PDA

View Full Version : Display Cabinets

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, ive been exploring the idea of buying or even making a tall shelf display cabinet to properly show of my planes in there pride and glory. I have seen some here as well as in other forums that look very expensive.

The picture you see below was that of my first attempt about 3 years ago (no experience with a hammer at all, just insurance). It cost my only $120NZD and as you can see is very rough but does the job. I made is so that it showed of three of my favorite things in life....

Planes :shock::shock::lol:

Star Trek

TV

:lol::lol:

The problem was, there was too much TREK and not enough planes. This room I will have one day will soley be dedicated to aviation.

Has anyone here made there own display shelves and have any ideas?

How do you display your models?

Any comments, ideas, pics and even plans would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Jase.

PS - Pic was taken from my bedroom when I was still living with my parents. Boy were they glad when I left taking my planes with me. (Planes were almost in every room of the home back then haha)

backfire
04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Now That's! A Hell of allot of Trek!!!! yes!

:lol:

ANA Mohican
04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow, STAR TREK.......so many. You did a splendid job on the shelf. Did you take the shelf with you to your new home? Now, if you replace all your VHS with BLU-Ray you'll have more room to spare.:lol:

I once made a shelf using a cube. I added additional shelves within and attached plexiglass with hinge for door.
73344 http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/ANA_Mohican/collection4.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/ANA_Mohican/collection5.jpg

SPfan
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
I love the Toyota 2000GT... AutoArt?

ANA Mohican
04-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I love the Toyota 2000GT... AutoArt?

Yes, its AA. Got me a white one with top down too.

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Wow love the collections you have. I especially love the Thunderbirds models.

With the cabinet seen in the picture, it was custom built for the room so I left at home...plus were I live now, its only a studio apartment. The only I items I took with me from the shelf were my planes and TV.

I have however started slowly getting the star trek box sets.

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Wow, STAR TREK.......so many. You did a splendid job on the shelf. Did you take the shelf with you to your new home? Now, if you replace all your VHS with BLU-Ray you'll have more room to spare.:lol:

I once made a shelf using a cube. I added additional shelves within and attached plexiglass with hinge for door.

From the amount of models and dioramas you have, you must have the entire mansion dedicated to your collection.:lol::lol:;)

ANA Mohican
04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
From the amount of models and dioramas you have, you must have the entire mansion dedicated to your collection.:lol::lol:;)

Thanks, but that would be Sal (Backfire), the toy emperor of 400SH. I'm just a padawan. :lol:

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks, but that would be Sal (Backfire), the toy emperor of 400SH. I'm just a padawan. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Thats a good one. I would love to see more photos of your displays and cabinets if you or even Sal and other have some to share.

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Now That's! A Hell of allot of Trek!!!! yes!

Yeap,

Complete Star Trek Fact Files, complete TNG and Voyager series on good old VHS. Books and box sets galore. ;)

I would love to see photos o f you display your overwhelming collections.

backfire
04-02-2011, 08:55 PM

WOW! :shock:

I would love to see photos o f you display your overwhelming collections.

I have posted quite a bit but it's probably scattered throughout the site.

But then there is so much left to go!!! :lol:

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 08:59 PM
WOW! :shock:

I have posted quite a bit but it's probably scattered throughout the site.

But then here is so much left to go!!! :lol:

haha yeah Ive noticed a more then a few of what you have collected and must take my hat off to you. Truly a great collection. ;)

backfire
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
haha yeah Ive noticed a more then a few of what you have collected and must take my hat off to you. Truly a great collection. ;)

;) ;) ;)

:thnx:

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
;) ;) ;)

:thnx:

Just out of curiosity, do you also collect cards?

Jase

backfire
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you also collect cards?

Jase

Which cards??

Polynesian Airlines
04-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Which cards??

Any sort..... star wars, base ball, I only ask cause ive seen some real hard core displays.

ANA Mohican
04-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I have Buck Rogers, ALIEN, and a few STAR WARS cards. Most of them got thrown out by my mother (Close Encounters, STAR WARS, Moonraker, Charlies Angels, etc). I do not care for any sports so never collected them.

I can't find Buck and ALIEN at the moment.

Here's STAR WARS card made of metal.

backfire
04-03-2011, 01:13 AM
OK! Now I remember... I have a complete collection of Playboy cards with almost all of the Playmate cards singed by the girl on the card!! ;)

I can't put any pictures of those here! :^^:

A Close Encounter card set, a a few others around somewhere!

Wine Wine Wine everything for me!!!

ANA Mohican
04-03-2011, 01:30 AM
I think I have one Playboy card signed by someone (can't remember who at the moment). I gotta go look for it. I also have a card signed by Ginger Lynn and Savanna ( yes, that one).

backfire
04-03-2011, 01:35 AM
I think I have one Playboy card signed by someone (can't remember who at the moment). I gotta go look for it. I also have a card signed by Ginger Lynn and Savanna ( yes, that one).

That is cool!! ;)

I'll try to get a picture of some of the cards but they will posted somewhere else!! :lol:

Polynesian Airlines
04-03-2011, 01:41 AM
That is cool!! ;)

I'll try to get a picture of some of the cars but they will posted somewhere else!! :lol:

hahaha, small world.. I have only playboy card, not signed tho. I have star wars and star trek but also allot of batman cards.

Im not fussed if you post a pic here mate, but then again, im not the boss.

Polynesian Airlines
04-03-2011, 01:42 AM
I have Buck Rogers, ALIEN, and a few STAR WARS cards. Most of them got thrown out by my mother (Close Encounters, STAR WARS, Moonraker, Charlies Angels, etc). I do not care for any sports so never collected them.

I can't find Buck and ALIEN at the moment.

Here's STAR WARS card made of metal.

Wow, they dont make em like they use aye. Cheers for the pics.

Polynesian Airlines
04-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Found this as an example.... id probably do this for important/fragile planes.....

Polynesian Airlines
04-03-2011, 02:01 AM
This is a prime example of what I wish to do, but if any of you guys have different ways of displaying your planes..then please share..

Polynesian Airlines
04-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Ive just seen some of you other posts here and in other forums..mate with all your collections..your insurance premiums must be thru the roof :lol::lol::lol:.

joseph05
11-14-2012, 03:02 AM
hi dear,
When most customers think of display cabinets a wooden, floor standing armoire or wall mounting case comes to mind. Although these are classic models, there are so many other options available. Polished metal frames and exteriors provide for a sleek and durable cabinet for nearly any situation. Available in all sorts of polishes, metal cases have a modern feel. Frameless options are also appearing to keep the focus completely on the featured items. However, there are still many wooden options. Maple wood finished, Cherry wood finished, Rosewood finished, and Oak wood finished display cabinets are still extremely popular and available at all legitimate distributors.
Thanks.:)
funique (http://www.funique.co.uk)

BWIA international
09-25-2015, 10:06 AM
This is what you need......

http://www.400scalehangar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42871

just thought I'd share for fun.....this was idolatry.....Most are gone now and my life is more simple for it.

Otavio Santos
09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
I have a custom made cabinet that host arounf 1000 models.