PDA

View Full Version : Model Review: DW SriLankan A330-200

Speedbird91
06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
After being tied up in tradesmen turmoil........I'm Back!

Model: 55327
Airline: SriLankan Airlines
Aircraft: A330-243
Release Date: 9/22/2001
Units: Limited
Notes: 2nd A330 mould

SriLankan Airlines Limited (previously known as Air Lanka) is the national airline of Sri Lanka. It operates an Airbus fleet of 14 aircraft to destinations in Asia, Europe and the Middle East. SriLankan's hub is located at the Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) in Colombo.

The Pros
Of fine models which have slipped under the radar, this model can be included in that sub group.
This model which features the very simple yet elegant design of SriLankan's colours, is painted upon the once fabulous DW 2nd A330 mould before they when on a few years latter and stuffed the nose,for what reason I don't know.

The priniting on this model is nothing short of excellent, correctly positioned and in the correct font and colour palate.
The model features glossy silver coroguard on the upper wing surfaces and the model has a fair amount of detail upon it.
Features such as the tiny Sri lankan flag behind the cockpit windows, exterior electrical plugs, A330 logo, and engine logos adorn this beauty.

The doors feature handles and the tiny peep windows and the printing of the cabin windows and cockpit is clear and crisp encircled in silver framing giving the model an authentic, acurate look.
Overall finish is perfect wth no scratches, chips or nicks.

The Cons
Not many problems with this model but I found that the grey colour on the wings is off and looks fake which spoils the fantastic accurate printing.

The engine detail, although featuring the airlines logo, is far from superior and bland, like eating a piece of toast, having that crunch and crisp you love, but not putting butter or conserve to make it extra tasty.
The colour of the engine interior is crap to say the least. It is bright silver and far from the real colour of the 1:1 version which features black fan blades.
Other model companies have successfully painted their engine blades in black, thus giving us a far greater rendition but while these companies have moved on and improved, Dragon to this day is still painting the engine blades silver.
Go Figure>

Front landing gear is too short and the aircraft slants forward like an embraer jet.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 8
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 7.5
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9.5
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 10
Value (Price, Money well spent): 9
Verdict: 8.5/10

Final Verdict
Putting the little cons aside, this is overall a great model which would complement any collection easily.
Finding this model is not hard at all and can be located in many sale or bargin bin areas of retailers and online stores which is suprising considering it's not your average airline and replicated on a good mould.
I picked mine up for 16 bucks, which was a bargin if you ask me.

Do yourself a favour and next time you're placing your order, add this model to the order list.

You will not be disappointed!

Jr.Lopez
06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Got mine... =)

R. Minor
06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Excellent review as always. Very informative...

L-1011-Heavy
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
About 58 Moons Ago When I Went On My First Buying Binge I Came Within Inches
Of Buying This, But Priority Liveries Took Precendence.
Air Lanka No Longer Fits In My Criteria Of Collecting As I'm Focussing On Retro Liveries
But It Is A Nice Model And A Good Buy.

rafa28_alq
06-28-2008, 10:01 AM
If I find that at a low cost, I will buy it for sure!!

R. Minor
06-28-2008, 11:44 AM
If I find that at a low cost, I will buy it for sure!!

Rafael,

I know that http://www.airplanesuperstore.com has them for 24.00 USD. Not sure what the P&P to the EU is.

I can tell you that I have purchased from them for years and their service is impeccable.

Speedbird91
06-29-2008, 05:16 AM
I can second Ron.
The guy that owns airplane superstore is fantastic.
To bad he doesn't carry AC, BB, etc.

QFA388
06-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Me haves this and me likes this model.

Speedbird91
06-29-2008, 05:23 AM
I don't know if it visited ADL but I remember standing at the window at night in the international terminal in SYD and seeing this baby resting alone.

QFA388
06-29-2008, 05:32 AM
No, not to my knowledge. I would be grateful for a diversion to ADL tho.

R. Minor
06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
I can second Ron.
The guy that owns airplane superstore is fantastic.
To bad he doesn't carry AC, BB, etc.

I wish he carried AC also. Superb service from him and his wife.

titanic777
10-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Nice review Adam, one thing that no manufacturer has done right is the A330-200 Tail yes its taller but its also has a bigger surface area, it is the same tail "Vertical stabilator" used on the A340-500/600. Dragonwing, Gemini and Phoenix please used that one. Am I being a pain now?

Speedbird91
10-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Nice review Adam, one thing that no manufacturer has done right is the A330-200 Tail yes its taller but its also has a bigger surface area, it is the same tail "Vertical stabilator" used on the A340-500/600. Dragonwing, Gemini and Phoenix please used that one. Am I being a pain now?

No, that is a valid point.
Silly how 1:400 manufacturers are concentrating on less than important things such as rolling landing gear but cannot even fix small issues like swapping a tail. :crazy: