard!! Where the HELL did you get that SMA USN DC-9?? I soooooooooo want one!
    Dave, I've been looking for one on eBay for months. Was outbid on a couple of auctions. Finally got lucky but it cost me $US60 ($AU85). Plus postage. Ouch!!!

Worth it in my opinion to get this rare gem as they have been frequent visitors to Perth.

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by SNBA
    Gavin, excellent pictures! Your airport is just amazing! What building materials are you using for the terminal in that second to last shot? Is it cardboard or plastic?
    Thanks for your generous remarks guys.

Davy, I use balsa blocks for the basic shape. This is clad completely with Evergreen scribed and plain plastic sheet. The external covered stairways were a challenge. I had to cut lots of tiny pieces of plastic to cover all the different surfaces!

Gavin

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Hi Gavin,

Was forgetting that Perth is WESTERN Australia, so of course you would not get TEAL or ANZ Electras there. No doubt you are patiently waiting for all the lovely TAA & Ansett Electras and Viscounts.....or even DC-3s..THAT SOME KIND SOLE MIGHT MAKE...hint, hint? Always good to see your postings, airport, workbench or whatever - all very interesting!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines