For those of you that love a hot, fast, sexy Virgin... :^^:

Supersonic Voyager.....

Model: GJVIRXXX
Airline: Virgin Atlantic
Aircraft: Concorde
Release Date: 3/4/2004
Units: 2000
Notes: Metal Box.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. (operating as Virgin Atlantic) is a British airline which is owned by Richard Branson's Virgin Group (51%) and Singapore Airlines (49%). It operates long-haul routes between the United Kingdom and North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia from its main bases at London Heathrow and London Gatwick. Virgin has a smaller base at Manchester Airport. The company holds a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Type A Operating Licence, which permits it to carry passengers, cargo, and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats. Virgin Atlantic carried around 4.6 million passengers and made an annual profit of 31.4 million in 2006.
Virgin operates the 747-400 and A340-600.

The Pros
The striking livery of Virgin Atlantic with silver pearlescent paint adorning the sexy concorde make this model truly irresistible and a must have for any collection, although the ability to find one at a reasonable price is something different.
I honestly can say that I am not a fan of fantasy models but this one is by far the best fantasy around.
Although there is no 1:1 version to compare this model to, Gemini have depicted the Virgin titles and logo accurately, and the 'Virgin Atlantic' titles are a 'billboard' type size at the forward front of the aircraft.

The Font of the "Mines faster than Yours" and "Supersonic Voyager" slogans and "CONCORDE" titles is the correct Virgin font and the tail logo is the correct boldness and size to tail size ratio.
The dark blue colour around the tail and rear fuselage encasing the violent red is the perfect colour blue as seen on Virgin aircraft, not too dark but not too light either.

I especially like the way Gemini decided to include the Virgin flag carrier maiden and paint the engines in the bright red as featured on the tail.
Some detail such as printed vents, basic doors and landing lights and other minor details are on display.

The Cons
One thing that bothers me about this model is the huge seem running all the way down the side of the fuselage and wing. It sticks out like dogs balls and wrecks the model's overall appearance because you cannot help but constantly stare at it everytime you gaze upon the otherwise beautiful complexion.

The red colour on the tail and engines is far to bright and should be a few shades darker.
The windows and to some extent cockpit are not that noticeable because the dark grey colour of the windows blends in with the silver pearlescent paintwork, thus giving the illusion of a fantasy freighter Concorde rather than a PAX version.

The model has some detail but overall lacks the detail found on the far superior Dragon Wings/ Jet-X Concorde mould.
Features such as the ribbed wings, detailed intakes of the engines and landing gear doors that are actually part of the mould and not painted on are non existent on this model as they are on the DW/JX mould.
The landing gear is too chunky and is reminiscent of a 747 not the slender legs of Miss Concorde.

The shape of the nose is not way off but not at all accurate either and the wings are quite rounded and slowly curve around unlike the DW version which has very sharp cuts and curves in the wings, much more realistic on DW's part.

One final gripe, the tail is not inline with the paintwork on the fuselage and therefore gives the final product and imbalanced look.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 6.5
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 6.5
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 7.5
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 9.5
Value (Price, Money well spent): 8.5
Verdict: 8.0/10

Final Verdict
I gave this model a higher value rating beacuse as many who are searching for this model would know, it has become a very rare collectors piece and I only know of one on sale right now on ebay in the virginfans section.
I feel that this model is a fantastic insight into what may have occured in the aviation world and too bad that Lady Concorde could not stay around a bit longer, because she would have looked mighty fine in this colour scheme.

I would say that the main thing that takes points off this model is that bloody ugly seem, but if you can forget about this negative and do ever come across this hard to get model, snap it up and let it grace your collection.

:)

GliderPilot
03-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Personally speaking, I'm glad the real aircraft never saw this livery.

soobhash
03-28-2008, 06:42 AM

I think that too! This livery is Fugly on that airframe.:00::00:.. I hate fantasy models!

Speedbird91
03-28-2008, 07:02 AM

And why is that?
It would probably never happen due to the fact that the paint would have been too much weight, thus may effect Concorde's performance.

GliderPilot
03-28-2008, 07:05 AM
It looks too brash for my taste on this classic airframe. You are right about the paint scheme though. It has to be white for technical reasons.

backfire
03-28-2008, 11:10 AM
The Cons
One thing that bothers me about this model is the huge seem running all the way down the side of the fuselage and wing. It sticks out like dogs balls and wrecks the model's overall appearance because you cannot help but constantly stare at it everytime you gaze upon the otherwise beautiful complexion.

Yuck! I don't like "Dogs Balls" on my airplane models so I definitely won't be getting this one!!! Bash

Backfire

Jann Eejit
03-29-2008, 05:05 AM

I would have liked a white livery Virgin fantasy to be honest, as that is what it would have flown in had Branson's audacious plan come to fruition... That said, I have this one and it does what it was intended to do, it made for a nice little curio for inflight sales and became one of those 1:400 cult pieces.

As with the other Virgin releases in this livery, I think they got the base colour a little wrong. I know we've already had debates about the true colour and how difficult it is to replicate metallic or pearlescent tones, but I can't help thinking Gemini could have done a little more work on these. When they released the Birthday Girl 744 and then the new livery pair last year, I felt they'd gone from one extreme to the other, with the pale washed out tones seen on the new 744 and A346. But to be fair, even if you witnessed the same Virgin 1:1 aircraft on a daily basis, it's probably going to look different under every varied lighting condition.

TK-421
03-29-2008, 05:23 AM
I like mine. My one and only fantasy apart from Charlize Theron.
Trent

TK-421
03-29-2008, 05:41 AM
One other thing.
If you think Dragon's Concorde is good, go get yourself a Herpa 1:400 Concorde.
IMO, the best of the bunch.
Trent

aviatorisu
03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
This is one of my most prized models based on availability out there. I like the overall look and presentation of it as well in its tin box with collectors' card. Glad I sold my SMAC Frontier 732 before the bubble burst! ;) I MAY be a little GJ bias, I'll admit that, but consider how long ago this model was made before being so harsh on its quality.

Z

Speedbird91
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
This is one of my most prized models based on availability out there. I like the overall look and presentation of it as well in its tin box with collectors' card. Glad I sold my SMAC Frontier 732 before the bubble burst! ;) I MAY be a little GJ bias, I'll admit that, but consider how long ago this model was made before being so harsh on its quality.

Z

What are you talking about?
It was released in 2004, so the date excuse doesn't quite cut it.
Perhaps if it was the first Concorde produced in 1999, then yes a tad harsh but 2004.....

Jann Eejit
03-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Z

I had to think about that one myself. It's the same mould as the current Gemini Concorde is it not ? :-?

egpx
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I had to think about that one myself. It's the same mould as the current Gemini Concorde is it not ? :-?

The mould itself first appeared in 2003 so it is a bit middle aged by now. I don't have a DW Concorde (though I keep meaning to try and source G-AXDN) but I've got a Herpa. I agree that the mould is a bit more refined than the GJ but the model is not as well printed IMHO. No matter who makes them they all have that seam and with the light colours they are all painted in it is hard to disguise it. Herpa's fin seam is also more pronounced than the GJ.

Great review Adam ;)

aviatorisu
03-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Yes it is, but it never would have paid for itself to develop a new Concorde mould for so few release options. Either way, I still love having this model.

Z

Sabena747
04-01-2008, 05:34 AM
One other thing.
If you think Dragon's Concorde is good, go get yourself a Herpa 1:400 Concorde.
IMO, the best of the bunch.
Trent

I got 4 Herpa Concordes. They are all great. Only DW that would interest me is the pre-production AC, BUT.... those aircraft still had the small tailcone, unlike the larger one from the production ACs.

Herpa only has two flaws: at 1:400 I think they should have done the 'moustaches' and the visibility of the 'drooped' nose should have been better too.. Otherwise I fully agree this is the best mould around.

Jann Eejit
04-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I got 4 Herpa Concordes. They are all great. Only DW that would interest me is the pre-production AC, BUT.... those aircraft still had the small tailcone, unlike the larger one from the production ACs.

I think you may be mixing up the first two production Concordes (as represented in the Dragon releases) with the two prototypes which had the shorter tail cone and pre-production visor. And come to think of it, that's another two Gemini could have done to help justify that all expensive re-mould. Not to mention, the one from the Airport 80 movie and the 'British' livery negus.

Sabena747
04-15-2008, 03:05 AM
I think you may be mixing up the first two production Concordes (as represented in the Dragon releases) with the two prototypes which had the shorter tail cone and pre-production visor. And come to think of it, that's another two Gemini could have done to help justify that all expensive re-mould. Not to mention, the one from the Airport 80 movie and the 'British' livery negus.

Correct, those are the ones i meant.

About the airport 80... perhaps that is a bit sensitive since the plane that stood model for that film was the very same that crashed in Paris. The model already exists in the old AF livery (made by Gemini).

QFA388
04-17-2008, 06:27 AM
The DW prototypes had the extended tailcone or is that what he said!?

The GJ version is quite winkydink and toy-like but the Herpa is fine and petite.
I would prefer HE to release the redtail, redtail Braniff and the BA/SQ.

Jann Eejit
04-17-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure if he meant he wanted a short tail prototype version or if he thought the long cone production versions were wrong in the house colours releases (which they weren't)...

Either way, I've yet to see the Herpa mould for real, maybe I should investigate. The Dragon mould suffers from excessive tooling on the wing detail, giving a rutted 'rain gutter' effect which is mildly distracting. The sharp end also appears to be attempting to morph into 1:500 scale, compared to the Gemini version.

QFA388
04-17-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure if he meant he wanted a short tail prototype version or if he thought the long cone production versions were wrong in the house colours releases (which they weren't)...

Either way, I've yet to see the Herpa mould for real, maybe I should investigate. The Dragon mould suffers from excessive tooling on the wing detail, giving a rutted 'rain gutter' effect which is mildy distracting.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the HE version. I is extremely well made. I agree with the DW wings. Too much scribing.

Here is the HE and big-brother Hogan together.
Both are beautifully executed. Both the same reg. too.
G-BOAE

Groover
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the HE version. I is extremely well made. I agree with the DW wings. Too much scribing.

Here is the HE and big-brother Hogan together.
Both are beautifully executed. Both the same reg. too.
G-BOAE

Tim, Is that the same rego of the one on which you travelled?

TK-421
04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Herpa mould was retooled before producing the excellent Landor model.
I saw a Herpa Union Jack Concorde and the rear of the model was very fat from where the fuselage leaves the wing leading to the rear point.
This was in direct comparison to the sleek Landor model.
Trent

QFA388
04-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Tim, Is that the same rego of the one on which you travelled?

Indeed it is Ray.

Abraxas
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
A question for anyone who owns the Virgin Atlantic Concorde:

Is the card that comes with the model supposed to be numbered? All of my other GJ VS releases include the card with Sir Richard's signature etc and tells me my model is number XXX of how ever many, but my Concorde only tells me it's one of 2000. Just wanted to check this is what everyone else has?

Dan

transnat
07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Excellent report on a real collectors item.

Sure it never flew, but it wasn't for lack of trying on Sir Richard Bransons part. I'm pleased to have one in my collection.

Tnat

Jann Eejit
07-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Correct, those are the ones i meant.

About the airport 80... perhaps that is a bit sensitive since the plane that stood model for that film was the very same that crashed in Paris. The model already exists in the old AF livery (made by Gemini).

Yes but as it wasn't doing a 'cameo' role, so to speak, it could still be released as a reg free model or perhaps it in fact assumed a fictional reg for the movie..?

VS747
04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
This is a great model, Love your pictures.

I have been after this a for a long time now, As part of my many Virgin Atlantic models. I remember flying with VS back in 2003, The virgin concorde was in the inflight shop but you had to ring up to buy it. They never sold it on board :evil:

Back then it was £18.50, Now it goes £80+ on ebay, God why they never sold it on board i don't know.

This was so close to being real, But BA basicly told Virgin were to go. Its not surprising after all they hate each other.

If any of you guys are selling a VS Concorde, Please let me know.

Here is my Virgin models, On youtube :

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K5k844lPMl0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K5k844lPMl0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

P/S : Sorry for bring this old thread back !

backfire
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
OH Boy!!! Virgins on Youtube!!! yes! yes!

OH Yeah! WELCOME to The Forum!!! :wave:

Sal :lol:

I saw the Video!!! Shakira Shakira!!!

DPS1
04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
I just snapped up the little Virgin yesterday, little pricey but not my most expensive.
The Virgin bubble wil probably burst next month when its released by phoenix.

Considering the popularity of Virgin why have phoenix never made a virgin model or BA.

transnat
04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
One of the only fantasy models in my collection. I love it.

Tnat

Jet 8595
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
This a really Nice model;), I would have liked to see it in this but also the white colours;)

VS747
04-09-2009, 03:23 AM
This a really Nice model;), I would have liked to see it in this but also the white colours;)

Yer, I would love to see a concorde model come out in the new livery. I think that would just look FAB !!
Like their Airbus A340-300 fleet, I did't like them too much, But now seeing it in the new livery I love and think it should be flagship !

Jet 8595
04-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Great Choice there;)

VS747
06-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Its a real shame this model goes for around &#163;100+, It should be in my collection but at those prices, Dream on ......

Miami Airplane Man
07-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Too bad that plane is extinct, like so many other flawless jets that could still be produced or at least flying if it weren't for 9/11 , China/India's fuel demand, or union labor costs...

As far as I'm concerned, 9/11, China/India and unions could cease to exist and I wouldn't flinch.