PDA

View Full Version : Model Review: GJ Air Tahiti Nui A340-300, also featuring photographs by Lorenzo.

Speedbird91
10-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Manufacturer: Gemini Jets
Model: GJTHT315
Airline: Air Tahiti Nui
Aircraft: Airbus A340-300
Release Date: 2003
Units: 2000
Notes: Bora Bora.

Air Tahiti Nui is French Polynesia's flag carrier airline with its headquarters in Papeete, Tahiti. It operates international services for the low and high-end leisure travel markets. Its main base is Faa'a International Airport, Papeete.
Air Tahiti Nui was established on 31 October 1996 and commenced flight operations on 20 November 1998. It is the first international airline based in Papeete, Tahiti, formed to develop inbound tourism. The Government of French Polynesia is the major shareholder (61.7%) along with other local investors. Currently, Air Tahiti Nui has 782 employees.
Air Tahiti Nui flies to Japan- Tokyo, France- Paris CDG, United States of America- New York and Los Angeles, Australia- Sydney and New Zealand- Auckland.

The Pros.
This being the first review featuring the new photos by Lorenzo, we thought what better way to celebrate than to review and photograph our favorite model.
Geminiís Air Tahiti Nui A340-300 is perhaps one of their best models released. The beautiful, cool colours of ATN painted upon a great all metal mould which screams detail makes this a prized model, virtually one of the nicest in my collection.

Letís start with the paintwork. ATNís livery is one of the hardest to replicate due to the varying shades of blue and green. The blue is especially hard because the 1:1 version will always be in different lighting conditions and the paint will also fade quickly due to changes in temperature, from the tropical Tahitian heat to the chill of New Yorkís winter. Gemini would have had a rough time trying to choose colour palates for this model from endless photographs in different locations, but whoever decided on the final palate deserves a gold medal.

The blue paintwork is about 90% correct when compared to real photographs, the blue being half a shade darker on the model, but far better than Dragonís version which I might add, was released after this model, two years after in fact. The aqua green paintwork which is seen after door three is spot on. It is very similar if not exactly the same as the 1:1 version. The two red stripes at the front of the airplane are also correct in terms of sizing and location.

The Tahitian Gardenia flower on the tail is crisp and features the same colouration the 1:1 version has, tiny blue shaded parts at the sides of the flower. It is also the correct size in proportion to the size of the tail and the flowers position is perfect, right in the middle of the tail.
The colour palates on the wings also seem correct, even the grey corroguard on the upper surface is corrrect, when compared to an airliners.net photograph. The Air Tahiti Nui font at the front of the airplane is the correct size and colour and is situated from door 1 to a little past door 2, which is seen on the 1:1 also.

Attention to detail on this model is second to none. For a 2003 dated model, the detail on this model can be compared to the latest AeroClassics sitting in stores now. Everything from the airplaneís name after the tiny islands of ĎBora Boraí, to Tahitiís flag and airplane features such as landing lights, door handles, Airbus emblem and even the tiny flower seen on the tail painted on the winglets are depicted. I especially like the very detailed engines, which feature things like reverse thrust warning signage and grey highlights on the pylons. It is great how Gemini has added detail to every part of this model including the engines which are often missed. The cabin windows and doors are framed in silver, a must, as the background is very dark and if they werenít, would just blend into the paint and wouldnít be noticeable especially from a distance.

The landing gear isnít bad either. The model isnít too tall or short and all gear is finely replicated (in metal). The tires donít roll and are not oversized, a problem that affects many models released today.

The Cons
The only real issues with this model are not that important, quite minor. Firstly, the blue on aqua green lines just after door 3 are straight when they should curve slightly, a feature Dragon Wings corrected on their model.
Geminiís A330/A340 mould has one major drawback. The wings are quite average in detail and there is no sign of any spoiler detail just above the flaps. Lorenzoís aerial photograph clearly shows this issue.

The other issue is the silver paint, or lack of, for framing the cockpit windows. That would have been a nice detail because from a distance, the cockpit windows are barely visible and you really have to look carefully to notice them at all. The silver paint used on the fan blades is another annoyance. That is really the only unrealistic feature about this model. The silver is just too stark and Ďout thereí. The dark grey used on the pylons would have been a better choice for the fan blades, because in real life they are dark, not bright silver.

There should also be a black border around the grey paint on the wings.

Comparision Q&A

Model being compared: 55402 Dragon Wings Air Tahiti Nui A340-300 ĎRangiroaí

Q: What are the main differences between the two?
A: As with all Gemini Jets models, the reviewed model is all metal, but Dragonís version has a metal fuselage, but all other parts (wings, tail, landing gear and engines are plastic. The Dragon Wings version has the black border around the corroguard on the wings but the corroguard itself, is incorrect. The Gemini model also has detail on the elevators but Dragonís remain plain grey.

Q: Which model has more detail?
A: Even with Geminiís average wing detail, their model still features much more detail on the body and paintwork than Dragonís which is bland and uneventful. Dragons does feature some detail but much of it blend into the paintwork because it has not been highlighted enough.

Q: Which model is more desirable?
A: The Gemini model is much more desirable as it is all metal and the colour palate is better than the Dragon Wings version.

Q: In your opinion, which one is more valuable?
A: Checking Ebay and DA.Cís model database, it seems that Geminiís version is more valuable as it is not available for sale anywhere and the value is significantly higher than the Dragon Wings version.

If you have any other Q&A questions please PM and I will add it to the above list.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 8.5
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 7.5
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9.0
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.5
Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.5
Verdict: 8.5/10

Final Verdict
Quite a rare model nowadays and I can fully understand why. This is the type of model that you will not want to let go. It is a great 1:400 model that replicates the real aircraft beautifully and the colourful livery is a nice breakaway from all the Euro white liveries that airlines choose to have today. Expect to pay $50 USD upwards to add this model to your collection. $50 well spent I say!

Iíll let Lorenzoís beautiful photographs finish up this review.

Groover
10-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Excellent review from the Dynamic Duo, :^^: thanks guys.

Sportyboy
10-12-2008, 03:40 AM
Very nice reading, as usual!

;)

R. Minor
10-12-2008, 07:00 AM
One of my personal favourites. Nicely done... ;)

Speedbird91
10-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks everyone, and aren't Lorenzo's pictures great? I just about fell off my chair when I first saw them...........

irishque
10-13-2008, 02:04 AM
what about the mould in general?which one represents the A340 more accurately..DW or GJ?

Speedbird91
10-13-2008, 03:36 AM
what about the mould in general?which one represents the A340 more accurately..DW or GJ?

Even with the issue of poor detail on the wings, Gemini wins best mould.
Dragon's A330/A340 nose gets a 2/10! and the engine pylons are to large.

Rwy 23
10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Excellent thread! ;) Very interesting and informative. Great pix too! :)

Definitely one of my all-time favourite models. People have asked if they can buy it off me ....... NOT! :no:

It's a keeper! yes!

CBL
10-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Nice review and pics, well done guys. The collaboration looks productive and beneficial to all of us ;)

ATN is one of my favourite airline for a long time. I don't have the GJ version yet because I did not really looked after it. I preferred to possess the DW Rangiroa because of its better quality-price ratio. I am now waiting for the delivery of the Herpa A342.

I don't want to contradict Adam but here are a few comments on the DW version, as illustrated by a little photo poster (I am not as good as Lorenzo for taking and editing pictures).

I find that the amount of details in printing is really similar. I don't care at all about the plastic wings, in fact I find them better, thinner and nicer than the GJ ones. Very few diffrences indeed between these two models. The most evident one being the vertical stab/fuselage seam of the DW. I don't see a problem with the pointer nose, it looks more realistic to me than the rounded GJ nose.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/pgmerle/SPOwYB4Kj7I/AAAAAAAABQ4/NxY5zT0aAC0/s800/ATN%20A340%20F-OSEA%20006.jpg

Sportyboy
10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Nice Phil and thanks for the kind comment!

;)

What pisses me off the most about DW A340s is the off-shaped cockpit; other than that, I cannot find any other fault!

CBL
10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
What pisses me off the most about DW A340s is the off-shaped cockpit; other than that, I cannot find any other fault!

I trully agree with you still don't understand how consistently they manage to fu$%# their cockpits. The first A380 was again incredibelly missed and hugly!

Sportyboy
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
The cockpit issue ruins a model otherwise nice (and this applies to a lot of DW models, be them A340s or not).

Thank God I replaced the DW A380 with the much better Phoenix version!

;)

transnat
10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
An outstanding review. I flew to and from Tahiti with ATN recently and would now LOVE a GJ version. I have the DW 200 and 300 releases but the 300 just doesn't cut the mustard.

I may be waiting a while I suspect.

Tnat

Speedbird91
10-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Nice review and pics, well done guys. The collaboration looks productive and beneficial to all of us ;)

ATN is one of my favourite airline for a long time. I don't have the GJ version yet because I did not really looked after it. I preferred to possess the DW Rangiroa because of its better quality-price ratio. I am now waiting for the delivery of the Herpa A342.

I don't want to contradict Adam but here are a few comments on the DW version, as illustrated by a little photo poster (I am not as good as Lorenzo for taking and editing pictures).

I find that the amount of details in printing is really similar. I don't care at all about the plastic wings, in fact I find them better, thinner and nicer than the GJ ones. Very few diffrences indeed between these two models. The most evident one being the vertical stab/fuselage seam of the DW. I don't see a problem with the pointer nose, it looks more realistic to me than the rounded GJ nose.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/pgmerle/SPOwYB4Kj7I/AAAAAAAABQ4/NxY5zT0aAC0/s800/ATN%20A340%20F-OSEA%20006.jpg

The Gemini nose as seen in Lorenzo's pictures is noticeably better than DWs. Dragon have stuffed their cockpit windows and their engines are horrible, just look at those pylons in your photos.
Detail is far better and much more realistic on Gemini's version.
You would also expect that as Dragon's version was released after the Gemini model, far more attention to detail and colour palates.

Also, I don't know if you noticed but the wing corroguard on the Dragon ATN is wrong! It shouldn't be shiny for one.

Yukon 880
10-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Excellent review from the Dynamic Duo, :^^: thanks guys.

Our very own modern-day Batman and Robin.
Superb review! ;)

Boy Wonder does a fine job with the photography as well.
:lol:

Sportyboy
10-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks Don!

;)

Speedbird91
10-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Our very own modern-day Batman and Robin.
Superb review! ;)

Boy Wonder does a fine job with the photography as well.
:lol:

Thanks for your support Don.

garyw77
10-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Excellent combo, review and pics!!
So what do we call your partnership then? ...Speedboy or Sportybird?? :^^:

DC-8-556
10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I've read this review many times, as usual, very good info, and now with Lorenzo's photo's it's a double shot! ;)

I love 4 engined airliners, but I don't own even one A340(400th scale). I like the plane, but just have been too busy with others. Reviews like this make me take note. It is time to secure an A340.

Nautione
10-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry I missed out on that one :cry:

Kappel
10-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Even with the issue of poor detail on the wings, Gemini wins best mould.
Dragon's A330/A340 nose gets a 2/10! and the engine pylons are to large.

I can even live with the bad nose, but the engine pylons on the DW a343 are just terrible! One of the worst mistakes I ever saw on a mould.