PDA

View Full Version : Model Review: BB The Hawaii Express 747-100

Speedbird91
02-23-2008, 06:20 AM
For the second review, I thought I might share with you a very controversial piece of art if you will, which was produced, released and totally forgotten about.

Model: BBXXXX
Airline: The Hawaii Express
Aircraft: Boeing 747-100
Release Date: 12/1/2006
Units: Very Limited
Notes: Jason Stewart

Not much is known about this model and even the database on this site doesn't have any pictures of the model so below are some exclusive pictures.
Apparently this model is a BigBird fake which means it was definitely made after the colapse of BB400 with the name BigBird used illegally.

The airline, The Hawaii Express was short lived just like the model company the 1:400 model came from. Flights began on August 20, 1982 with a fleet of DC-10s and a 747, with the airline offering cheap tickets form LAX to Honolulu.
Flights were suspended December 20, 1983.

The Pros
The simple yet colourful livery of Hawaii Express on the 747 mould is pure elegance.
The model is quite detailed and features many little suprises including doors with red markings and handles, cargo doors with handles, electrical sockets for GPU, beacons, landing gear doors, etc.
An airline from one of the most beautiful places on earth!

The Cons
Unfortunately the Cons list is longer.
Let me start off by saying this is definitely not your typical BigBird model and it is a shame because this airline deserves to be represented on a great mould.
The mould, although not as bad as BBX's is still a shocker.
The cockpit is far from accurate, and someone must have had too much good booze because the cockpit windows are waaaaay to high and probably from the 1:500 scale.
The main Hawaii Express logo is the correct font and is OK but the logo on the engines is not the same font as the previous titles. Someone went on to Microsoft Word, typed in 'The Hawaii Express' in size 0.0002 Times New Roman font with Caps lock on and pasted it on number 1& 4 engines.
Come on, blind Freddy could see that was a shonky cover up, sweep under the rug job! Arrrghhh!!
The wing seem is huge and you can see glue coming from inside the wing root.
Engine pylons bent and landing gear is too fat!
The finish of the model could be better. Excess glue seeping out of crevasses, paint chips near the tail due the the tail not properly fitting into it's slot and dusty wings which had been painted before a quick clean all could have been avoided.

Below are ratings out of 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being excellent.
1: Worst
2: Bad
3: Poor
4: Could be better
5: Satisfactory
6: Average
7: Good
8: Great
9: HOT!
10: Excellent

Mould (Airframe): 6
Detail (Inc. Spoilers, Flaps, Gear bay doors, Cargo Doors): 8
Printing (Accuracy, Colour, Finish, Correct Fonts): 6
Quality (Any Scratches, Chips, Bent Pylons, Finish): 7
Value (Price, Money well spent):7
Verdict: 7/10

Final Verdict
For anyone who loves Hawaiian models, if you can get your hands on this model, add it to your collection as we will probably never see it made on a better mould plus for a satisfactory model it is very hard to find.
This model looks great next to the JX DC-10s even though it doesn't feature the distinctive bold white pineapple on the tail.
The quality drawbacks and poor mould are the main things that spoil this model and I only wish that BB400 could have done it. :)

Next week reviews include:
> AC LOT Polish Airlines 767-300 Warsawa
> DW Far Eastern Air Transport (FAT) 757-200 Baseball edition
> Perhaps one more.

soobhash
02-23-2008, 08:08 AM
excellent review!!! what was visibly shocking when this bird came out was the minuscule and wrongly printed cockpit... Concerning the review, I would suggest several parameters to be considered grouped differently: 1)mould,2) printing including details. Each of these fundamental parameters will be noted on 10. Average gives quality marks. Average price paid (in USD) will also be noted. We can establish a price:quality coefficient, for ex: a AC 747 which has the maximum marks for quality. Average costs for AC 747 is 35USD, meaning the average coefficient for a 747 is 3,5. When reviewing a particular plane, if the coefficient is less than 3,5 then you can interprete it as ideal( good mould and certainly good price= good deal), if it's above( poor qualityand :or high price).. Waiting for your ideas guys!!!

Speedbird91
02-23-2008, 09:24 AM
excellent review!!! what was visibly shocking when this bird came out was the minuscule and wrongly printed cockpit... Concerning the review, I would suggest several parameters to be considered grouped differently: 1)mould,2) printing including details. Each of these fundamental parameters will be noted on 10. Average gives quality marks. Average price paid (in USD) will also be noted. We can establish a price:quality coefficient, for ex: a AC 747 which has the maximum marks for quality. Average costs for AC 747 is 35USD, meaning the average coefficient for a 747 is 3,5. When reviewing a particular plane, if the coefficient is less than 3,5 then you can interprete it as ideal( good mould and certainly good price= good deal), if it's above( poor qualityand :or high price).. Waiting for your ideas guys!!!

Too confusing!
Lets just leave it the way it is. It is easily set out and everyone understands...
One feature that i will think about adding is the current value of the selected model in review.
Glad you liked the review.

M2O.chicago
02-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Speedbird91, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and review the plane you did. I enjoy it quite a bit and look forward to future reviews.

Good Work,

Mike

CBL
02-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I also think it is an useful review. Thanks for sharing.

cmnguyen
02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you for sharing such a professional review.

Speedbird91
02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys for all your comments, the reviews this week were trials to see if people like them and whether it was worth my time, obviously it is!
Cheers!

crazy4747's
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Definitely worth the effort. I share most of your views on this model. I am happy to have it as I too feel that it won't be made by anyone else. Thanks for the time and effort.

21 left
02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Very nice review. I was one of the few who got this model when it came out and I was debating whether to sell it. Based on your review I think I'm going to keep it due to its rarity.

By the way the reference to the lack of a pineapple logo on the tail may imply to some that this is a mistake on the model but the actual Hawaii Express 747 scheme did not have a pineapple on the tail.

transnat
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Great review. Well done.

Tnat

cougar
02-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Good job mate, always nice to hear a reveiw where the person has done their homework

Otavio Santos
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Great review Adam. I will vote for you as the "collector of the year".

Thanks buddy.

Speedbird91
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice comments, it great to see that everyone likes the reviews.
And thanks Otavio for your support.