Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627282932 ... LastLast

Thread: Perth Airport, Western Australia

Master of the Cougar Arts Supreme Hangar Mechanic cougar's Avatar
    simply awesome to keep coming here and catching up on the installments, my wife just came in and said its worse than home and away

Senior Member A Retired Hangar Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller View Post
    Tim, I have now received my GJ Qantas B767-200. What a gorgeous little model which captures the look of the 762 so well.

It represents the very first Qantas aircraft in the "new" Qantas livery (of the mid-1980s) to touch down in Perth.

Here she is on the ramp today.

Gavin
    Gavin,
    Just checked in. Fantastic, just fantastic.

I'm gob-smacked with the realism as always and the pic with the 3 146s and the 762 is just excellent.
    Put some pics of your airport in a 1:1 magazine like Airports of the World and I bet many wouldn't realise it was 1:400.

I look forward to seeing the pics with the extensions you are doing. That additional space will allow more a/c to be parked up so the long shots looking down the ramp will be wonderful.
    Super work

Converted Plastic Modeller A Retired Hangar Mechanic Gavin Miller's Avatar
    I remember well the day the first Qantas 767 landed in Perth.

My group, the Aircraft Enthusiasts Group WA, were allowed airside for a photographic sortie - in fact we were driven to the side of the runway by airport Safety Officers to photograph it touching down. Sigh! Those were the days - such special treatment couldn't even be considered today.

Unfortunately I was shooting slides so, can't share them here. (yet! ... but I intend to get lots of my slides converted).

Here she is, taxying out to depart on her inaugural Perth-Tokyo flight.

... and rotating off the main runway. GJ's gear bogies swivel so rotation can be depicted.

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Miller View Post
    GJ's gear bogies swivel so rotation can be depicted.
    Great pics, especially the take-of ones!

Has GJ re-tooled all of their models' boogies or is just this one having this feature?
    ...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

Quote Originally Posted by Sportyboy View Post
    Great pics, especially the take-of ones!

Has GJ re-tooled all of their models' boogies or is just this one having this feature?
    Thanks Lorenzo. Can't tell you about any other GJs as this is the only recent one I have.

Gavin

Master Yoda Ultimate Collector backfire's Avatar
    Hey! those are really nice pictures of the landing!!!

Where did you take them from!!!

Backfire
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

I'm cute. I'm cuddly. I'm totally deranged. A Retired Hangar Mechanic Sportyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by backfire View Post
    Hey! those are really nice pictures of the landing!!!

Where did you take them from!!!

Backfire
    SalBossaFireNova, you ate too much bananas today: those are ROTATION pics!

...Silent, Swift, Superb...
    Lorenzo

JetPhotos

Quote Originally Posted by Sportyboy View Post
    SalBossaFireNova, you ate too much bananas today: those are ROTATION pics!

That's what I said the Take Off!!! Owww Bananas!!!

Backfire
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

'I've got all the time in the world - All the things you require - All the strength to survive - All the pain and desire'

Training Captain Pro Collector transnat's Avatar
    Gavin,

I can't find the words to express my appreciation of your crafstmanship, your enthusiasm and your dedication to, not only the 1:400 model airliner hobby we share, but for Australian commercial aviation.

Thanks so much for keeping this thread going for such a long time and continuing to provide us all with such immense enjoyment.

Tnat
    Tnat

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars

See the 1226 models in Transnat's collection @ http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/collect/

Senior Member Master Collector steve k's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by transnat View Post
    Gavin,

I can't find the words to express my appreciation of your crafstmanship, your enthusiasm and your dedication to, not only the 1:400 model airliner hobby we share, but for Australian commercial aviation.

Thanks so much for keeping this thread going for such a long time and continuing to provide us all with such immense enjoyment.

Tnat
    Agreed whole heartedly, and the best part of all is the way the diorama changes week to week, STUNNING!!
    You mentioned copying slides.......I recently bought a Canon MP-810 printer, scanner, copier which has a slide copying feature, which may be ideal for copying and saving the slides you have, must get around to copying mine off soon, have a lot of Ansett/TAA/Qantas etc stuff that goes back many years, so one day, will get them all on to the computer, and then share them with some of the younger members who would not remember the good old days of Australian Aviation Heritage.
    Customising some DC-4's and 6's might be the way to go Gavin!! Its on my mind too......
    Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by steve k View Post
    Agreed whole heartedly, and the best part of all is the way the diorama changes week to week, STUNNING!!
    You mentioned copying slides.......I recently bought a Canon MP-810 printer, scanner, copier which has a slide copying feature, which may be ideal for copying and saving the slides you have, must get around to copying mine off soon, have a lot of Ansett/TAA/Qantas etc stuff that goes back many years, so one day, will get them all on to the computer, and then share them with some of the younger members who would not remember the good old days of Australian Aviation Heritage.
    Customising some DC-4's and 6's might be the way to go Gavin!! Its on my mind too......
    Steve K
    Have you done any slides yet with this feature? How do they come out??

Backfire
    Sal
    Honorary Aussie Too

Deborah Ann Gibson

Senior Member Master Collector steve k's Avatar
    Havent as yet, but intend to try it out soon, QF 787 did some recently on a similar copier to mine, and the results were pretty good in my opinion.
    must try out a few and see what happens, also does CD labels, etc etc. and very reasonably priced unit too!

Fly United DC-8's to Hawaii Supreme Hangar Mechanic dc8mainliner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by transnat View Post
    Gavin,

Tnat
    And I must say also: INSPIRATION! I have purchased my base boards and am one step closer to laying the foundations for my Honolulu and Miami Airport Dioramas! I've had the plans for years, but was always afraid to move to the building stage. Thanks Gavin. Hope to post some initial photos soon.
    Chris

Diecast Quality Inspector Pro Collector Adrian's Avatar
    Gavin,

Going back to the start of this thread, I am assessing your methods of working, so I can take on board 'best practise' for my Heathrow model.
    I note you made your buildings from blocks of Balsa. Did you clad them with plasticard, or what, before you painted them? I have plans to build my terminal buildings from scratch, planning and cutting the walls out from plasticard sheets and wonder what advantage Balsa blocks have?
    Adrian

The missing B.707s still needed to be done: Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Air Niugini. TMA of Lebanon (with correct Lemon colour tail)

DC-8s still needed to be done: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63)

1/400 scale new mould wish list ; Tupolev Tu-114, Tu-134, Antonov An-12, An-24, Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31, Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy, Airspeed Ambassador, Avro York

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Gavin,

Going back to the start of this thread, I am assessing your methods of working, so I can take on board 'best practise' for my Heathrow model.
    I note you made your buildings from blocks of Balsa. Did you clad them with plasticard, or what, before you painted them? I have plans to build my terminal buildings from scratch, planning and cutting the walls out from plasticard sheets and wonder what advantage Balsa blocks have?
    Adrian,

In this small scale I found creating the basic shape of my structures in balsawood the easiest way to make quick progress. In an afternoon you can have the whole outline of your terminal created. The cladding (with Evergreen plastic sheet), painting and detailing is trickier and takes more time and modelling skills but is not a major challenge.

Here is a photo showing work in progress. This structure started as a block of balsa wood. I then cut pieces of "scribed siding" (Evergreen) plastic sheet and glued them to the block to create a likeness to the building in the photo. The enclosed stairways on each side took a lot of tedious cutting and glueing but the wall cladding and roof were fairly straightforward.

I consider this method as "modelling for the less gifted" because it is easier to prepare a basic shape out of blocks (eg leggo) than it is to create that shape out of individual wall and roof components.

Obviously, if you want a lighted structure, a different approach would be necessary.

My 1/200 model airport (see here http://users.bigpond.net.au/miller_s...irports_1.html ) was a "hollow" structure with a lit interior but I still used balsa sheeting for the basic structure (floors and roof, etc) then clad it completely with Evergreen scribed plastic sheet.

Hope this helps.

Gav

PS - just look at what Dean has been able to create out of balsa wood for his Aukland diorama - and he says he has never built a model before!! My advice to everyone - buy some material and START something (overcome inertia). If you don't like what you have created, so what? It was good experience and balsa isn't that expensive in small quantities.