PDA

View Full Version : Model Review: GJ GSE

Speedbird91
03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
I apologise for the late review but I have been in hospital and didn't get a chance to do my reviews earlier.
With all the requests for a GSE review, I write you this quick review...

Model: GJGSE1
Airline: Generic
Aircraft: GSE
Release Date: ?
Units: N/A
Notes:

Cannot remember the release date, anyone know? The GSE set came out with the terminal but the date...?

The Pros
When I saw that Gemini Jets were releasing a GSE set, I went to pre-orders and put my name down for three sets.
It was fantastic that another company was releasing GSE the others being Dragon/Jet-X, Herpa, Big Bird 400 and the O.K AeroClassics version.
I loved the fact that unlike the AC and Jet-X versions which were airline GSE, the GJ version was a plain generic version.
With it being quite hard to find the Dragon and White AC sets all of which I have one white AC set, it is good that GJ came along with their 1:400 rendition.

This is a great set for dioramas which are anything from the late 1960s to the 1970s & 80s themed airports.
The white and blue colours are only used as a light outline to give the GSE it's shape and do not take away from the overall apperance and detail.

Speaking of detail,
The large bus, air stairs, catering truck and the other GSE have transparent windows which vector the eyes in and frame the cabin, seats and other features.
But you can decide whether or not you like this feature.

The Cons
I am rather disappointed with this GSE set, to be honest.
The quality is a shocker.
The paint is chipped on most of the vehicles and the metal/plastic had not been properly cleaned prior to the paint application thus diplaying small, uneven lumps and bumps with a rough texture.
Overall finish is poor with the white and blue paint mixing in joints and glue which seeped out onto the outside apon application.

The air stairs are bent, the catering truck wobbly and any slight bump let alone if you drop the GSE will cause you to spend the next 2 hours trying to piece the thing together.

I don't know what Gemini was thinking but this set does not match the futuristic terminal it is meant to pair with.
Perhaps Gemini should consider releasing a Dragonesque version to fit the terminal.

It probably isn't worth the $20 and the set is not even metal but rather a cheap and rough plastic.

That is enough.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Frame): 7.5
Detail (Doors, windows, lights, vents, etc): 8.5
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 7
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Finish): 4
Value (Price, Money well spent): 6
Verdict: 6.5/10

Final Verdict
I have herd many reports that collectors are just not happy with the quality and craftsmanship of this GSE set, and I don't blame them, its crap.
To be fair though, if you cannot get your hands on the Dragon/ Jet-X versions or even the AeroClassics sets, then this set is a good subsitute.
Just fly in more classics to suit.

:)

DTWMetroSkies
03-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I couldn't agree more with the review, Adam. I bought two sets, and I'm not sure if I want to buy any more (but what choice do I have?).

There are also other things I’d like to point out. The fact is these GSE's can't even work properly. The tractor cannot hook up with the carts/containers. The tow bar cannot hook up to the tugs, mainly because I think the tugs are too high leaving the tow bar hanging in air while hooked up to the plane. Either way, you can’t really fasten anything up.

The only one's I'm ok with is the bus, belt-loader, and the fuel truck.

It looked good in pictures, but not too exciting in person.

Speedbird91
03-15-2008, 10:39 PM
I couldn't agree more with the review, Adam. I bought two sets, and I'm not sure if I want to buy any more (but what choice do I have?).

There are also other things Iíd like to point out. The fact is these GSE's can't even work properly. The tractor cannot hook up with the carts/containers. The tow bar cannot hook up to the tugs, mainly because I think the tugs are too high leaving the tow bar hanging in air while hooked up to the plane. Either way, you canít really fasten anything up.

The only one's I'm ok with is the bus, belt-loader, and the fuel truck.

It looked good in pictures, but not too exciting in person.

Thanks for pointing that out.
I have also experienced this.

Otavio Santos
03-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Again a very good review Adam. I also got disappointed about the GSE available in the die-cast arena.

BTW, are you feeling better? I do hope so buddy.

DC-8-556
03-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Hope you are feeling better Adam. Nice review;)

GSE is still a stickler with me. I've collected the old and new GJ jetways, along with GSE sets. AC GSE sets, along with some Herpa stuff too. I'd like to
see more stuff in this category released. The airplanes are 1st and foremost, the GSE is a great add-on to a collecter, especially for one like me that still wants to build his 1st 400th diorama.

Yukon 880
03-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Enjoying the reviews here, Adam.
Do hope you're feeling much better by now!

1:400 Collector
03-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Good review. It's refreshing to here both sides so collectors can make an educated opinion .

Speedbird91
03-17-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm feeling much better, thanks for the concern and glad every likes the review.
I was a bit worried as it is much harder to write a review on GSE rather than models.

erwiesdha
03-21-2008, 03:09 AM
Unfortunately we there's little number of GSE found in Market..this GJ GSE is without a doubt is something what i looking for...anyway great reviews...

QFA388
03-21-2008, 03:22 AM
I will probably consider this set if I do a retro diorama but in hindsight, I am glad I bought 8 sets of the DW GSE when they were released. At the time I thought it was actually a waste of money but now I'm glad I did.

L-1011-Heavy
03-21-2008, 04:00 AM
I Like The Large Bus & Fuel Truck!. Agreed On The Stairs & Catering Truck. Flimsy & Falls Down As Pictured.
And What Are Tose 2 Utility Trucks That Look Like Some Soert Of Water Tankers? Tow Tugs? Waaaaaaaaytyyyyyyy Too Tall!