PDA

View Full Version : Customising

Lufthansaboy
06-21-2011, 09:03 AM
This has probably been asked before, but how easy/difficult is it to customise a 1/400? Whats it like removing existing decals and applying new? I have been looking at the Draw Decal website for ideas. Thanks for any advice.

modelmanGB
11-16-2011, 03:06 AM
This has probably been asked before, but how easy/difficult is it to customise a 1/400? Whats it like removing existing decals and applying new? I have been looking at the Draw Decal website for ideas. Thanks for any advice.
Acytone (NOT nail varnish remover) can bought from your local chemist for about 1.50 for a small 50mL bottle, and with careful use will easiliy remove existing "decals" from a model.
As for creating new liveries I create my own decals from data and logos downloaded from the internet and then using MS Exel to gernerate windows/doors etc. So far generated over 40 custom liveries this way.

virginaustralia787
04-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Acytone (NOT nail varnish remover) can bought from your local chemist for about 1.50 for a small 50mL bottle, and with careful use will easiliy remove existing "decals" from a model.
As for creating new liveries I create my own decals from data and logos downloaded from the internet and then using MS Exel to gernerate windows/doors etc. So far generated over 40 custom liveries this way.

how do you print them?

modelmanGB
04-16-2012, 02:37 AM
how do you print them?
Once you have the design/decals set up you do a few paper print outs to adjust the print size you need, the use clear inkjet decal paper to print them. Then seal them with 4-5 coats of acrylic gloss varnish.

virginaustralia787
04-18-2012, 01:19 AM
@modelmangb
thanks! i really need the info as i was looking to make a custom.
voz787

MSX
05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Guys I have the following question, is there any official company/firm/shop that can make a customized model based on the molds, liveries and reg. numbers of your choice? By official I mean not some individual craftsman doing this stuff privately but some registered site, company, firm whatever that has some physical address, accepting credit cards, etc and specializing in orders like this?

Capt. Rickenbacker
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Most nail polish removers are acetone based. Only bottles marked as "non-acetone" remover have a different solvent...usually less harsh.

JBCousin
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Therefore it is possible to erase the impressions of an original model with acetone without damaging the white (or other) bottom? No need to repaint the fuselage in white to make the desired livery? I prefer to ask than to try on my models. :lol:

Then seal them with 4-5 coats of acrylic gloss varnish.
Is it not too much? The decals aren't too thick after so many layers?