PDA

View Full Version : To the Mods - I'm getting old!

QFA388
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
I was thinking and seeing as 'Im getting older, I have seen some great modelling tips and techniques posted in various threads but I can't remember them all.

I was wondering if there is any merit to having a separate forum section called...

Tips and Techniques.

Here people can post their nifty tricks which they have used over time to modify, change, upgrade models etc.
Curious to see if other people would find a section like this helpful.

just a thought before I forget:oops:

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm 85 you know, now where's my teeth? It wasnt like this in my day. We need a forum for tips and techniques, im sure someone brought this up years ago, i cant remember where I read it. Im off to throw cats at people now.

steve k
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
What was the question again? Oh yeah, thats right, tips and techniques for repairing/ modifying models thread, sounds like a great idea to me, a most worthwhile section indeed. You have my full interest and support for this idea.

QF787
04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I read something in a forum about a section for Tips and Techniques canít remember which forum it was in and now canít find the post.

Anyway sounds like a good idea and believe it was suggested by a young man from northern Adelaide in New South Wales.

Must go it is time for my tablets or have I already taken them.

Bob

backfire
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm 85 you know, now where's my teeth? It wasnt like this in my day. We need a forum for tips and techniques, im sure someone brought this up years ago, i cant remember where I read it. Im off to throw cats at people now.

Your 85 and still working!!! :shock:

You mailed me your teeth instead of that model I wanted!!!

I got your teeth right here!! ;)

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Ah yesh, i shee, i wash wondering why i only getsh fed liquid foodsh. Ive kept the catsh joke going over three threadsh today, that ish comedy value!!!! Shtrangely, the model dowshnt fit in my moushth.

steve k
04-09-2010, 06:18 PM
You guys crack me up, tooooo funny!!:lol::lol::lol:

Bravo-Alpha-Golf
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Maybe we can call it the "Geriatric tips and techniques for the senile and incontinent model builders".

backfire
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Ah yesh, i shee, i wash wondering why i only getsh fed liquid foodsh. Ive kept the catsh joke going over three threadsh today, that ish comedy value!!!! Shtrangely, the model dowshnt fit in my moushth.

Not a problem! I'll ship them back as soon as i clean them! My dog has been using them. She a riot when she's fooling around with them!!! :lol:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/148/dogteeth.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/dogteeth.jpg/)

steve k
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Ya got me howling after seeing that one!!!

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I would howl like a banshee if i had my teesh :o( im off to throw more catsh at Faheem to cheer myshelf up

CBL
04-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree that this is a good one ;)

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Itsh quite sherioush i cant eat sholid foodsh.

steve k
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
As long as you can drink, you will be fine,,,,,Hic! Hic!!!:^^:

Nautione
04-09-2010, 07:26 PM
His bite is worse that his bark.

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Woof woof!

steve k
04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Boy o' boy this thread has drifted off course.

JustPlaneCrazy
04-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Boy o' boy this thread has drifted off course.

As usual and I'm getting ready to lock it! And all others that drift off!

Beware!

steve k
04-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I certainly hope you don't lock it, as a thread of this nature will be of great benefit to many of us collectors to rectify errors etc that most of us can fix on these models.
Could we perhaps see this as a seperate section in the future, so that topics discussed and advice given can be easily located?

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-09-2010, 08:41 PM
If this thread got locked i would be very very upset.

JustPlaneCrazy
04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I certainly hope you don't lock it, as a thread of this nature will be of great benefit to many of us collectors to rectify errors etc that most of us can fix on these models.
Could we perhaps see this as a seperate section in the future, so that topics discussed and advice given can be easily located?

If this thread got locked i would be very very upset.

Then everyone keep it on topic!

I will consider adding a section for tips, etc......

steve k
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
THANK YOU, that would make things very easy, Cheers!!

QFA388
04-10-2010, 12:37 AM
I put up a thread and suggestion in order to assist collectors and it gets screwed over with absolute rubbish.
Way to go!:00:

QF787
04-10-2010, 01:00 AM
I put up a thread and suggestion in order to assist collectors and it gets screwed over with absolute rubbish.
Way to go!:00:

Tim,

I think it is a great idea and one you should be proud of suggesting.

Sorry I thought you could take a joke. :lol:

In my original post I did say "it was a great idea".

Bob

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Tim, the joke here unravelled itself over 3 or 4 different threads last night (and was quite clever in some ways and funnier than you might expect it to be, though Dundas, Ontario may now have a larger cat population), and I did explain to one of the mods that the on topics would return today.
SO with my teeth emailed back to me, heres my 2 cents in different currencies.

Great idea, i think as an attachment to the custom hangar it would be a great idea and easy to find. One of my IL-76s shed some engines recently but they can be glued back on. But what glue should I use?? Likewise my USN C-9 and a GJ Trident has lost some wheels and I need spares, and finally one of my IL-18s is shedding wheels and tyres too, so I do need advice on whether to glue or what have you. Maybe out of a tips and tricks hangar, a little cottage industry could grow, eg how to make a DC-6 hangar or cargo shedfrom a plastic box of chocolates. We will see. A bit Blue Peter for opur engliush viewers??? Maybe but it might just be good fun! Over to Todd and Faheem then.

steve k
04-10-2010, 07:23 AM
We all share a sense of humour, so its appreciated but sometimes we all get carried away with it, asides that, I am looking forward to seeing a new thread started that may assist fellow collectors with little issues with their models and hopefully succesful outcomes as a result of it!

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes, the humor was very surreal last night but it all linked together over a number of threads (and cats) and we all had a top laugh, so, what glue should I use on my IL-76 as it still needs sorted (bearing i mind I am in the UK, not Oz or USA)??

JustPlaneCrazy
04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I was thinking and seeing as 'Im getting older, I have seen some great modelling tips and techniques posted in various threads but I can't remember them all.

I was wondering if there is any merit to having a separate forum section called...

Tips and Techniques.

Here people can post their nifty tricks which they have used over time to modify, change, upgrade models etc.
Curious to see if other people would find a section like this helpful.

just a thought before I forget:oops:

Here you go buddy ;)

http://www.400scalehangar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

I can also move any thread you find elsewhere that should go in the new section, just send there location and I'll move them :)

steve k
04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for doing that for us, it is much appreciated. It will make previous tips easier to find/refer to!!

QFA388
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Todd,
This is greatly appreciated and I hope it will be a well utilised addition to the forum.

steve k
04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Great idea, i think as an attachment to the custom hangar it would be a great idea and easy to find. One of my IL-76s shed some engines recently but they can be glued back on. But what glue should I use?? Likewise my USN C-9 and a GJ Trident has lost some wheels and I need spares, and finally one of my IL-18s is shedding wheels and tyres too, so I do need advice on whether to glue or what have you. Maybe out of a tips and tricks hangar, a little cottage industry could grow, eg how to make a DC-6 hangar or cargo shedfrom a plastic box of chocolates. We will see. A bit Blue Peter for opur engliush viewers??? Maybe but it might just be good fun! Over to Todd and Faheem then.

Ive used a couple of glues in the past and with great results
model kit styrene glue seems to work well, and one Tim suggested to me some time ago was super glue carefully applied on a fine toothpick, or piece of fuse wire or plastic. Just place the model up side down and apply the glue sparingly to the insides of the wheels. Just a micro drop will run in and permanently fix them and wont make the wheels go cloudy etc.

PRESTWICK PIONEER
04-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Cheers Steve, just read this, also left the question on one of the threads in the new hangar. Sadly cant find the C-9 wheels at all. I do have some super glue somewhere will give it a go when the models are out of the storage room again but i am more tempted by styrene glue.