PDA

View Full Version : Model Review: DW Far Eastern Air Transport 757-200 'TML edition'

Speedbird91
03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
I decided to take a trip to the far east.....
Actually it was just a roll on my chair from the desk to the cabinate to grab this model but you get the idea..... :oops:

Im trying to set a scene here.....!

Model: 55485
Airline: Far Eastern Air Transport, FAT
Aircraft: Boeing 757-2Q8
Release Date: 3/31/2003
Units: Limited
Notes: Airshop Exclusive Only.

Far Eastern Air Transport is an airline based in Taipei, Taiwan. It operates domestic services from Taipei and Kaohsiung to five regional cities and international services to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Palau, The Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam. Its main base is Taipei Songshan Airport.
The airline was established in 1957 and started operations in November 1957. It was the first privately owned airline in Taiwan. It originally focused on charter flights until the introduction of scheduled services in January 1965. It started cargo operations in the Asian region in 2004. The airline has 1,220 employees.

The Pros
I love this model, it is a very nice getaway from all the more common airlines.
The model is pretty much perfect if you can handle plastic wings. If you can't then you are missing out on a fabulous yet obscure little airline from the Far East. But remember that plastic shows more detail and this model is full of it.

From the printing which is superb, to the font and colours which are the correct size, texture and colour.
The model features spoiler and flap detail and has the silver coroguard paintwork on the the correct grey wings.
The TML scheme, Chinese characters and tail logo 'FAT' are all PERFECT!!

The engines are correct (PW) and feature the Pratt and Whitney logo of the soaring eagle.
Detail such as electrical plugs, wipers, landing lights, door handles, silver outlines of the windows and black nose are executed well.
There are soo many little knick Knacks that I still get excited looking at this model after owning it for a year.
Even details such as the green and red navigational lights are depicted on this model.

Lets just say that this model takes Gemini's mould into the ground hands down.
A fantastic mould and great choice of airline make this a fantastic model.

The Cons
Only two issues, major one is the fact that the bottom of the tail has been cut or moulded straight and therefore when glued to the body, isn't flowing with the curvature of the fuselage but rather and a straight 180 degree angle, so there is a little gap between the base of the tail and the fuselage but nothing really major.

The left engine is sloping in a downward angle but the angle is not as severe as with the BB400 747-400 engine pylon issues.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 9
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 9
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 9
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 8.5
Value (Price, Money well spent): 9.5
Verdict: 9.5/10

Final Verdict
The DW 757-200 mould is by far the best 757 mould in the 1:400 scale today.
A real shame though that Dragon Wings doesn't use it often enough.
As for the choice of the airline, some may not like the choice or have appreciation for it but DW have completely nailed this model.
As with all the DW FAT 757s, this model has become quite rare and I can fully understand why.

A true gem. :)

If you are looking at the background in the pictures and think that I have fully lost it, your not far off, but I could not find a suitable Oriental background so these Chinese Zen bells did the trick.

Speedbird91
04-06-2008, 01:30 AM
So no one likes this model.....?
Interesting.

L-1011-Heavy
04-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Indeed The DW 757 Is Highly Accurate, And Is By Far The Best 757 Out There. But IMO Is Not Flawless. The Wings Are A Bit Thick For Starters. If You Have The RR Powered Version, The Cowl Walls Are Too Thick As Well.
Most Noteably Is The Lobe Line Scoring. It's Far Too Deep. The Lobe Line Is Almost Discernible On The 757, But At Least It's There. Gemini Never Even Seemed To Bother.
Greatest Feature Of The DW 757 Is The Nose & Cockpit. That Makes 75% Of The Model For Me.
As Far As FAT Is Concerned, I Like This Livery. I Had An Opportunity To Buy One From My Local Dealer For 40 Bucks & It Came In A Large Plastic Case With A Kind Of Paper/Card Diorama.
After Agonizing & Haggling I Passed. I Already Blew 700 Bucks That Day On Some Serious Sold Out Grails
I'm Glad You're Fond Of This Model. Shame DW Never Uses It. So Much Potential....

Speedbird91
04-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Compared to the other 757 moulds, it flawless.

davesoda
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Nice review as usual Adam, however not my flavor in livery. However I do agree that the Dragon 757 is a fantastic mould, I love my Singapore Airlines 757!

DC-8-556
04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Do I like the livery? Not really.
Do I like the plane? Yes.
Do I like reading your reviews? Absolutely.;)

YU-AMB
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I heard somewhere that DW doesn't use the 757 mould because the mould went bust a while ago. There were those gorgeous looking AA 757s that were announced years ago and never released. Does anyone know more details?

L-1011-Heavy
04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I heard somewhere that DW doesn't use the 757 mould because the mould went bust a while ago. There were those gorgeous looking AA 757s that were announced years ago and never released. Does anyone know more details?

There Were All Kinds Of Rumours Over Several DW Moulds Including The 1011.
DW Did Move Their Factory Right At The Time The AA Were Announced. I Wonder If Several Moulds Had To Be "Left Behind" In The Old Factory.
In The AA Situation I Also Can't Help Wonder If DW Licencing Ran Out With AA & They Tried To "Slip" One More Model In.
Look At The Air Canada 744 For Instance. Model Was Announced But Not Released. Mould Is Still Active As We Seen Plenty 744s Since & Plenty Air Canada.
Perhaps The New Owners Of Air Canada Did Not Want Any Of The Older Colors Prtrayed?
Who Knows, But We Do As Collectors Lose Out Due To Behind The Closed Door Conferencing.:cry:

aerozo
04-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I have this model as well, and it's absolutely gorgeous.

TRON
04-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I got this model a long time ago.
The review is right on the mark.
Well done.;)

--------------------------------
Dimitri