Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    Thanks for your kind remarks guys.

Todd's (BOAC) and Sammy's (MAS) 747s have both made "long-haul" flights down under recently!

I wish I could get my images nice and sharp like yours Todd, but there's a limit to what you can expect out of a "point and shoot" digital I guess.

Gavin

Training Captain Ultimate Collector JustPlaneCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller
    I wish I could get my images nice and sharp like yours Todd, but there's a limit to what you can expect out of a "point and shoot" digital I guess.

Gavin

Actually, they look very good, my pictures are all close up's focusing in on one small area which is easier to do than a wide shot.

I have not messed around with wide pictures yet, and it is more difficult to shoot wide stuff and have everything in the picture in focus.

One of these days I would like to create an airport display, just no time now......so I will enjoy yours!
    Correct response to being robbed at gunpoint
    ---------------------------------------

THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF DEATH
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All of the 747 classics I have bought for my Perth Airport diorama are BigBird400 with the exception of BOAC and Qantas (both Gemini, only because BB haven't released these two).

I will be disappointed if BB stops manufacturing model airliners because I have really appreciated the overall high quality of their models.

In these photos BigBird's SAA B747-244B "Lebombo" is serviced at Perth en route Sydney - Jo'burg. Visitors watch the activity from the observation deck.

Gavin

Éminence Grise A Retired Hangar Mechanic TK-421's Avatar
    I will be disappointed if BB stops manufacturing model airliners because I have really appreciated the overall high quality of their models.
    Yeah, me too. BB make up approximately a quarter of my collection. Along with AC and GJ, I really look forward to seeing what they will release each month. Sure not everything is to my taste or from our geography of interest but I rarely can deny that they look anything less than spectacular.
    In these photos BigBird's SAA B747-244B "Lebombo" is serviced at Perth en route Sydney - Jo'burg. Visitors watch the activity from the observation deck. Gavin
    Sensational mate. Let me know when you start work on Sydney Airport, 2005. I'm sure you would have a few bidders on the east coast!
    Trent

Trent,

Perth 1970 has taken me long enough! Sydney 2005? I think I'll leave that one to you mate!

Here's a view from the landside. Still more detail work to do in the courtyard including stairs to both observation decks, curved walls around the water feature and some 1/400 black swans gliding on the surface!

Gavin

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Gavin,

I've only just got round to having a look at this. WOW, I do admire someone that does their research and builds a real airport true to life. You hard work and frustrations have certainly paid off and it's even better if you can convert it easily to represent different eras.
    I have longed to build the Heathrow central terminal and tower, but the detail that I would have to create is so daunting! When I retire, perhaps... Meanwhile WELL DONE!
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    I have longed to build the Heathrow central terminal and tower, but the detail that I would have to create is so daunting! When I retire, perhaps... Meanwhile WELL DONE!
    Thanks Adrian. Yes I understand what you are saying about LHR's old terminal and tower structures. As with Perth they were built in an earlier era with some quite detailed architecture involved! More modern structures seem to be a lot simpler in design.

I think a model of an "actual" airport probably enjoys a better feeling of realism because it is not modular or generic. Real airports have bits "added on" as they expand - eg, aprons are extended and buildings are modified, extended or replaced. In the case of the 1962 Perth Terminal buildings they also have growing trees and shrubs.

In attempting to capture the "actual" scene at a real airport, all these "warts and all" features and ad hoc changes must be reproduced and consequently the model probably takes on a more realistic look than a modular layout where everything is at perfect 90 degree angles and mates perfectly with the next foil section.

I still have to add all the stains to the apron yet - that should add a bit more realism to the diorama.

Gavin

To assist me layout the apron and correctly position the buildings I used this aerial photograph taken of Perth Airport in the mid-1980s (a bit later than my preferred time period, but useful nonetheless).

At the time of this photo the airport was a virtual construction zone with major extensions being carried out to the terminal buildings (not on my model) and earthworks under way to further extend the parking apron (bottom right-hand corner). I wanted to represent the twenty years prior to this.

Gavin

Here is an aerial view of my model. It is not exactly like the 1980s aerial photo because it represents an earlier period when the layout was slightly different (before extensions).

Gavin

From photographs a lot of people imagine my airport diorama to be a lot larger than it is. When they see it "in the flesh" they are surprised at how small 1/400 scale really is!

Here is a photo with the cabinet/lights in the picture to give some "perspective".

Gavin

That is beautiful mate, like a fine wine.
    Outstanding.
    Trent

Can you build me an airport, Please??
    I want one.
    Trent

This Ansett livery is actually incompatible with the 1960s/70s terminal in the background. I think this livery appeared well into the 1990s but, what the hell, it was one of my favourites so I bought it anyway!

This one spends its time on a shelf in my office along with a DW 743 and a DW A320 in the same livery.

Gavin

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Gavin,

This really is a superb layout, but I hope you don't mind me suggesting one thing to make it look more real - DIRT! It is far too 'clinical' and needs some oil stains and tyre marks on the apron from the turning and parking aircraft, as well as from the servicing vehicles. Look at the photos of the Air India 707s for example.
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, MEA -Q-Jet, PIA -final, TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

Caravelles still needed to be made: Luxair, Air Algerie, Sabena (final 'S' logo scheme}, SAS 'SCANDINAVIAN' late '60s scheme; Libyan Arab Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    Gavin,

This really is a superb layout, but I hope you don't mind me suggesting one thing to make it look more real - DIRT!
    Oh yes, I agree wholeheartedly Adrian. The aerial photo of the real thing (above) shows exactly where those stains should be too (look at all the crap under the Tristar!).

On my last model airport (in 1/200 scale) I found the best way to subtly put stains on the concrete (without overdoing it) was with an airbrush. I intend to do the same on this model but at the moment my compressor isn't working.

Gavin
    Last edited by Gavin Miller; 01-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.