PDA

View Full Version : My recent fun....warning, graphic pictures.

JustPlaneCrazy
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Broken wrist with external fixator screwed into my hand and arm...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/arm1.JPG

After surgery, metal plate and screws...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/arm2.jpg

http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/arm3.jpg

Before first surgery,
skin only thing holding my foot to my leg.
Bone protruding through skin...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/1.jpg

X-ray showing damage to leg...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/2.jpg

After first surgery,
installed external fixator to hold foot to leg for transport to different hospital who could repair damage...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/3.jpg

After 5 more surgeries, metal plate and screws installed...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/4.jpg

http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/5.jpg

Two weeks after last surgery inspection and partial stitch removal...
http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/6.jpg

http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/7.jpg

http://www.400scalehangar.net/todd/Misc-Pictures/Medical/8.jpg

It will be another 8 to 12 months before I will be able to put any weight on the bad leg.

Fun, fun!

backfire
03-12-2010, 10:58 PM
GULP! :shock:

:cry:

Aussie_Flyer
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
WOW.... :shock: Are the screws permanent?

Good to have you back Todd. ;)

mini groover
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Are you okey...

Bravo-Alpha-Golf
03-12-2010, 11:26 PM
University of Kansas? You let students operate on you? Are those the two students doing their homework on their laptops in one of the pics? Joking aside, those are bad injuries, how did they happen if you don't mind me asking? I wish you a swift recovery and welcome back.;)

M404
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
That film looks familiar....bike or parachute?

IKONOS
03-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Dude, what the hell got a hold of you? Man! I'm glad you're (Relatively) alright. ;)

steve k
03-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Thats some serious damage Todd, thankfully technology is able to repair such serious injuries and speed up the recovery time. Wishing all continues to go well for you and that a full recovery is made as soon as possible. All the very best mate.

Miami Airplane Man
03-13-2010, 02:37 AM
No infections...that's the most important part. You're a lucky man! Get well soon my friend. I broke many limbs when I used to ski in Colorado.

Just remember, 100 years ago they would have lopped it off!

davesoda
03-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Glad to have you back Todd, all the best on a speedy recovery

amesmj
03-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Is that all?, thought you had done some serious damage!, only kidding, all the best for a speedy recovery

JustPlaneCrazy
03-13-2010, 04:11 AM
WOW.... :shock: Are the screws permanent?

Yep, will stay with me forever :crazy:

JustPlaneCrazy
03-13-2010, 04:27 AM
University of Kansas? You let students operate on you?

Oh yeah, state of the art, cutting edge University. The first hospital I went to said there was no way they could save my foot and the only hope was transfer to KU Med. The University team also said that amputation was a strong option and that trying to save the foot would be touch and go at best.

Are those the two students doing their homework on their laptops in one of the pics?

:lol: That's my son!

Joking aside, those are bad injuries, how did they happen if you don't mind me asking?

I was at the top of a 12 foot ladder and about 300 pounds of snow and ice slid down a canopy (felt like an avalanche), turned me around in mid air, caught my foot in the rungs of the ladder, twisted my foot in the ladder (ladder was heavy duty so my ankle snapped like a toothpick), then landed on concrete.

When I looked down, my skin was the only thing holding my foot to my leg.

cs-tbr
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
HOLLY CRAP TOD:shock: THAT'S A BONE!!!
You are not supposed to see them like that:crazy:

wish you a speedy recovery;)
Francisco

Yukon 880
03-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Geezus Todd, what a bonehead move...
Your mishap sounds exactly like something I'd do.
Rest assured, I am paying attention to this little episode and will (in the future) govern myself accordingly!

Welcome back and Godspeed the recovery!

Don

Bravo-Alpha-Golf
03-13-2010, 09:50 AM
We had a few people here in the Montreal area lose their lives because they climbed onto their roofs to remove snow after a major snowfall because there have been quite a few roofs collapsing onto the homes due to the excess weight. I assume that's what you were doing.

JustPlaneCrazy
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
We had a few people here in the Montreal area lose their lives because they climbed onto their roofs to remove snow after a major snowfall because there have been quite a few roofs collapsing onto the homes due to the excess weight. I assume that's what you were doing.

Actually, I was inspecting work done by my employee's at work, they had been clearing snow to keep our customers safe over our entrance :crazy:

StarAllianceFlyer
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Damn Todd! Sorry to see all this and do wish you a speedy recovery. And welcome back! :)

jazajia
03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Well... what I have to say is that it could have been much worse. Glad to have you back alive and in one piece Todd.

Best wishes ;)

Jorge

Peak Airways
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Fun stuff, glad to see you're done loafing. Seriously, I remember when a family of mine was hit by a semi on the Pennsylvania Turnpike while changing a tire. His arms were literally only held on by some skin and a tendon. Today he's mostly functional in his arms (a lot of metal). Recovery will come, no worries.

Tu-154M
03-13-2010, 11:53 AM
OH man, these pics are hard! I hope you recover as soon as possible! When seeing these pictures we can be glad that the medicine is so far as it is!

I wish you the best with your recovery!

Old Delta
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Hang in there Buddy! Last year at this time I was dealing with a shattered shoulder. I now have a neat titanium new shoulder.

Cpt.Canuck
03-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Whoally molly Todd. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

Planecrazy
03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
You have our most heartfelt sympathy. In 1977, my wife fell down 3 steps and broke her leg in 3 places and entirely dislocated her ankle bones. Her leg and ankle were set by manipulation WITHOUT painkillers (I still think she should have refused that).

The recuperation was long and painful and led to surgery in 1979, where they took bone from her pelvis and placed it inbetween the ankle bones, held in place with a rod through the whole area. Another painful recuperation.

It is amazing how much pain you can suffer without it killing you.

Get well soon!;)

N. Eberhard
03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Effin' A! That is some serious damage and reconstruction there Todd. Good news is that it was your leg and wrist and not your neck. Glad to hear you are on the road to a recovery. Be sure and carry a letter and those xrays the next time you fly commercially to show those TSA idiots that you are only a threat to yourself and not a threat to our country. :)

backfire
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
We are going to have to start calling you Terminator Todd!!

Nawww! Crazy will do!!! ;)

peter
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
whoa...SCARY stuff man... i hope you get well soon!;)

Capt. Rickenbacker
05-30-2010, 12:23 PM
That's a pretty hideous injury there, Todd. I can't begin to imagine how painful that must have been. I'm glad it wasn't more serious, like landing on your head. 'Course, if you'd landed on your head, I don't suppose we'd be talking to you now...you'd probably be having a conversation with the Boss.

PRESTWICK PIONEER
05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Ooooh nice PJs. Seen a lot of similar injuries lately. Get well soon, but stay grumpy!

JustPlaneCrazy
05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
That's a pretty hideous injury there, Todd. I can't begin to imagine how painful that must have been.

It's been an experience, that's for sure :o

Actually, I am doing much better than expected. The doctors said I would not put weight on the leg till the end of the year or early next year. I am now (today) using a walking boot (no cast) and can walk some without any crutches or assistance. I'm also back at work 3-4 hours a day.

I'm hoping to have enough use of my foot to fly again, but not sure.
As it is now, I couldn't apply the brakes and it would be difficult to use rudders.
I have very little 'pivot' in my foot as the bones are fusing together and no feeling at all in the bottom of my foot. I wouldn't know if my foot was on the rudder pedal or not :crazy:

Time will tell.

cs-tbr
05-30-2010, 02:06 PM
It's been an experience, that's for sure :o

Actually, I am doing much better than expected. The doctors said I would not put weight on the leg till the end of the year or early next year. I am now (today) using a walking boot (no cast) and can walk some without any crutches or assistance. I'm also back at work 3-4 hours a day.

I'm hoping to have enough use of my foot to fly again, but not sure.
As it is now, I couldn't apply the brakes and it would be difficult to use rudders.
I have very little 'pivot' in my foot as the bones are fusing together and no feeling at all in the bottom of my foot. I wouldn't know if my foot was on the rudder pedal or not :crazy:

Time will tell.

the human body is an amazing "machine" with healing powers beyond beliefyes! have some faith and no doubt sooner or later you'll achieve your goals;) you'll see;)

Icarus
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Geezus Todd, what a bonehead move...
Your mishap sounds exactly like something I'd do.
Welcome back and Godspeed the recovery!

Don

I've still got the Titanium plate (as they call it) with the screws and all holding the bones in my right arm together as a while ago, a bus cut across my path when it turned and I was doing 50 mph on impact when doing a Kamikaze into its side....the broken arm was because I was braking as hard as possible (front wheel) when I hit the bus head first. I owe my life to the helmet although I can't tell if the brain functions as well as before the accident!

CFDBASHER
10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey, come clean. We all know that your wife took the hammer to you when she saw your MasterCard statement with last months model airplane purchases.

Bash

But you have my sympathy. I've broken many bones over the years, and was lucky enough not to require any screws (but casts and braces were common). So get well soon, and ask your Doctor for Oxycodone 25-325, and a side of Roxicet-15-325. You might even see your 1/400th collection take flight.

:crazy:

just_Dave
10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
..... Hope you're continuing to do well and heal Todd. I had an open fracture in my right leg (along with all the other injuries) in Viet Nam. I'm sure I probably didn't go to the best hospital and they decided not to ship me off to Japan, but I sure had several pretty nurse on the USS Sanctuary. The bummer was I was given last rights when I arrived on the Sanctuary, but I fooled them. They fooled me as three months later I was back in the field with the Marines.
..... Heal up Todd. I feel for you in another way. I've been medically grounded since 1994 and we both know that sucks!
Dave (somehow still surviving... you will too)

Kris
10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Hope you get better Todd!! That must hurt a lot compared to me getting my finger ripped by barbwire!!
Get well very soon!!

-Kris

Chevron
10-23-2010, 11:03 PM
wow... look serious
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Reeve Aleut Peter C.
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Holy Toledo! I knew you had had an accident but I had no idea it was THIS nasty!
Looks like you were in a Logging accident!!!

A friend of mine is a famous former Pro Motorcycle Racer. And he has had serious crashes during his career including one where after he went thru the fence he 'came to' and the BOTTOM of one of his feet was facing him (but right next to his ankle!) Almost the same as yours, just skin and ligaments and blood vessles still holding his foot on.....
He said the break wasn't the big deal. But the fact there was a MAJOR artery down there that DIDN'T rip open was what saved his life. They told him he would have bled to death on his way to the hospital.....

Of course he was back at it racing once it healed.....He still rides today at 75 years old!
;)

Best wishes toward a complete recovery. You'll be fine!
:banana:

N. Eberhard
10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the safety lesson Todd. Sorry it had to be at the expense of your leg and wrist! Glad to see that you are on the road to recovery.

PeeWee
01-22-2011, 04:15 PM
When next you hobble off to the motherland you will not make it any further than the airport metal detector. And if you do make it there some enterprising Russia lad may try to sell you for scrap metal.

Peewee

PeeWee
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the safety lesson Todd. Sorry it had to be at the expense of your leg and wrist! Glad to see that you are on the road to recovery.

More like he is on the road to Veriskaya Street, Moscow.

Peewee

Chansen
01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Didn't see this thread until now! Wow that looks painful. Bet is gets worse when cold weather is around. No biomechanics added huh! Too bad you can't run faster then you use to. A TV show would be made of you!

convair 580
02-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I feel for you,I was in casts, both legs and in a wheel chair for two months and walking cast for another two. Stay positive and get better! Take care of yourself.

Aviationjumper@400SH
03-11-2011, 12:02 AM
eeeww..
Hope you are able to recover.. :)

silverbird707
03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Just reading your description Todd....hurts! dang!

Hope your better soon.

We can rebuild him......we can make him better/stronger/faster! :^^: