Speedbird91
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Model: BB4-2004-XXX
Airline: Qantas Airways
Aircraft: 767-336/ER
Release Date: 11/27/2004
Units: 204
Notes:

Qantas was founded in Winton, Queensland on 16th of October 1920 as Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited by Paul McGuiness, Hudson Fysh, Fergus McMaster and Arthur Baird. The airline's first aircraft was an Avro 504K purchased for £1425. The aircraft had a cruising speed of 105 kilometres per hour (65 mph) and carried one pilot and two passengers.
Qantas' main international hubs are Sydney Sydney Airport and Melbourne Airport. However, Qantas operates a significant number of international flights into and out of Brisbane Airport, Perth Airport, Singapore Changi Airport, Los Angeles International Airport and London Heathrow Airport. Its domestic hubs are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth airports, but the company also has a strong presence in Adelaide, Cairns and Canberra airports. It serves a range of international and domestic destinations.

The Pros
This has got to be one of the best 767 models of all time, and i'm not just saying that because I'm an aussie.
The printing on this model is just excellent and the printing finish is smooth and accurate.

The bold Qantas logo is in the correct position and the font of the registration, logo and titles are all correct in terms of colour and font.
The red tail is the correct shade of red unlike Phoenix's bright red nightmare, and the gold border is crisp and bright.

This model is teeming with detail. It features everything from the pull down door handles to 'no step' titles on the wings and even the kangaroo on the engines.

The cabin windows and cockpit are clear and feature silver borders which highlights each window rather than making them blend into a massive long black stripe down the fuselage.
Lading gear is good and this model doesn't feature the stupid useless rolling gears that AV400 adopted on this mould when they started using it.

The Cons
The wing seem is the only thing that is a negative on this mould. A shame that Big Bird did not change it like AV400 had done later down the track but as I say 'If it isn't broken, then don't fix it'
The same cannot be said for DWs once fantastic 767 mould, now featuring an oversized bold nose.

The other issue this model has is that the ebgines are white instead of the usual QF greay paint on their RRs.
But this issue is not one that bothers me in the slightest.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 8.5
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 9.5
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 10
Value (Price, Money well spent): 9.5
Verdict: 9.5/10

Final Verdict
I let the pictures below do the talking but I must say if you ever find this model, BUY IT!
One because it is extremely rare at only 204 pieces and two it is one of the best QF models in our hobby.

A must have model in any collection. ;)

R. Minor
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Love that model... And really love those RR engines.

L-1011-Heavy
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Review Is Tops! I Still Think The Nose And Cockpit Needs Tweaking, But The Big Bird/Aeroclassics 767-300 Is Still Quantum Leaps Above All Others. Agreed 100% On The Details.
I Bought All 3 Versions PlusThe Ausatralia-Asia, But My Retailer Really Soaked Me On These. Money Was Still Well Spent, But I Was Hosed A Bit. But Then Again, Qantas Models Are Usually Premuim.
Here's A Few Pics Depicting Those Very Nice Details.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/QF_763_TAXI_R.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/QF_763_Left_Rear.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/QF_763_Nose_Profile_Close.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/QF_763_Center_R_Angle.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/QF-763_Rear_Door.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/DSCF1071.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/L-1011-Heavy/Qantas/Australasia_763_QF_Fleet_Gate.jpg

Speedbird91
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Great pictures.
Sorry I have been using the sites pictures but my camera is being fitted for a cover.

cougar
06-21-2008, 12:49 AM
very nice pictures, I still need one or 2 to finish up my collection then will post some pics

QFA388
06-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Adam,
Besides the engine colour you forgot the second worst mistake and that is putting the reg. on top of the starboard wing.
I have looked down on ZXC many many times from the SYD Qantas Club and the reg. absolutely is not there.

Groover
06-22-2008, 02:55 AM
As we have all come to expect, this yet another great review Adam. I am interested to hear which of your score categories (Detail, Printing, Quality, etc) were affected by the white as opposed to grey coloured engines. I myself would buy this model in a heart-beat because it looks great; because of your recommendation; and because I've flown in it. However, to some collectors, I'm sure that the engine colour flaw would be quite an issue. Getting back to your scoring criteria, I note that for 'Printing' which includes colour and finish; and for 'Quality' which includes finish; this model scored a straight 10. Whilst you have made it quite clear that the engine colour issue didn't fuss you too much, I think it should have made some impact on the score.
Please don't consider this to be any critizism whatsoever to your excellent review. I am merely asking that if a model does have a distinct flaw which doesn't cause you any concern, will the flaw be considered in the context of the overall scoring criteria.
Regards
Ray

transnat
06-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with Groover. The grey engines on these members of the fleet are a feature that is quite obvious when you see the two variants side by side on the ramp. If I knew where I could obtain some RR decals, I would re paint my model.

A friend of mine who flies the 767 for QANTAS commented when he saw my two models "the rollers don't look right mate!"

Aside from that, it's a stunning release.

Tnat

DC-8-556
06-22-2008, 06:00 PM
These reviews I do like, and read over more than once. Since I'm not overly knowledgeable on some models, it helps if I consider to get one in the future.

p.s. Adam, the quick overview on Qantas is fascinating;) I can't believe I actually have a living grandparent that outdates Qantas! :crazy:

Abraxas
06-23-2008, 04:53 AM
I had similar thoughts to Groover and Tnat regarding the scoring of the Print accuracy. This model 'can't' score a 10 with the engines the wrong colour. No matter how small an issue it is to a collector, it is still an issue... I know, I know, if we don't like it, we should do our own... but it was just something I picked up when I was reading through. I thought Printing might score an 8 or a 9, so surprised to see a 10.

It is an awesome model - but I don't think there any 1/400 QF B767 releases with the grey RR engines? (Except possibly the Socceroo's '06 livery?)

Anyway, I'm not criticising or complaining as such - rather, I think I'm just making an observation. We all love our Qantas birds and these B767's are rare as anything these days, so white or grey engines, she's a great part of my Qantas fleet :)

Dan

Groover
06-23-2008, 05:05 AM
...but I don't think there any 1/400 QF B767 releases with the grey RR engines? (Except possibly the Socceroo's '06 livery?)...

Agree, I checked my cabinet and deduced the same.

QFA388
06-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Print accuracy is one thing but what about additional printing?
The reg. on the wingtop does not exist so I put that down to poor research.

Groover
06-23-2008, 06:00 AM
...I can't believe I actually have a living grandparent that outdates Qantas! :crazy:

Chris, you are indeed blessed to have an Octogenarian or Nonogenarian as a grandparent.

QFA388
06-23-2008, 06:52 AM
and these B767's are rare as anything these days, :)

Dan

So the two that I have are in good hands then!:banana:

DC-8-556
06-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Chris, you are indeed blessed to have an Octogenarian or Nonogenarian as a grandparent.

You're right!. Sorry for being off-topic, but talking to a 90 year old is like a walk back thru time, no book or movie can replicate. Sure, facts get muddled, but my grandmother sure has seen alot, and still has all her faculties. It is very interesting to just sit and listen. 1918 was a long time ago....

Speedbird91
06-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Print accuracy is one thing but what about additional printing?
The reg. on the wingtop does not exist so I put that down to poor research.

That is bothering you really badly Tim.
It is funny that normally we all b itch when there is not enough detail and 'extras' are also not good enough.
:)

Thanks for the observations guys on the fact that the printing should not be a 10.
It in fact should not be, and ill change it to a 9.
I was writing this review at 11:45 at night and the tiredness and excitement of looking at this otherwise beautiful model made me too generous.

Thanks for your support.

QFA388
06-24-2008, 07:04 AM
That is bothering you really badly Tim.
It is funny that normally we all b itch when there is not enough detail and 'extras' are also not good enough.
:)

Thanks for your support.

Not bothering me at all and I know I'll sleep tonight.

If a review discusses accuracy, then let the model be accurate not artificial "extras" as you call them. In this instance the 'extra' is not reflective of the 1:1.
I am just pointing out a flaw like the other guys were when commenting about the engine colour, and in the same way Gavin may comment about models with coro issues being inaccurate.

Speedbird91
06-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Not bothering me at all and I know I'll sleep tonight.

If a review discusses accuracy, then let the model be accurate not artificial "extras" as you call them. In this instance the 'extra' is not reflective of the 1:1.
I am just pointing out a flaw like the other guys were when commenting about the engine colour, and in the same way Gavin may comment about models with coro issues being inaccurate.

I agree with you Tim.
Now I stand at my display and everytime I look at this model that rego is bothering the hell out of me.....
:lol:

transnat
06-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree with you Tim.
Now I stand at my display and everytime I look at this model that rego is bothering the hell out of me.....
:lol:

And because of it's position on the wing, it's too risky to remove it.

Tnat

ACMS
06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
3 observations:

1/ the leased 76's from BA all have cockpit windows without silver window frames/edges, they are white to the glass. unlike the QF owned 76's

2/ the RR engine exhausts on the model are too fat/wide at the back, they are pretty good but a little too big and out of proportion.

3/ yep, the rego on the upper right wing isn't correct.

Otherwise it seems fine.

aloha
08-02-2008, 12:42 AM
I Just got this model and it is a beauty... Worth the extra expense, and I also have the Aeroclassics Qantas, but still need the other Big Bird model.

ACMS
09-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Slight correction to my last comment

The L2 and R2 ( sliding windows ) cockpit window frames on all the x BA RR QF 76's are WHITE and not silver, Unlike the QF 76's

A small thing and possibly too hard to replicate.