Speedbird91
04-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Model: 55438
Airline: Continental Airlines
Aircraft: 777-224/ER
Release Date: 9/2/2002
Units: Limited
Notes: Peter Max ~ NYC 2000 Livery, Airshop Taiwan Exclusive

We all know that Continental is a large American airline so I won't go into too much detail there but here is a brief history of the artist who's work is featured on this 777.
Peter
Max was born as Peter Finkelstein in Berlin, Germany, and was raised in Shanghai, China, and in Israel before his family settled in the United States of America in 1953.

The young artist trained in New York at the Art Students League, Pratt Institute, and the School of Visual Arts. After completing his studies, Peter Max opened a design studio and gained success as a designer for books, posters and products. Max closed his studio in 1964 and began making his signature colorful silkscreens. Max's work played significant role on making Indian mural paintings. Max's first work was in 1959.

The Pros
As soon as I saw the 1:1 version in airways magazine years back, I knew I had to have it in the 1:400 scale.
This model is simply radiant and very alluring.
Everytime I have someone viewing my collection, this particular model is always pointed out, even against the Singapore Airlines 'Tropical' livery and Malaysia Airlines 'An experience redefined' models, to name a few.

The printing on this model is fantastic and reaches my expectations, as they should being solid, non complex colours which are not hard to replicate.
The attention to detail is also well appointed.
Everything from the most basic reg number, windows and doors both with silver framing and handles and signs on the latter, to 'N Y C 2000' and 'Peter Max' titles are featured on this model.
'No Step' printing on the wings and landing lights are also featured.

The Continental logo is the correct size, font and shade of blue as is with the tail and the globe even features the gold paint replicating the longitudinal lines as seen on the 1:1 versions.
The gray colour on the wings and engine nacelles is correct and to me the corroguard looks ok.

I like the landing gear on this model and the ability to prop the model up on it's also colourfull stand and adjust the wheels so it gives us the impression that the model has just lifted off the runway, but not yet retracted the landing gear.
The main and nose gear are both quite accurate thanks to the use of plastic thus being much more realistic then Gemini's 777 gear and to some extent Phoenix's, which is oversized, inconsistent and of poor quality much like some of Phoenix's models, really.

The overall finish, quality and the mould itself are all of superb quality and the moderate level of detail is also shown.

The Cons
One thing I don't like about this model and the Dragon Wings 777 mould is the vague nose.
It isn't 777 like and is more of a light slant rather than the typical yet supple nose highlight of the 777 which Gemini Jets successfully executed on their mould.

A little more detail would not have gone astray either, to be honest. While this model isn't short of it, it certainly could use more.
How about some engine detail, a feature Dragon Wings executed well in previous models but absolutely none on this model.
Did someone at Dragon forget to paint the forward cargo door?
The outline of the main cargo door is so faint, that I needed to put the model under a very bright light.
While a cargo door should not stand out too much, a little highlight would make it more realistic, then none at all.

As with all Dragon Wings models, this model has the DW characteristics of the plastic wings, engines and tail as well as the landing gear.
The positive of this is that there is more detail from this feature but anyone that does not like plastic in their collection should opt for the Dream Jets version.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 8.0
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 8.0
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9.0
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.0
Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.5
Verdict: 8.5/10

Final Verdict
Whether it be the Dream Jets version (Gemini Jets mould) or this model, if you can find this model, add a piece of Pop Art to your collection.
Personally, this model is superior to the Dream Jets version even with it's plastic apointments.
It is quite rare to find this model and at a reasonable price too, but if you do come across this beauty, add it to your collection of other artworks and you have the bragging rights of owning a Peter Max piece.

I apologise for using database pictures but my camera has been packed away due to the moving of house saga...

:)

L-1011-Heavy
04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
"Radiant & Alluring" Are The Best Adjectives To This Model.
Well Done. Near Perfect Review Although I Would Have Given It A 9.5.
I Would Like To Point Out The Cockpit Is Far More Accurate Than The Dreamjets Version Too.

ba777-236
04-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Nice review, Adam.

I 'settled' on the Dreamjets version as I couldn't get the Dragon at an affordable price; even when they first came out.

Certainly is a bright scheme, but I think out of the two, Dragon did the better job.

convair 580
09-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I have DW version and we love it.

titanic777
09-19-2008, 07:43 PM
One major con, it has the wrong engines and engine pylons but hey it's still a great model I bought both the Dragonwings and the Dreamjets.

Chansen
09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I bought both ended up giving away the Dragon one for a auction for a local airliner club.